PDA

View Full Version : Bad Ping, the quickest path to a fiery death?

Lead-Brick
03-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Hi

How much of a disadvantage does bad ping put you at in an online game? I'm getting 350-450 for my ping rates most times I fly online. Now the thing is I can hold my own against 3 veteran AI in offline quick missions but get blown out of the sky by one human opponent online. Now I figure that I probably need more practice and should stop whingeing but on the off chance its hardware related I'd ask for the communities thoughts.

Cheers

Kim

PBNA-Boosher
03-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Bad pings lead to massive packet loss problems. If you've got a bad ping, don't fly an aircraft with .50's, that's for sure. The slower your connection the harder to hit objects, as most bullets are sent by packets- packets that are generally lost with high pings.

You will most often be watching a few milliseconds of the action after it takes place. This is true with most people, but even more-so for people with high pings. It leads to warping/etc... It can also cause problems for you, as you're seeing things later than they actually happened.

Bad pings also are not fun because you get yourself kicked out of the good servers: Winds of War, Warclouds, etc... if your ping is above their limit.

FrenziedAU
03-18-2007, 11:20 PM
I tend to have a ping of around 300 (living in Australia), and I don't find it that much of a problem. I haven't noticed many symptoms of packet loss, and I've never been told that I was warping.
The biggest thing to remember with a high ping is that everyone is 1/3 of a second or so ahead of where you see them. This doesn't change your shooting, since I believe hits are calculated on your computer, but you will see shots going behind you, and then your wing falls off.
Wierdness can also occur with collisions - I have occasionally collided with someone and had them explode and me be fine (the reverse has also happened).

Brain32
03-19-2007, 11:14 AM
OK but what is considered as a bad ping or a good ping? I have 145-150 towards my favourite server...

rnzoli
03-19-2007, 11:34 AM
depends on how much lag you or your server's admin accept http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AFAIK the IL-2 "ping" is the round (back and forth) trip time for packets between your PC and the server, in milliseconds.

So basically, it shows how much you are lagging behind on the events that happen on the server. The more you lag, the more delay you see - e.g., someone shooting at way behind you, but then suddenly getting a PK.

In my experience, a steady ping is quite good up to 100ms, becomes increasingly noticeable around 300ms, can become really annoying about 500ms.

However, if you ping is not steady, and shows variations greater than 50 ms, that's an indication of warping, or 'time jumps'. Even if you have low pings in general, a ping spikes indicate network reliability problems.

By the way, back to OP, bad ping has nothing to do with fiery death. Bad piloting has http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Me talking from experience - good ping, certain death http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ken_Det
03-19-2007, 12:25 PM
How do you tell what your ping is?
Is it in the stats some where?
By that I mean pressing the S button.

FrenziedAU
03-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Yep, your ping is in the stats screen - some small numbers in white and brackets next to your name, e.g. (295)
I can't remember if they are before or after your name, but look for the small white number.

Ken_Det
03-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
I thought that might be the ping rate.
Mine is between (73), and (78) most of the time on fallenangels.
Dose not seem to cause any problems.
Is that good or bad.
I know when I'm on Zekes V Wildcats its a lot more but seems to cause stutters from time to time.
Is a smaller number good or do you need a bigger number ?

waffen-79
03-20-2007, 01:29 PM
lower is always good

i.e. mine is between 98-128

that is because my UPLOAD speed 128bps (I know that's bad)

even that my DOWNLOAD speed is 1.5mbps it's doesn't really matter

Lead-Brick
03-20-2007, 01:46 PM
well thats gotta beat 56k dailup every time eh?

As rnzoli noted its probably that I'm not getting stable ping thats most of my problem. One of the symtoms I've noticed is instant pitch and roll changes from enemy aircraft, sort of flitting about. Makes deflection shooting a *****.

I'll be sticking to the Ozzy servers till I get my internet connection up graded. Some of them ping at ~250 for me and my life expectancy is much better. (from testing the other night)

Ken_Det
03-22-2007, 01:48 AM
This has been very helpfull.
Thanks all.
I know what you mean Lead-Brick.
I waited untill I got DSL High speed befor I took my game on line.
Still a lot to learn, and its more fun than playing the AI pilots.
5 years of that was enuff LOL http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

XyZspineZyX
03-22-2007, 06:10 AM
We have a member of our squad that has a ping of 2000 all the time. As long as he doesnt do any violent manoeuvering its not so bad.

It really sucks to dogfight against him because you never know where he's coming from. You look back at your 6 and say "pff, he's not even lined up on me" and then BOOM he killed you. When you're chasing him its even worse, as he's jinking around all you see is a speed warping airplane, and you cant get a good shot lined up.

So bad ping would give others a hard time, not you.

Philipscdrw
03-22-2007, 06:14 AM
Bad ping gets me ejected from WarClouds more than the deathkick...