PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for online



brewens
03-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Hello everyone,

I've been flying with CEM. Not as difficult as I thought it would be but I'm sure I'm a long way from mastering it.
I have a few questions about what to do when I get into hyperlobby.
I need both my Track IR and teamspeak started first don't I? I have a headset and teamspeak but have not used it yet. I noticed teamspeak IP addresses listed in some of the missions. I see where I can enter a server address, nickname and password in Quick Connect on teamspeak. Is that what I do before entering a mission?
Once in a mission the game starts up when the host starts the mission?
Anything else you guys can think of that I need to know would be appreciated.

Thanks Scott

Hoenire
03-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Mostly correct. If you are joining a dogfight server the game will already be underway. Three things are important:

1. Fly with someone, pick anyone, regardless of what they are in, even if you aren't on comms together.
2. Keep your eyeballs and head moving. Spend more time checking behind you than in front of you. If you shoot someone down, immediately break and check behind you - don't ever watch your enemy crash.
3. Try and get on comms if you can - there will be lots who will help you. Check the squadron pages as if you join a squad you'll find people who are willing to take the time to help you.

Ok, 4 things. The fourth thing is Sailor Malan's rules for air combat:

1. Wait until you see the whites of his eyes. Fire short bursts of one to two seconds only when your sights are definitely "ON".
2. Whilst shooting think of nothing else, brace the whole of your body: have both hands on the stick: concentrate on your ring sight.
3. Always keep a sharp lookout. "Keep your finger out".
4. Height gives you the initiative.
5. Always turn and face the attack.
6. Make your decisions promptly. It is better to act quickly even though your tactics are not the best.
7. Never fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds in the combat area.
8. When diving to attack always leave a proportion of your formation above to act as a top guard.
9. INITIATIVE, AGGRESSION, AIR DISCIPLINE, and TEAM WORK are words that MEAN something in Air Fighting.
10. Go in quickly - Punch hard - Get out!


If you fly in a full real server such as Warclouds, 3, 4 and 7 are the most important when you're new to online fights. I never fly straight and level for more than 3 or 4 seconds if I can help it!

When you start, try and stay alive rather than trying to get kills down low.

brewens
03-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks Hoenire,

I did manage to get on a server but spits vs 109's probably wasn't a good choice. I chewed up a Ju-88 before I got hit and went in the drink.
Then I screwed up and wrecked taxiing. I think I just went off the taxi strip and turned to sharp and lost it. Then I got kicked. Not sure why that was. Do they boot you for bonehead driving or was it because I had already been shot down?
I got my teamspeak logged on and selected allied fighters but never heard any chatter before I got booted. That was on my second attempt. At least I think I know how it works now.

Jaws2002
03-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Spits vs 109's has some strict rules for taxi.
You are not allowed to use the taxiways for take off. You have to check the traffic and taxi to the runway. It can be difficult sometime to navigate on the ground, but the server is very bussy and they need some sort of discipline. I think that's the reason you got booted.
Only one other server (Zekes vs Wildcats) has this rules in place, so in other servers you won't get booted instantly, but this are very good things to follow in any server. There were a lot colisions in servers because some people don't watch the traffic around and wich way they take off.
There are a lot of people that simply start the engine give it full throttle and off they go in any direction the plane was pointing.
Is nice to let the landing planes in first. Some could be damaged, wounded or almost out of fuel and going around means in many cases crash.

Xiolablu3
03-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by brewens:
Thanks Hoenire,

I did manage to get on a server but spits vs 109's probably wasn't a good choice. I chewed up a Ju-88 before I got hit and went in the drink.
Then I screwed up and wrecked taxiing. I think I just went off the taxi strip and turned to sharp and lost it. Then I got kicked. Not sure why that was. Do they boot you for bonehead driving or was it because I had already been shot down?
I got my teamspeak logged on and selected allied fighters but never heard any chatter before I got booted. That was on my second attempt. At least I think I know how it works now.

Try an easier server to start, many have externals on so that you can get used to the taxiing easier. SPits Vs 109's is the absolute hardest settings you can get, harder than most other servers like Warcl;ouds, UKded, Skies of *, etc.

Try Ukdedicated 2, that has externals on (F keys) and friendly icons, cockpit always on. ALso the admins are very friendly and the missions very well made.

skarden
03-24-2008, 01:53 AM
and in regard to teamspeak,you have to go into the game and make sure the in game mic system(radio)is turned off or it'll override teamspeak and you won't hear anything.

Hoenire's post really sums it up well as far as where to start and the things to strive to do.

and remeber the best advise i ever got was to treat my virtual life like my real one!,be carefull!! if it looks dodgy or like your gunna loose the advantage,bug out! if your not sure what going on around you,bug out! regain your situational awareness and THEN head back into the fray.

and of coarse to hammer in what Hoenire said some more Altitude,Altitude,Altitude! if your above everybody else YOU can pick the fight not the enemy,

good luck and have fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ~S~

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-24-2008, 08:11 AM
You don't normally get kicked on Spits-v-109's for crashing on taxi ways and such. They have VERY LOW TOLERANCE for incorrect markings though and will kick you rather quickly if you don't comply with the proper markings for the given side and mission.

As far as procedure to get online, you'll want to start your TrackIR and try to get on teamSpeak before you start the sim.

brewens
03-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by skarden:
and in regard to teamspeak,you have to go into the game and make sure the in game mic system(radio)is turned off or it'll override teamspeak and you won't hear anything.

Hoenire's post really sums it up well as far as where to start and the things to strive to do.

and remeber the best advise i ever got was to treat my virtual life like my real one!,be carefull!! if it looks dodgy or like your gunna loose the advantage,bug out! if your not sure what going on around you,bug out! regain your situational awareness and THEN head back into the fray.

and of coarse to hammer in what Hoenire said some more Altitude,Altitude,Altitude! if your above everybody else YOU can pick the fight not the enemy,

good luck and have fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ~S~

Thanks, the in game radio was most likely my problem on that last try. I'll be on there tonight after work, giving it another try.

Hoenire
03-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Ok there are 5 things. The fifth is probably the hardest - perseverance. Offline is very easy compared with online and it can be dispiriting to be shot down a lot and have a poor kill/death ratio. It's excellent that you managed to chew up a Ju88 as that will give you an appetite for more.

All of us have a bad day, even the very best will have days when they don't quite hit anything and everyone else manages to shoot them. Your bad days will be a lot more than the good days, at least initially, so persevere and in a month or so you'll start to notice the good days! Concentrate on always getting home - medals don't sound great dropped onto a coffin.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hmm, maybe 6 things. Don't let any online antics annoy you. If someone steals your kill, so what. If someone shoots over your shoulder, so what. If someone calls you a noob, or accuses you of something you did or didn't do,so what. There are lots of things that can be irritating when you're flying online. Don't let it bother you because the most important thing is not what others do, but what YOU do.

S! or Horrido!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

brewens
03-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Hoenire:
Ok there are 5 things. The fifth is probably the hardest - perseverance. Offline is very easy compared with online and it can be dispiriting to be shot down a lot and have a poor kill/death ratio. It's excellent that you managed to chew up a Ju88 as that will give you an appetite for more.

All of us have a bad day, even the very best will have days when they don't quite hit anything and everyone else manages to shoot them. Your bad days will be a lot more than the good days, at least initially, so persevere and in a month or so you'll start to notice the good days! Concentrate on always getting home - medals don't sound great dropped onto a coffin.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hmm, maybe 6 things. Don't let any online antics annoy you. If someone steals your kill, so what. If someone shoots over your shoulder, so what. If someone calls you a noob, or accuses you of something you did or didn't do,so what. There are lots of things that can be irritating when you're flying online. Don't let it bother you because the most important thing is not what others do, but what YOU do.

S! or Horrido!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks again. I do kind of know what to expect.
I was in on the early days of online racing. I managed to eventually make it into one of the elite Nascar leagues. Mainly because I was rated as one of the safest drivers.
I did that by developing stable racing setups and being patient. Not being the one to cause the wreck was crucial.
I couldn't keep up with the technology. A new version came out that I couldn't run and I never upgraded and got back into it.
Now that I have a pretty decent PC this seems like a lot more fun than racing.

Jaws2002
03-24-2008, 09:46 PM
There's a racing server here too. Is more fun going around the circuit in planes, at 350m/h. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif