PDA

View Full Version : Oleg, I salute you!

Ace_Hyflyer
06-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Hello Oleg,

I would just like to post here to express my gratitude for everything you have done with these sims.

I only have the original IL-2 and I absolutely love it. The graphics are incredible and the gameplay is very engaging and immersive. I also program in Java, and I know how much work this project must have taken. I salute you and your team and everything you have done for us.

S!, Chris

hotspace
06-04-2005, 06:28 PM
You should get the FB/AEP/PF Pack. Plus with the forthcoming Patch you'll have better graphics then ever http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hot Space

Ace_Hyflyer
06-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Well, I would if I could, but unfortunately I don't think I can. My 3.2 Ghz laptop with a 64MB ATI Radeon 9000 is already choking on the original IL-2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I'm thinking about getting everything anyway, and seeing if I can get some point of playability.

Anyway,
See ya around,
Chris

WWMaxGunz
06-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Ace_Hyflyer:
Well, I would if I could, but unfortunately I don't think I can. My 3.2 Ghz laptop with a 64MB ATI Radeon 9000 is already choking on the original IL-2 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I'm thinking about getting everything anyway, and seeing if I can get some point of playability.

Anyway,
See ya around,
Chris

Perhaps the big problem is system RAM although 64MB of the videocard is not terribly bad.
And laptop processors don't usually deserve full ratings, they cut speed when the thing
heats up, I have read... it is also to conserve power but built in, they are special
versions of the CPU's.

You might get by running what is now out but at reduced graphics levels unless you are
already running low, it depends entirely on system memory. 512 MB is minimal now, 256
to 512 more really picks things up and more than 1 G is desireable.

But hey, IL2 patched to 1.2 is still very good, compared to the competition it is better!

WUAF_Co_Hero
06-06-2005, 02:37 AM
I wouldn't reccomend flying this game seriously sim seriously with anything less than 1gb, frankly.

Ace_Hyflyer
06-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Well, at the moment, I have 768 MB RAM, I plan to be ordering another GIG today to go up to 1,256 or possibly 1.5 Gig (depend on if I can wheedle my dad out of getting my 512 Meg card). At the moment I'm running IL-2 on Medium Graphics settings with most of the nice stuff in IL-2 Setup turned off and no AA or AF and it still slows down to like 16 FPS when an engine is starting up. It could have something to do with the fact that my HD is almost full.

See ya around,
Chris

P.S. Just ran defrag so I'll have to check FPS and what I can improve.

WWMaxGunz
06-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Ya know, for the premium price of upgrading that notebook (which isn't well suited
to being a gaming machine BTW) you could afford a pretty powerful desktop that will
be easier and cheaper to keep building on and upgrading. Hey, notebooks are pricey
and tight and they run hot which is a recipie for shorter lifespan.

SeaFireLIV
06-06-2005, 01:49 PM
Yep, this reminds me of my arguments with the X-wife over the value of getting a desktop PC over a laptop cash-wise. Of course she wouldn`t listen and paid thru-the-nose for a laptop`s that`s now useless and no good to upgrade.

Of course, she don`t play games, but boy could she have saved herself some money. But that`s the way it goes.

If that laptop was a desktop, Ace_Hyflyer , you`d have IL2 running sweet on it by now.

Ace_Hyflyer
06-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Yes, unfortunately a desktop is not really a viable option for me as I spend a great deal of my live travelling. Really a desktop would only enable me to play for maybe three months out of the year. Anyway, I found some guides for graphics card settings on Airwarfare.com and I'm going to try them and see what happens to FPS.

See ya around,
Chris

P.S. when I said the it can slow down to 16, I forgot to mention that the average is generaly somewhere from 32 to 40 and max is sometimes up to about 60-70. Maybe I do have a chance with PF.