PDA

View Full Version : OT Scumware - I felt like a fight.

Waldo.Pepper
02-09-2005, 09:18 PM
So I am fixing a friends computer. He must have an idiot for a son who clicks yes no matter what the dialogue box reads... plus he uses tons and tons of P2P sharing software... so what do you expect.

It took about ten hours of struggling but I won in the end. Of course the smart way was a reformat but that feels too much like surrendering.

Anyway - here is part of what I wrote to him about his computer.

In order to clean of your computer one cleaning program was insufficient. I needed to use the following incredible list of them to clean the computer out. In a perverse way it was fun and I learned a bit too! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Microsoft Antispyware.
Hijack this.
Ad Aware
Pest Patrol
Trojan Hunter
Spybot
CWSchreder
CCcleaner

By one count I fount 868 examples of spyware/adware/scumware infesting your computer. Antivirus found 60+ different virus’ on your computer.

-----

Upshot: His computer is perfect now.

I win.

Waldo.Pepper
02-09-2005, 09:18 PM
So I am fixing a friends computer. He must have an idiot for a son who clicks yes no matter what the dialogue box reads... plus he uses tons and tons of P2P sharing software... so what do you expect.

It took about ten hours of struggling but I won in the end. Of course the smart way was a reformat but that feels too much like surrendering.

Anyway - here is part of what I wrote to him about his computer.

In order to clean of your computer one cleaning program was insufficient. I needed to use the following incredible list of them to clean the computer out. In a perverse way it was fun and I learned a bit too! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Microsoft Antispyware.
Hijack this.
Ad Aware
Pest Patrol
Trojan Hunter
Spybot
CWSchreder
CCcleaner

By one count I fount 868 examples of spyware/adware/scumware infesting your computer. Antivirus found 60+ different virus’ on your computer.

-----

Upshot: His computer is perfect now.

I win.

Zneg1
02-09-2005, 09:25 PM
That feels like going and fighting in Okinawa !!!

When I experienced the same situation on a friend's computer I just asked for the B-29s to deliver the 'Fat Man and Little Boy' on the HD...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif YUP, FDISKed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LEXX_Luthor
02-09-2005, 10:16 PM
Yep, right now I have Windows on its own partition. If I need to re~format, piece of cake.

I also have the contents of hardware drivers like mobo and video on the next partition, so just load them from there instead of from their CDs.

mortoma
02-09-2005, 10:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
Yep, right now I have Windows on its own partition. If I need to re~format, piece of cake.

I also have the contents of hardware drivers like mobo and video on the next partition, so just load them from there instead of from their CDs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, your way is a smart way of doing things.
But there are many ways to skin that cat. Personally I don't play the partition game, I just have several cloned copies of Windows, both Win98SE and WinXP, as I have in my possesion 7 hard drives in all. And I have PF+FB+AEP on all of them. And some never go on the internet at all, some do. The way you do it is smart but the whole entire drive could go bad ( it has happened to me ) and in that case you still lose everything on all partitions. The way I do it enables me to always have multiple bootable drives no matter what happens. Hard drive are cheap these days, they nearly give them away.

HotelBushranger
02-10-2005, 06:14 AM
Nah, don't trust ghost's and clones.

I tried ghosting my boot drive, it brought with it all the crud that made me re-format in the first place.

I tried cloning my boot drive, it brought with it all the crud that made me-reformat in the first place, AND it was un-removable until I re-did my computer AGAIN

In the last attempt, did nothing, I'm fine, all I've got is some anti stuff.

WOLFMondo
02-10-2005, 06:44 AM
Symantec Ghost is a excellent bit of software. We've used it at work for years.

Its easy to use and very reliable, we use it on the 100+ PC's that make up are testing compatibility range at my work.

WWSensei
02-10-2005, 07:51 AM
HotelBushRanger,

It seems you misunderstand what Ghosting a drive means. It means making an exact copy. If you clone/ghost a messed up drive of course it will bring all the crud with it. Cloning a drive that's already infected and screwed up is like locking your door after all your goods were stolen.

I have a clone image of my system with XP+SP2 and the available patches to that day along with the bare minimum applications installed. If I reformat it takes me 30 minutes tops to get back to that base image.

At work we have 104 varities of hardware, OS and patch levels we have to test our software on. We use Ghost images to build machines rapidly to exact specifications and it works like a charm...

mortoma
02-10-2005, 02:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HotelBushranger:
Nah, don't trust ghost's and clones.

I tried ghosting my boot drive, it brought with it all the crud that made me re-format in the first place.

I tried cloning my boot drive, it brought with it all the crud that made me-reformat in the first place, AND it was un-removable until I re-did my computer AGAIN

In the last attempt, did nothing, I'm fine, all I've got is some anti stuff. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well you have had bad luck as you apparently misunderstand how to ghost/clone. They are the same thing by the way. For one thing, do a clone right after installing Windows, best to do it a couple or so days after a new install so you've had time to put on all the latest drivers and updates. Also it would be well before the Windows drive has had time to accumulate trojans, viruses, malware and the like. This is the way to do it, I've never had a problem doing it that way. Never clone an old dirve that has Windows on it for more than a month and for sure not years. This, like you said, will only perpetuate problens as you'll clone viruses and other stuff along with the good stuff!!!