PDA

View Full Version : What is a squad for?

Jumoschwanz
11-28-2004, 07:55 AM
I have flown online servers with just about every squad known for the last three years(not as a member of course but along side them in battle).

Many of them help train each other in the art of flying and teamwork.
Some of them promote chivalry and honor and help one another become better human beings.

Are there any other things squads do for thier members?
I was wondering because if they do not do any of the above then what are they for? Because when something in society is nothing but a title for prestige, it is usually BS. S!

Jumowschwanz

GvSAP_Wingnut
11-28-2004, 08:18 AM
We offer a comprehensive healthcare plan and a robust 401(K).

HeinzBar
11-28-2004, 08:26 AM
S!,
JV44 was created for fun, competition, debating history, and most important, friendship. I would like to think that all the guys in JV44 would come together if a team mate was in trouble...real life that is. Friendship, be online or RL, is still friendship. We all know that there are varying degrees of it, but it must be a core requirement within a squad. All members must get a long. Some of the JV44 members include, a biologist, a lawyer, a police officer, real estate agent, and many other professions. As you can see, this is a diverse group of occupations and flying this sim online has brought all these professions together in friendship.

JV44 has made some donations to some members that were having some difficulties in the past. I'm sure we will continue to do so in the future. Each member helped has expressed his appreciation for the squad's help.

I can't speak for other squads and their attitudes towards others, but I can say that the gents in JV44 have no problems helping others. That must count for something.

HB

Jambock__01
11-28-2004, 09:38 AM
The 1st Brazilian Fighter Squad - Jambock is made for friendship. We always have great times meeting eatch others for beer and family meetings, its very nice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Swivet
11-28-2004, 09:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GvSAP_Wingnut:
We offer a comprehensive healthcare plan and a robust 401(K). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL,but no dental plan!

Tooz_69GIAP
11-28-2004, 09:48 AM
Well, it's more fun to fly with guys you know and like, and get on comms and have a laugh, and the 69th was formed for this. Most of us enjoy shooting the sh1t for a while about whatever (normally WWII stuff, or just aircraft in general), and then shoot each other down in our dog server!!

I think it's more about just being around folks that are like minded, which makes you enjoy what you do that bit more.

trumper
11-28-2004, 10:44 AM
I belong to 242 squad and many of us have met up and have become good friends.In fact the friendships are more important than the flying.

Dunkelgrun
11-28-2004, 10:49 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trumper:
I belong to 242 squad and many of us have met up and have become good friends.In fact the friendships are more important than the flying. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spot on. Met up with some of these guys and now count them among my good friends.

Cheers!

Dunk, aka 242Sqn_Cat.

BM357_Raven
11-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Dunno 'bout other squads, but our squad does a lot of drinking together. So it's like visiting your favorite pub, but never having to drive home after.. You know the tune "Sometimes you wanna go where everbody knows your naaaAAAMMMMe."

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

But seriously, we also offer a girlfiend and wives' support group, children's daycare and evening care till 2 AM, oh, and we're discussing a full service pet kennel in the near future for those annoying pet distractions. No more having to let the dog our in the middle of an important co-op.

We also have dancing girls on Friday and Saturday nights. Poker night on Thursdays. A trip to the city on Monday's for those who are off-duty, plus snack and coffee machines.

That's why we are recruiting.. We have massive overhead, and need another 350,000 in revenue to help float us.. Otherwise we'll either have to scrap the daycare and support group or the dancing girls...so uh, right now it's not looking good for the wives and kids... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

ZG77_Lignite
11-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Our squad has alwayse been about friendship, we do everything that friends do (except over long distances, most of the time). Since our inception, we have stayed in near perfect communication, we generate anywhere from 500 to 2000 emails a month. The first real 'extra-squad' acitivity we did was a small fundraiser for a community member's (different squad) grandson who was sick. Our tech guru's have built computers, our travelers have taken vacations with other members. We exchange christmas cards, phone calls, mail and 'spare parts'. We support each other through real life ordeals (to me thats been worht a Lot). We offer each other windows into other cultures and backgrounds, and its Interesting! I know most of these guys nearly as well as my best friends, and trust them as well too. We have squabbles and growing pains like any family, but we can almost alwayse work things out.

Though computer gaming (and specifically flight-simming) is a big part of what we do together, really its just a small part of what we really mean to each other. I wouldn't have it any other way. I've alwayse maintained that ZG77 is not a squad, but a way of life http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

GvSAP_Dart
11-28-2004, 01:42 PM
We have a 401(k) and healthcare?

I have GOT to start reading the memos.

BSS_CUDA
11-28-2004, 03:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GvSAP_Wingnut:
We offer a comprehensive healthcare plan and a robust 401(K). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats it?!?!?!?! heck we also give free memberships to Hooters http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

GvSAP_Wingnut
11-28-2004, 04:39 PM
Hooters is a bit of a sleigh ride from Vaenga, so we just fly 'em in:

http://www.2gvsap.org/wingnut/bobbie.jpg

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
11-28-2004, 05:54 PM
typical conversation with one of my squad mates

sqaudie one: Rolling

squadie two: thats what you think w4nk3r

kaaaabooom

squadie one: Offs thats the second fooking time you bloody well vulched me. are you gona let me take of or not!!

squadie two:heheheh you did it to me last week

clicks re-fly

squadie one: ohh yeah thats true ok well anyway seriously are you .....

Boooooom

squdie one: Arrrgh man I swear I am gona tear you a new one in a minit if you dont pack that in!!

squadie two:teheheheh

squadie one: w4nk3r

ect ect

Slantaye
11-28-2004, 11:51 PM
squads for online combat were originally conceived for tournaments. you had to be in a squad to be in a tournament. there were many tournaments and maybe 70 squads in janes world war 2 fighters in 1998.

other more primative online flight sims had online wars. these necessitated squads also.

that is the main reason for online squads and how they came about in the late nineties.

the second reason is 2 pilots are 4 times as dangerous as 1. no thats not a miscount. 2 pilots acting in unison on voice comms can easily take on 4 or more pilots not in a squad and not on comms. IF they are good.

if you wish to fly effectively in online wars or online tournaments or just fly in warclouds without getting shotdown ever...well then you need to be on a squad to do it.

if all you do is fly online pitoff dogfight servers you dont really need to be in a squad. but try going into AFJ server by yourself with 6 of them on comms in there. its suicide. just take a hammer to your monitor itll be shorter and less painful.

so its your choice fly alone or fly squad. but most squads require you to be on high speed internet and have voice comms. the good squads at least.

TgD Thunderbolt56
11-29-2004, 08:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tHeBaLrOgRoCkS:
typical conversation with one of my squad mates

sqaudie one: Rolling

squadie two: thats what you think w4nk3r

kaaaabooom

squadie one: Offs thats the second fooking time you bloody well vulched me. are you gona let me take of or not!!

squadie two:heheheh you did it to me last week

clicks re-fly

squadie one: ohh yeah thats true ok well anyway seriously are you .....

Boooooom

squdie one: Arrrgh man I swear I am gona tear you a new one in a minit if you dont pack that in!!

squadie two:teheheheh

squadie one: w4nk3r

ect ect <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't know we were in the same squad! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Anyway Jumoschwanz is just spamming...must be bored.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
11-29-2004, 10:29 PM
I guess its a universal failing you know its wrong but some times it feels soooooooo right http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif