PDA

View Full Version : [NB Question]Is it possible to play with a gamepad

ybfelix86
11-25-2008, 08:35 PM
a logitech PS2-style one

Got a 1946 pack, it's dirt cheap, but can't afford a joystick right now. Besides I want to try the game out to decide if it's to my taste

I don't expect to be playing like a pro with gamepads, but is it tolerable (at least)? i.e. shotting down enemies isn't hair-pulling frastrating, comparing to doing that with a joystick.

[the only "flight-sim" I ever played were Crimson Skies, Heroes of the Pacific and the like. I am eager to learn, but don't like to start with a crippling disadvantage http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ]

ybfelix86
11-25-2008, 08:35 PM
a logitech PS2-style one

Got a 1946 pack, it's dirt cheap, but can't afford a joystick right now. Besides I want to try the game out to decide if it's to my taste

I don't expect to be playing like a pro with gamepads, but is it tolerable (at least)? i.e. shotting down enemies isn't hair-pulling frastrating, comparing to doing that with a joystick.

[the only "flight-sim" I ever played were Crimson Skies, Heroes of the Pacific and the like. I am eager to learn, but don't like to start with a crippling disadvantage http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ]

Lurch1962
11-25-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm reasonably sure it will work, as it's USB, but Yikes! Even though you have two analog 'sticks' (and I use the term 'stick' with tongue firmly planted in cheek), their very short throw will quite possibly drive you to despair. Even with a 'proper' joystick offering near to two orders of magnitude finer control, one must still use some degree of finesse when trying to hit targets. Sure, basic flight should pose no great challenges, although landings (and perhaps take-offs) could get hairy.

If you're committed to learning this game, do go ahead and try your gamepad, but get a 'real' joystick ASAP. It'll be an entirely new experience.

Zeus-cat
11-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Download my training campaign and give takeoffs and landings a try. I think you will see you need a proper joystick. You can get cheap joysticks that will be better than the gamepad.

na85
11-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Is it possible to FLY with that gamepad? Yes. Is it possible to fight effectively with that gamepad? No way.

Stiletto-
11-27-2008, 05:21 PM
It would probably be alot easier if you edited the axis linearity zones so they don't move around the aircraft much at all until you go full lock on the analog sticks.