PDA

View Full Version : Beaufighter torque

Aaron_GT
10-30-2004, 04:50 AM
The Beaufighter in real life was said to have torque on take off which required full rudder to compensate for, but in PF it seems to be relatively mild (just like in Target Rabaul too, before Stiglr jumps in!). Is this due to generally low take off torque on all planes in FB/AEP/PF, is there something specific that can be done to make the Beaufighter more accurate, or was the Mk. 21 reengineered in real life to reduce the effects of torque (changes to the fin?).

VVS-Manuc
10-30-2004, 09:51 AM
torques are a bad joke in FB + AEP and in PF too

Aaron_GT
10-30-2004, 10:34 AM
The Beaufighter is more mild than most, when it (at least the Mk. I, the Mk. 21 has a modified fin) was supposed to require almost full rudder on take off. If the required torque of the Beaufighter on take off was up with the most severe torques possible given the limitations of the physics engine then it would be fair enough.

Aaron_GT
10-30-2004, 10:37 AM
On the other hand, apart from some minor graphics glitch, I am pretty happy with PF. It is proving to be a lot of fun.

NegativeGee
10-30-2004, 10:44 AM
I guess the thing with IL-2 in general is that torque is quite mild. So even with the strongest setting the game engine can manage is not really very apparent, and you have to fit all planes relative torque onto this narrow scale- you can't just max. torque on one plane out to try get it closer to reality.

So for the moment if you want to wrestle torque T:R seems the best place to do it.

Stiglr
10-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Heh, Aaron, you seem to have missed the Target:Rabaul tweak made to the Beau torque. Some of us had been noticing the Beau to be a little too light on it's feet for such a big, ugly mo'fo', and a change was made to it.

And you're right, the effect is not spot on in Targetware, either, yet... but it's certainly MUCH, MUCH more of a factor there, in takeoffs, and in in-air handling than it is here.

Aaron_GT
10-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Stiglr,

I haven't noticed any recent updates when running the client, but then I was away for a couple of weeks so if there is a new update for TR then I won't have seen it yet.

Aaron_GT
10-30-2004, 02:00 PM
Back in the days of the original IL2 demo, I am sure torque was much more of an issue in the P39 in the demo, somewhat of the level of the P40 in TR.

Stiglr
10-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Aaron,

IIRC, Baders made the beau adjustments and ran the model on his "Baders Training Server". Provided the new model passes muster with the FM gurus, it will take a while before it actually gets loaded onto the official Targetware server.

Aaron_GT
10-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Thanks, Stiglr, I'll wait until it becomes official.

I was wrong about the fin of the Beaufighter in the game. I had thought the mark portrayed would have been one of the thimble-nosed variants with the extended fin fillet, but now I've looked at the externals I see it isn't!