PDA

View Full Version : Hands-On Preview of Assassin's Creed

WeWantEasy
11-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Found this for all of you.
Clickedy click. (http://www.gamerwithin.com/?view=article&article=2779)
"For those of you who have been living near the earth's core in attempt to find a heat source due to an impending ice age and have just resurfaced to find that we are killing the planet via global warming, Assassin's Creed is an Action/Adventure that pits you as one of the mysterious Hassassin's (the historically accurate name for an assassin in those times) during the period of the crusades in the holy kingdom of Jerusalem. Ubisoft have kept very tight lip on intrinsic aspects of the story but for the most part you will be planning and carrying out assassin attempts within the city whilst keeping out of the way of the people and guards.

The visual style of Assassin's Creed is just oozing with depth and detail. To start your HUD looks very futuristic and sleek but it manages to fit in quite nicely with the visual style whilst asking a question as to how this fits in with the game's setting. One part which you have probably seen is when you climb on top of a church and sit on top of the cross which outlooks most of city. You can really see just how beautiful the city looks whilst looking upon the people walking around on the ground, which when you really look at, is an amazing feat as to how they kept that sort of draw distance in the game. This game is an amazing graphical feat and you really need to be playing this on a big screen TV to enjoy just how beautiful this game is. I plan on upgrading... do you?

The controls are probably one of the areas that hasn't really been touched or talked about and no doubt people are worried about just how responsive the controls are. Whilst it may vary between players, Assassin's Creed control scheme will probably incur a lengthy learning curve. It's not that the button location and what they do that are awkward but it's a game that relies so much on timing and precision with button presses and this is especially seen in the combat. But before we head on I will just give you a quick run-down of the overall control scheme. I didn't get to play too much so I wasn't too sure what the triggers were used for as I didn't play in any combat situations, but the analogue sticks control your movement and camera, the d-pad selects your various weapons like daggers, sword, fist(holster) and with each weapon comes a serious of context sensitive buttons that are assigned to the colourful buttons. So, say you were just running around normally, the A button will do your running, free-running and blending in while you other buttons will push the crowd out of the way and if they become too much of a pest you can beat them out of the way. I found it quite interesting that most of the beating was done upon the women on the night (which of course drew the guards attention).

Combat is an aspect that the game encourages you to use as a last resort and it's probably one of the most difficult aspects of the game as it can prove to be very punishing if you're not too good with the timing of the actions, but when timed properly is very rewarding. When forced into combat the first thing you notice is the AI and how they precisely surround you, making it hard for you to run through and get away so if you are surrounded be prepared. For the most part you will be relying on the guards to make the first move, giving you a little bit more time to counter attack and slay your enemy in more satisfying ways. Once dealt with, it isn't over there, as guards will be on the lookout for you so you will need find a place to hide or blend in. A couple of blending-in situations was to find a group of monks and pose as one of them moving around the city. Another was sitting in a corner and looking like a beggar or hiding in one of the many hay carts. If none of these are immediate options you will no doubt be free running through either the many corridors or rooftops in the city. All of this is done with the A button.

Overall it is easy to say we have been spoilt this year with the quality of titles that have surfaced on all platforms, but I think it's only been the tip of the iceberg with many other promising titles like COD4, Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed just around the corner leaving nothing to complain about. For me, the only complaint is the lack of time I have to play them all. Assassin's Creed is shaping to be a Game of the Year contender and whilst there is a deep learning curve in the controls, I believe that there is plenty of reward in them that will keep you enticed and immersed in this visual delight."

WeWantEasy
11-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Found this for all of you.
Clickedy click. (http://www.gamerwithin.com/?view=article&article=2779)
"For those of you who have been living near the earth's core in attempt to find a heat source due to an impending ice age and have just resurfaced to find that we are killing the planet via global warming, Assassin's Creed is an Action/Adventure that pits you as one of the mysterious Hassassin's (the historically accurate name for an assassin in those times) during the period of the crusades in the holy kingdom of Jerusalem. Ubisoft have kept very tight lip on intrinsic aspects of the story but for the most part you will be planning and carrying out assassin attempts within the city whilst keeping out of the way of the people and guards.

The visual style of Assassin's Creed is just oozing with depth and detail. To start your HUD looks very futuristic and sleek but it manages to fit in quite nicely with the visual style whilst asking a question as to how this fits in with the game's setting. One part which you have probably seen is when you climb on top of a church and sit on top of the cross which outlooks most of city. You can really see just how beautiful the city looks whilst looking upon the people walking around on the ground, which when you really look at, is an amazing feat as to how they kept that sort of draw distance in the game. This game is an amazing graphical feat and you really need to be playing this on a big screen TV to enjoy just how beautiful this game is. I plan on upgrading... do you?

The controls are probably one of the areas that hasn't really been touched or talked about and no doubt people are worried about just how responsive the controls are. Whilst it may vary between players, Assassin's Creed control scheme will probably incur a lengthy learning curve. It's not that the button location and what they do that are awkward but it's a game that relies so much on timing and precision with button presses and this is especially seen in the combat. But before we head on I will just give you a quick run-down of the overall control scheme. I didn't get to play too much so I wasn't too sure what the triggers were used for as I didn't play in any combat situations, but the analogue sticks control your movement and camera, the d-pad selects your various weapons like daggers, sword, fist(holster) and with each weapon comes a serious of context sensitive buttons that are assigned to the colourful buttons. So, say you were just running around normally, the A button will do your running, free-running and blending in while you other buttons will push the crowd out of the way and if they become too much of a pest you can beat them out of the way. I found it quite interesting that most of the beating was done upon the women on the night (which of course drew the guards attention).

Combat is an aspect that the game encourages you to use as a last resort and it's probably one of the most difficult aspects of the game as it can prove to be very punishing if you're not too good with the timing of the actions, but when timed properly is very rewarding. When forced into combat the first thing you notice is the AI and how they precisely surround you, making it hard for you to run through and get away so if you are surrounded be prepared. For the most part you will be relying on the guards to make the first move, giving you a little bit more time to counter attack and slay your enemy in more satisfying ways. Once dealt with, it isn't over there, as guards will be on the lookout for you so you will need find a place to hide or blend in. A couple of blending-in situations was to find a group of monks and pose as one of them moving around the city. Another was sitting in a corner and looking like a beggar or hiding in one of the many hay carts. If none of these are immediate options you will no doubt be free running through either the many corridors or rooftops in the city. All of this is done with the A button.

Overall it is easy to say we have been spoilt this year with the quality of titles that have surfaced on all platforms, but I think it's only been the tip of the iceberg with many other promising titles like COD4, Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed just around the corner leaving nothing to complain about. For me, the only complaint is the lack of time I have to play them all. Assassin's Creed is shaping to be a Game of the Year contender and whilst there is a deep learning curve in the controls, I believe that there is plenty of reward in them that will keep you enticed and immersed in this visual delight."

dd22cowboys
11-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Good work man.

lostassassin123
11-07-2007, 05:09 PM
It`s time for a review.....not hands-ons. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif