PDA

View Full Version : What gives NEW.exe the edge?

Papa_K
11-20-2004, 04:04 AM
OK,

The initial game load time is down to 3-4 seconds, and the FPS are up (for me, average Blackdeath FPS went from 43 to 49 with basic settings).

WHY/HOW? What was changed in that (test) add-on to the main patch that gives these results? Anyone have any insight on this?

Papa_K

NorrisMcWhirter
11-20-2004, 04:50 AM
Hi,

Maybe someone forgot to set the compiler optimisation on for v3.0 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I, also, have a big increase in FPS now...in fact, it runs better than FB/AEP ever did now. It's a good patch for that alone, make no mistake.

Cheers,
Norris

Tully__
11-20-2004, 05:12 AM
The announcement on the main page suggests that a different method of handling the software encryption is employed. Perhaps it's doing de-cryption "on the fly" (if you'll pardon the pun) instead of un-encrypting everything before loading the software....this would certainly make it harder for hackers to get access to the code, which is one of the stated aims of this new .exe

DuxCorvan
11-20-2004, 06:42 AM
Anyway, it works pretty fine... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

NerdConnected
11-20-2004, 08:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Papa_K:
OK,

The initial game load time is down to 3-4 seconds, and the FPS are up (for me, average Blackdeath FPS went from 43 to 49 with basic settings).

WHY/HOW? What was changed in that (test) add-on to the main patch that gives these results? Anyone have any insight on this?

Papa_K <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My qyess: 50% copy protection and 50% grahpic/speed improvements.

I think Maddox incorporates new functionality and optimizations in the new .exe only to rule out all people that play the game with a hacked rts.dll.

It's just a matter of time before other game developers/publishers realize the distribution method used for half-life 2 is'nt that bad.....

Mark

Charlie901
11-20-2004, 11:40 AM
I only gained 1 FPS in the Kamakazie Ntrak. But the flack sound cuts in/out horribly with the new_exe, sounds like my surround speakers have blown on my Audigy 2. Hmmmmmmm?

KarmaT0Burn
11-20-2004, 12:51 PM
Something is awry with the new exe, indeed. Comparing it with my benchmark logs before I see a very small increase in average framerate on Kamakazi, but there are instances in the track where the framerate bogs down severely -something it never did with the old exe. If it wasnt doing this the avg frame rate would be much higher.

Slingn
11-20-2004, 12:59 PM
i've noticed a few glitches. Sometimes i get odd graphics on the map. Like different colored grid blocks, and oversized enemy line markers. I have also seen models that looked odd. like they were missing the detail surface layers of their textures, but it would be fine if I restarted the mission. Overall though, it seems to give a few more fps and it sure starts mas rapido. Looks like their worrking on a good thing. Improving on what already is pretty darn nice. You certianly cant say you see that everyday from a game developer. Cheers to them.