PDA

View Full Version : p38late 4.02M?

fordfan25
10-30-2005, 07:53 PM
it very well could just be me but dose any one else think the p-38lLate has been reduced? both climb ecelaration and top speed seem slugish to me. i can deffenitly tell it now has more tendency to snap stall or flip over when in a tight turn. just woundering if its me or not http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

fordfan25
10-30-2005, 07:53 PM
it very well could just be me but dose any one else think the p-38lLate has been reduced? both climb ecelaration and top speed seem slugish to me. i can deffenitly tell it now has more tendency to snap stall or flip over when in a tight turn. just woundering if its me or not http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jettexas
10-31-2005, 12:20 AM
Fly it a lot,(online)
IMHO- seems "smoothed" rather than dumbed down,never thought it was a UFO as some said,
now seems more in line with other planes of similar vintage- Like all 402 planes trim is more of a factor than before, more fiddling required with throttle changes, but still less adjustment than any post 402 singles-
still get best overall perfomance with LESS prop pitch (90)and a very slight + pitch trim, moves out at altitude (remember IAS -vs- VMG compensated for altitude) maybe better in the vertical, maybe placebo effect, torque is non existant- unlike 4.01, still needs a tick or two of aileron to level..
also maybe sway and gunshake slightly reduced seems more stable(?-placebo).
Great bird but with a very narrow effective operational window when used as a pure fighter.

As before-fly it high,13-20k/ft set a hard deck at 8-10k, diving attacks 350mph or better, spot a furball from alt, lurk, watch tracers and look for the B+Z'rs at apogee as they climb out after their attack..or other lone wolves of bad intent.. one pass,(MAYBE two at most)with +E- keep going,never chase to the deck, no excessive banks and you can disengage at will almost any axis.

If your caught out alone,low Co-alt/co-E your in trouble. Dive-Gently at first, reduce pitch slightly ,gradually increase dive angle- at compression( 410/420) trim out, or use brakes to repeatedly snap you out...With speed you're better in the vertical,but only as a last resort-the smart money is a high speed escape/extend/climb...if they run you down anyway.. despite outrageous size your better at VERY low speed...with flaps...stable down to 80.. incredible rudders. Owns in desperate spiral climbs.and stall fights...but you've really got to milk the rudders and ride the edge or he'll get angle low 6-and its over, in most cases you can eventually gain 6 but maybe at longer than effective ranges and at great cost in speed.

Note: this last bit only applies if you've already blown it..fact is you shouldnt be here anyway...in a 38 and by then its crapshoot..the guy that doesn't make a mistake wins..same as any two planes engaged in a stall fest..and anyway a two person stall fight only lasts til someone faster comes along and tips the balance.

Better to stay high, fast ,think offensively and plan your egress in this bird.
Finally try to be above the inevitable 152s that hover and think theyre above everything,they take great umbrage at your presence.

Linger and die.
Turn down low and die.
Drop below 300mph and die.
Great loadouts, great ground attack.
Climbs like a monkey on biker speed.
Freaky cool look and an extra engine.
But..........
Like most North American aircraft..A technically difficult plane.
Poor choice if you're a budding stat daddy.

Worse than 4.01?.Nerfed?..mmmm no not to me at least..Pretty much the same in my limited observation. Maybe "tamed" or "brought in line" is a better description..
Maybe more inline with the rest of the game's planeset now.
not generally "feared" but repected if flown well, an easy kill otherwise.

Disclaimer- Due to the shortage of robots-The preceding statements are provided by a human and are therefore subjective and represent only opinion based on a limited sample set.
Said statements constitute personal observations only and do not claim to speak for you.

BSS_CUDA
10-31-2005, 07:35 AM
I think it's a good as ever, it seems a little quicker in all areas, but I've heard the same from everyone on all planes so maybe thats a FM in general thing. I will tell you that above 23,000ft its a rocket ship, totally out runs and out turns the 47 at that alt, I got into it with a TA the other day back and forth for a good 20 minutes clear up to 38,000 ft stable as a rock and fast as hell. I think she's as good as ever. still comparing here to the LW planes tho, she does seem faster than the 190's

darkhorizon11
10-31-2005, 10:35 AM
Ask Kurfurst, Hristos, Hoarmuth, and Faustnik about this aircraft, they'll tell you everything you want to know about it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

ElAurens
10-31-2005, 10:46 AM
Oh god, don't start that again!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif