PDA

View Full Version : There've been some changes made...

flyinmick
05-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Hi, guys.
I haven't played IL2 in a couple of years. I used to be pretty well adicted to it so when I bought a new house and moved I went cold turkey.
When I last played, we had 4.08. I used to fly full real on Hyperlobby. At that time, from what I can remember, this was how the game was:
a) No moving carriers. Take-offs were a bit tricky as were landings. But your carrier was always right where you left it!!
b) The weather never changed nor did time of day.
c) The types of aircraft that came with the game was what you got. No imports!!
d) No imported skins. You were stuck with the origionals, some of which were kinda crappy.
e) Crappy engine sounds. You could hear ground based artillery from your aircraft. You could hear the guy sneaking up on your six. Wierd stuff like that
f) The maps were the ones that came with the game and people adapted them to suit certain scenarios. Again, no imports.

I realise that some, if not all, of these things have been fixed. I've tried reading through the forums and have become completely confused. In what ways has the game changed over the years I've been away?
Would the computer I had then cope as well with all these mods or do I need an upgrade?
Thanks

flyinmick
05-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Hi, guys.
I haven't played IL2 in a couple of years. I used to be pretty well adicted to it so when I bought a new house and moved I went cold turkey.
When I last played, we had 4.08. I used to fly full real on Hyperlobby. At that time, from what I can remember, this was how the game was:
a) No moving carriers. Take-offs were a bit tricky as were landings. But your carrier was always right where you left it!!
b) The weather never changed nor did time of day.
c) The types of aircraft that came with the game was what you got. No imports!!
d) No imported skins. You were stuck with the origionals, some of which were kinda crappy.
e) Crappy engine sounds. You could hear ground based artillery from your aircraft. You could hear the guy sneaking up on your six. Wierd stuff like that
f) The maps were the ones that came with the game and people adapted them to suit certain scenarios. Again, no imports.

I realise that some, if not all, of these things have been fixed. I've tried reading through the forums and have become completely confused. In what ways has the game changed over the years I've been away?
Would the computer I had then cope as well with all these mods or do I need an upgrade?
Thanks

M_Gunz
05-24-2010, 10:44 PM
No moving carriers in online DF. Moving carriers elsewhere. Check/remember the PF carrier landing training mission.

Nobody made custom skins before when?

Time of day didn't change? You could make it so on a server but you could make a day last 1 hour as well.

flyinmick
05-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Hi, Gunz.
Dunno what online "DF" is. I was never unable to take off or land on the carrier, it was just a bit tricky and load-out had to be tailored to meet the zero wind-over-the-deck. Where is elsewhere, please, for the moving carriers?
Of course there were custom skins. You just couldn't use them online. Can you use 'em now?
As far as I remember, for online play, which was all that ever interested me, time was fixed. It was an eternal 2pm or whatever.
So, what else has changed?
Plus, I'm seeing videos on Youtube with realistic and believable engine sounds. Are they imported into the game or where do they come from.
Do they still have those idiotic artillery sounds that you can "hear" from 2 miles up over the roar of your engine?

WTE_Galway
05-24-2010, 11:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flyinmick:

Of course there were custom skins. You just couldn't use them online. Can you use 'em now?
As far as I remember, for online play, which was all that ever interested me, time was fixed. It was an eternal 2pm or whatever.
So, what else has changed?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You always could use custom skins online for your own aircraft you probably just need to turn skin downloads on in your settings to allow you to see other peoples skins.

You are not allowed to put custom skins on OTHER players aircraft online else ppl would make everyone else bright pink to be easy to spot.

Pretty sure changing time is a server option and it has always been possible to have the time changing in online servers. Its just most people that setup servers do not choose to set it that way.

M_Gunz
05-25-2010, 03:03 AM
DF is online DOG FIGHT server. Online there's DF and there's Co-ops.

The first carrier action I had in IL2 was the carrier landing training mission with moving carrier.
Full mission and Co-ops both allow moving carriers, all you need is carrier and AI allowed.
DF does not allow AI. We've had moving carriers in non-DF since Pacific Fighters was released.

Art-J
05-25-2010, 10:57 AM
The question of better sounds is a bit uncomfortable, because these are a result of recent modding of the game and we're not allowed to discuss the mods on this board. Google "hsfx 4.1" or "All Aircraft Arcade" for more hints.

As far as hardware requirements are concerned, your old PC will probably be a bit short on power if you decide to play with mods with many "gadgets" turned on. All the "eyecandy" or uhm... "earcandy" requires more computer resources than stock game.

2,5 years ago, when I was buying my fancy two-core CPU and 512MB card, I thought I would finally be able to run the damn thing with all details maxed out. Unbelievable how stupid I was http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif! Today, with new maps, photorealistic ground texture updates, new clouds and great engine sounds I can forget about flying missions with more then a few airplanes in the sky! On the other hand, once you taste all these goodies, it's so hard to get back!

Cheers - Art

Urufu_Shinjiro
05-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Mods discussion is allowed, it's just limited, see here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/3971030057#XIV). Google for HSFX or UltraPack, these are the two main mod packs. All info can be found on their respective sites.

Tully__
05-26-2010, 04:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flyinmick:
...As far as I remember, for online play, which was all that ever interested me, time was fixed. It was an eternal 2pm or whatever....

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty sure changing time is a server option and it has always been possible to have the time changing in online servers. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Changing time at real time is the default server setup and as far as I know there's no native way to make otherwise. There is a "change time of day" server command and most dogfight servers that don't have rotating missions run a script that runs that command in console every few minutes to keep the serve at a fixed time. They do this so they can leave the server running 24 hours per day without people being forced to fly day fighters at night.

JtD
05-26-2010, 06:47 AM
It's an option you set when making the map in the full mission builder. Check the map properties menue, right where you set time of day and weather. Static time, normal time, just as you like it.

You can have the beautiful sunrise forever. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

wheelsup_cavu
05-26-2010, 08:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JtD:
It's an option you set when making the map in the full mission builder. Check the map properties menue, right where you set time of day and weather. Static time, normal time, just as you like it.

You can have the beautiful sunrise forever. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks JtD, I never understood what use their was for the static time feature. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Wheels