PDA

View Full Version : New to game, questions.

montecristo1981
08-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi, Ive had IL2, Pacific Fihters and forgooten battles for years, but only recently got 1946 and started to get into a campaign. Ive a few questions.

Ive been playing as the RAF in Singapore,(or somewhere nearby) I keep getting sent on long long bombing missions in my hurricane, and myself and each of the flights on the trip run out of fuel and crash, hundreds of miles from base and sometimes in enemy territory. What gives?? Is this a bug?

I dont seem to have alot of attention paid to me by enemy planes, the only time i seem to encounter them is at the mission target,likes its some kind of organised brawl. Do you ever meet enemy planes enroute?

I saw in the tracks a stuka mission at night with searchlights,it looked amazing. Do you often get night missions?

Whats the most varied campaign to do?IE: most kinds of missions.

RedToo
08-21-2008, 02:09 PM
I think that is a known bug in that campaign. Have you been here:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&c=2

Mission4Today hosts loads of brilliant user made campaigns for IL2. If I can mention a particular favourite - Luftwaffe Pilot Afrika:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2471

I'm afraid you fly a 109 in this one, but you will meet Hurricanes ...

Hope this helps,

RedToo.

WTE_Galway
08-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by montecristo1981:
Hi, Ive had IL2, Pacific Fihters and forgooten battles for years, but only recently got 1946 and started to get into a campaign. Ive a few questions.

Ive been playing as the RAF in Singapore,(or somewhere nearby) I keep getting sent on long long bombing missions in my hurricane, and myself and each of the flights on the trip run out of fuel and crash, hundreds of miles from base and sometimes in enemy territory. What gives?? Is this a bug?

I dont seem to have alot of attention paid to me by enemy planes, the only time i seem to encounter them is at the mission target,likes its some kind of organised brawl. Do you ever meet enemy planes enroute?

I saw in the tracks a stuka mission at night with searchlights,it looked amazing. Do you often get night missions?

Cannot say I have actually had that problem. Though the Singapore and New Guinea maps in the RAF/RAAF campaigns do involve some long missions I have never actually ran out of fuel, and most of my missions seem to be airfield defence against Bettys.

It is actually possible to change the configuration of the DGEN (by editing a text file) to generate shorter missions and get more random enemy flights (by default you mainly get enemy AI related to your specific mission) if you really want to. Just be aware that too much AI flying around has a severe effect on FPS.

One of the most varied built in (DGEN) campaigns is the 109 JABO for army group centre. You will get a fair mix of things to do right from the start.

There are also, as stated above, a huge number of static campaigns to download and an alternate campaign generator by Lowengrin called DCG.

Xiolablu3
08-21-2008, 05:50 PM
You can add a line to your conf.ini file and make the missions as short as you like (its no real fun to fly 1 hour to the target each time)

OPen up the conf.ini file in your il2 folder with notepad, and add these two lines somewhere near the top...

[DGEN]
missiondistance=x

change x to the number of miles you want to fly on average to the target area. I used 45 and it worked well, after take off and gaining height I was usually in the action. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

For example the top of my conf.ini is

[il2]
title=Il2-Sturmovik Forgotten Battles
hotkeys=HotKey game

[DGEN]

missiondistance=45

[window]
width=1024
height=768
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=1
Use3Renders=0

[GLPROVIDER]
GL=Opengl32.dll

[GLPROVIDERS]
Open GL=Opengl32.dll
DirectX=dx8wrap.dll

[NET]
speed=8000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=31
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=1
serverName=No Name
serverDescription=
remoteHost=
localHost=81.174.245.43
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=0
....and so on....

montecristo1981
08-24-2008, 04:51 AM
Thanks,Ill give the desert campaign a look.

mortoma
08-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
You can add a line to your conf.ini file and make the missions as short as you like (its no real fun to fly 1 hour to the target each time)

OPen up the conf.ini file in your il2 folder with notepad, and add these two lines somewhere near the top...

[DGEN]
missiondistance=x

change x to the number of miles you want to fly on average to the target area. I used 45 and it worked well, after take off and gaining height I was usually in the action. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[il2]
hotkeys=HotKey game

[DGEN]

missiondistance=45

[window]
width=1024
height=768
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=1
Use3Renders=0

[GLPROVIDER]
GL=Opengl32.dll

[GLPROVIDERS]
Open GL=Opengl32.dll
DirectX=dx8wrap.dll

[NET]
speed=8000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=31
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=1
serverName=No Name
serverDescription=
remoteHost=
localHost=81.174.245.43
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=0
....and so on.... Sorry you posted such a long post for something that does not work. Unfortunately, the "missiondistance" parameter has no affect on the Singapore campaign or any other Pacific campaign! I have had mine set to 25 kilometers for years and I get the long flights in Hurricanes on the Singapore map and we always run out of fuel. Vadim "Starshoy" Kolosov is the one who wrote the Dgen engine and he has stated several times that the mission distance parameter is not guaranteed to work in a lot of instances. It can work only if there are possible targets within your specified distance. In my case, if there are no possible tragets within 25 kilometers to be found, then that parameter setting can't function!!

M_Gunz
08-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by montecristo1981:

Just on the off chance, what are your cruise settings for prop speed?

mortoma
08-24-2008, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:

Just on the off chance, what are your cruise settings for prop speed? I know what you're thinking. If he manages his plane better on the trip it might make it on the fuel he has. Only problem, the AI in his flight still won't make it. You can't help them and in Dgen campaign, your AI buddies surviving is absolutely instrumental to the success of your campaign.

And even if you do stretch your flying by smart flying, if you get into a lengthy air battle that takes longer than normal ( which happens a lot ) then you still might not be able to make it back to base. Engagements that last very long take a lot of fuel of course.

Bottom line, these mission are still way to long for the Hurricane, period. In real life they never would have flown Hurris that far.

montecristo1981
08-24-2008, 11:10 AM
im just letting autpoilot take me,still havent tried using prop settings or changing mixtures.

Stingray333
08-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Can you take external drop tanks? If your plane accommodates them take them on

M_Gunz
08-24-2008, 11:53 AM
You could just say "bag dgen" and run dcg instead.

lowengrin's dcg (http://lowengrin.com/news.php)

dirkpit7
08-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

[DGEN]
missiondistance=x

[il2]
hotkeys=HotKey game

[DGEN]

missiondistance=45

[window]
width=1024
height=768
ColourBits=32
DepthBits=24
StencilBits=8
ChangeScreenRes=1
FullScreen=1
DrawIfNotFocused=0
EnableResize=0
EnableClose=1
SaveAspect=1
Use3Renders=0

[GLPROVIDER]
GL=Opengl32.dll

[GLPROVIDERS]
Open GL=Opengl32.dll
DirectX=dx8wrap.dll

[NET]
speed=8000
routeChannels=0
serverChannels=31
localPort=21000
remotePort=21000
SkinDownload=1
serverName=No Name
serverDescription=
remoteHost=
localHost=81.174.245.43
socksHost=
checkServerTimeSpeed=1
checkClientTimeSpeed=0
....and so on....

This probably sounds complicated for a new player. Easier way to change these settings is IL-2 Shturmovik Stab (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2169) which offers an easily understandable GUI and adds the needed lines to the conf.ini-file for you. Extremely helpful program.

mortoma
08-25-2008, 02:05 PM
This probably sounds complicated for a new player. Easier way to change these settings is IL-2 Shturmovik Stab (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2169) which offers an easily understandable GUI and adds the needed lines to the conf.ini-file for you. Extremely helpful program. Don't matter, as I said before the missiondistance parameter will not help the Singapore campaign at all. A waste of time.

mortoma
08-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
You could just say "bag dgen" and run dcg instead.

lowengrin's dcg (http://lowengrin.com/news.php) I hardly think that one problem campaign justifies switching to DCG! The Singapore campaign is the only one so afflicted. The rest are fine!!

dirkpit7
08-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This probably sounds complicated for a new player. Easier way to change these settings is IL-2 Shturmovik Stab (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2169) which offers an easily understandable GUI and adds the needed lines to the conf.ini-file for you. Extremely helpful program. Don't matter, as I said before the missiondistance parameter will not help the Singapore campaign at all. A waste of time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not Singapore but for other DGen campaigns it does help. And it can be used for a lot more than just changing DGen settings.

Xiolablu3
08-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This probably sounds complicated for a new player. Easier way to change these settings is IL-2 Shturmovik Stab (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2169) which offers an easily understandable GUI and adds the needed lines to the conf.ini-file for you. Extremely helpful program. Don't matter, as I said before the missiondistance parameter will not help the Singapore campaign at all. A waste of time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its not a waste of time, he will be able to use it for other campaigns.