PDA

View Full Version : MSFF Sidewinder 2 is Outstanding!

codeseven7
01-27-2006, 12:16 PM
After my Logitech Strike Force 3D stick died I replaced it with a CH Products Fighterstick, an excellent and solid joystick. But after a few months I realized, for myself, force feedback is a must for realism. I scoured flight sim sites for answers to who makes the best FF stick nowadays and soon realised the most often recommended FF stick is no longer made, the MSFF Sidewinder 2.

Well I took my chances on e-bay and scored on a mint, 'used once', MSFF Sidewinder 2 and I gotta tell ya, this stick ROCKS! I am stunned at the overall quality of this stick. Seriously, this is, by far, the best stick I have ever seen! Solid, ROCK SOLID! Heavy base, very nicely built. Best ergonomic grip I have ever felt, this model has an excellent feeling soft rubberized coating. Cool lighting. Best of all, it has OUTSTANDING force feedback effects, far beyond the feel of any other 'modern' FF stick I have ever used. I couldn't (as you can tell) be more impressed.

All the positive stuff I've read about these sticks is absolutely true and there are folks out there that are still using the same MSFF stick they bought many years ago. Many of these same owners will tell you they have spent the money on a second MSFF stick to store away just in case their first stick should ever fail.

Other manufacturers could learn alot by checking out this stick, it definitely sets the standard in FF sticks. Why MS stopped making these I have no idea, but I guarantee, if they started making them again they would be best sellers. If you prefer force feedback sticks and want the best one ever made (in my and many others opinion), the MSFF Sidewider 2 is it! Check out e-bay, there are usually several for sale. I recommend the 'red box' version. It was the last (and arguably the best in the series) FF stick MS made before stopping production. This model has the rubber grip and lighted red base and buttons on top (beware, the picture the seller shows may not be the stick your bidding on!). These much sought after sticks are going for as much as $300 in new condition. I was lucky enough to get mine, from a cool seller, in the mint condition it's in for $100, well worth the money!

codeseven

codeseven7
01-27-2006, 12:16 PM
After my Logitech Strike Force 3D stick died I replaced it with a CH Products Fighterstick, an excellent and solid joystick. But after a few months I realized, for myself, force feedback is a must for realism. I scoured flight sim sites for answers to who makes the best FF stick nowadays and soon realised the most often recommended FF stick is no longer made, the MSFF Sidewinder 2.

Well I took my chances on e-bay and scored on a mint, 'used once', MSFF Sidewinder 2 and I gotta tell ya, this stick ROCKS! I am stunned at the overall quality of this stick. Seriously, this is, by far, the best stick I have ever seen! Solid, ROCK SOLID! Heavy base, very nicely built. Best ergonomic grip I have ever felt, this model has an excellent feeling soft rubberized coating. Cool lighting. Best of all, it has OUTSTANDING force feedback effects, far beyond the feel of any other 'modern' FF stick I have ever used. I couldn't (as you can tell) be more impressed.

All the positive stuff I've read about these sticks is absolutely true and there are folks out there that are still using the same MSFF stick they bought many years ago. Many of these same owners will tell you they have spent the money on a second MSFF stick to store away just in case their first stick should ever fail.

Other manufacturers could learn alot by checking out this stick, it definitely sets the standard in FF sticks. Why MS stopped making these I have no idea, but I guarantee, if they started making them again they would be best sellers. If you prefer force feedback sticks and want the best one ever made (in my and many others opinion), the MSFF Sidewider 2 is it! Check out e-bay, there are usually several for sale. I recommend the 'red box' version. It was the last (and arguably the best in the series) FF stick MS made before stopping production. This model has the rubber grip and lighted red base and buttons on top (beware, the picture the seller shows may not be the stick your bidding on!). These much sought after sticks are going for as much as $300 in new condition. I was lucky enough to get mine, from a cool seller, in the mint condition it's in for $100, well worth the money!

codeseven

ATLAS_DEATH
01-27-2006, 12:49 PM
I still have my FF2 ... and an X45, and X52 .... the MS stick is good when you want some FF.. but if fly jets it's not realistic as most are fly by wire.. so you aren't going to have your hand jerked about... also the FF sticks aren't the best for helicopter sims as the center is very 'loose' feeling... the best thing I liked about the FF2 was the laser detectors that turned it off and on.. if I didn't cover them up I could put the stick in any position I wanted and it wouldn't return to center. So for like.. those times I don't want to use auto pilot in whatever game, I could just bump the stick around... or for those planes without trim or AP for that matter...

But really... I like the HOTAS set up better for what it allows me to do. I have many commands at my finger tips.. a stick that centers better... and a big throttle... and a blue MFD http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif... But if I were playing a game that didn't have many commands.. I may opt for the FF2 because it would add that little effect that's missing with some aircraft.

codeseven7
01-27-2006, 01:08 PM
In addition to 'any' joystick, I think a seperate throttle, pedals and especially TrackIR are must haves for immersion. And I agree, the FF sticks are best for prop driven planes that have flight control sticks, not modern fly by wire jets with wrist action joysticks.

Gold_Monkey
01-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Seven, I've had my MSFF2 now for at least 4 maybe 5 years and it's still going strong. I love it so much that I also scored one on Ebay for a backup just incase.

codeseven7
01-27-2006, 02:35 PM
GM, I'm impressed with this stick enough to probably follow suit and do the same. I'd be bummed if awhile from now all you could find are a few beat-up ones.

crazyivan1970
01-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Find used X45 on e-bay, use the throttle part and you`ll love it forever.

Have 2 FFB2`s and not that long ago got third one for a good price. Didnt arrive yet http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

codeseven7
01-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Agreed Ivan, love those rotaries for trim control!