PDA

View Full Version : If FC3 Has An Online Pass Use it My Way! - Mods look

DapperHayden007
07-14-2011, 12:27 PM
Just letting you all know, Ubisoft have brought in the online pass system where if you buy a game pre-owned then you will have to pay the extra fee to play online.

Here are my reasons why they should not do this!

1) Ubisoft's servers are not good enough

2) They were the best company, mainly because the games had no passes.

3) This increases Piracy! You know there are code generators people would use after copying the game Illegally so it will decrease your total sales!

If it has the pass then it should be where the pass grants you with the ability to publish created maps, Play Created Maps Online and download maps. Without the pass you should be able to play the Ubisoft's maps Online and Singleplayer, Nothing else.

C'mon Ubisoft don't put this ridiculous thing on Far Cry! (or if you do use my idea!)

Gump_the_Great
07-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Why would adding an online pass increase piracy? people who pirate games will pirate games no matter the sercumstance.

Plus i completely support the online pass system. you do know that developers don't get any money from a pre-owned sale right? that's why they do this. To a developer, pre-owned sales ARE piracy.

DapperHayden007
07-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Well The developers already had there money's worth from the game in the first place. There wouldn't be so many pre-owned games if the games were better to play. It's just the company's being greedy. It would increase Piracy because people do not want to keep buying games brand new so it will lead them to downloading the games and using a code generator. Not everyone can afford new games by the way. Lets see, In 3 Years time, You get fired from your job and can only afford Pre-Owned Games. WILL YOU SUPPORT IT THEN?

Its like car dealerships. Are the Car Manufacturers entitled to a percentage of the money of a second hand car?

(Mods this is a debate not an argument)

Mr Cataluchi
07-14-2011, 04:41 PM
I don't really have an invested interest in this, but I found this conversation interesting. I'm not an expert on Online Passes, but I can foresee a possible negative side effect to them.

From my understanding, a lot of people who owned Far Cry 2 said they traded the game in. (I'm not certain of the percentage of people who did this, but let's just say it's 25%.) If people who buy the game used need a code to play on-line, this could discourage them from even purchasing the game. Sure, they could buy a new copy from the company, but there are a lot of people who buy games on the cheep -- garage sales, online, from friends. If these guys don't want to buy the game, or are just happy playing the story mode, this dwindles the amount of players in Multiplayer. Over time, lobbies might become ghost towns.

Again, I'm no expert on this. Just thought I'd throw it out there...

Martythemerc
07-14-2011, 05:25 PM
I only play single player - by myself, BUT I think it would be fair for every legal disk to have an imbedded pass code, so when, as Mr. C says, with second-hand discounting of old (legal) games it will work, thus allowing more people to join in on UBI's online presence, thus generating more loyal customers for future ventures.

Gump_the_Great
07-14-2011, 07:25 PM
"Not everyone can afford new games by the way. Lets see, In 3 Years time, You get fired from your job and can only afford Pre-Owned Games. WILL YOU SUPPORT IT THEN?"

I dont know if this is just a Canada thing, but i never noticed much of a cost difference more than 5 dollars between a new and used game. I would honestly rather pirate a game than buy pre-owned games. cause then my money stays in my pocket, instead of it all going to the retailer.

Its also not about greed, the used sales are really starting to hurt the gaming developers, so this is the way they are fighting back. if you don't want to pay full price, be prepared to pay a little extra(lol paradox).

DapperHayden007
07-15-2011, 12:57 AM
It does not hurt the gaming companies much! look at EA, THQ and Activision. There money only ever goes in 1 Direction and that's vertically upwards. Don't Forget the fact that it only cost's about $2 - 50pence to make a copy of the game. They sell the game for $60 - 40 brand new. They pay a few million to invest in the game and if 1million people bought the game then they would have already made 3x the original value of the game.

About 85% of games sold are new.
so a game sells 1 million copies they would have sold 850,000 new copies to 150,000 old. they still earn a lot more than what they should originally. Think Of It As a way of TAX. There charging you to play there game online! "It Gets worse with EA as they shut down servers after about 2 years"

Think Of It That Way!

zeeEVIL1
07-15-2011, 11:53 AM
I support ubi's decision.
When I go to gamestop a week or two after a game released, and see 5 copies for $50 dollars, shelved right next to new copies for $60 dollars, what am i supposed to do?
I think the best way for companies to fight this crap is to boycott Gamestop and other corporate stores like that. All they have to do is simply stop selling their games to them.
IMO, these stores should not be able to sell a used version of any game until 180 days after release. That way, the store who is licensed to sell NEW games, will not put themselves in direct competition with the companies they are supposed to support.

Game companies do not need gamestop. Not when there are a bazillion Wal-Marts and Best Buys and similar outlets like that around that do not do trade ins.
Now I myself generally buy games used. But only games that I have no interest in playing online. I usually buy them a year after release though. Like BIOSHOCK 2 which I just paid $8 for. CRYSIS 2 and HOMEFRONT and HALO Reach all were purchased brand new.

Fallen-Champ
07-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Its very simple - Make a game that people do not want to trade.

I still have RDR because it is that good, if Far Cry 3 has a good single player that the player can go back to after completing and the multiplayer is fun and addictive, then all they have to do is to keep supplying quality DLC at a good price and most folk will keep onto it.

I still have FCIP which in my opinion is the best game I have ever purchased for what I paid and the time I have spent on it.

As for an online pass, these companies make nothing from used games so it makes sense really - Although I do often buy used games myself.

Here is a link to info on Ubisofts UPLAY Passport

http://www.thatvideogameblog.c...nces-uplay-passport/ (http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2011/07/15/ubisoft-formally-announces-uplay-passport/)