PDA

View Full Version : FortiClient / Impressions and Comments

-HH-Quazi
04-03-2005, 01:18 PM
I never knew how much Norton Internet Security was making applications slow to open until I got aggravated with it conflicting with my Creative drivers and decided to install this FortiClient for firewall/antivirus protection yesterday. Now when I open Outlook Express to check my mail, it opens and checks my mail so fast that I don't even notice it. Not only that, but when I was hosting missions for our squad last night, this AMD 64 3500 acted like it had Hyper-Threading. Even while my m8's were flying, I could surf the forums or check my email because they opened up that much more quickly. Last week when I was hosting, it would take at least the better part of a minute to open anything. I don't make a habit of doing this while hosting, I just wanted to see if there were any differences since installing FortiClient. So far, I am impressed.

Anyone else using this program and have any comments, good or bad, about it. I gave it a try after reading a thread last week where Baldie Jr mentioned it and made it a recommendation of sorts.

BaldieJr
04-03-2005, 04:07 PM
You are the only person who took the challenge.

-HH-Quazi
04-03-2005, 07:30 PM
I sure did. Heck, I didn't even hesitate not to go get it. I just didn't know when I would be willing to give it a shot. And when my NAV Auto-Protect started having issues because of the Creative stuff, I thought it would be a good time to give it a try. And I am glad I did. I can't seem to find a price for it anywhere. I am hoping the lowly home user would be given a free pass, but I doubt it. Do you have any idea what they charge for it Baldie Jr.?

BaldieJr
04-03-2005, 07:41 PM
The only limitation to the software is its' encryption strength is limited to single-DES. To you, this means nothing. If you were using the VPN portion of the software, you might be concerned.

If you uncheck the box that says "Load FortiClient console when system starts up", you'll not see the nag-screen when your computer starts.

As far as pricing, I'd have to talk to my sales-guy because I honestly don't know. Since the evaluation is not time-limited (you can use it/update it forever), I doubt you'll want to buy it unless you need triple-DES VPN.

Now, if you have a whole network of computers that you need to protect, we can talk about a hardware solution http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

-HH-Quazi
04-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Is it at least as good as the Norton Internet Security program I was using, and the Norton Anti-Virus that comes with it? Thanks for taking the time to tell me about it Baldie Jr.

BaldieJr
04-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Its better.

I just found out that they no longer offer free updates. Since I run licensed copies (paid for by my job), I was completely unaware. I'll contact my rep and see what the pricing is.

If it turns out to be pricey I'll stop recomending it.

-HH-Quazi
04-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Ok m8. Thanks for checking on that. I'll go back to Norton if I have too, unless this program is affordable for the home user. But I have a feeling that this program is marketed towards the corporate world. And therefore I'd say it will be a bit pricey. I am curious as to what it costs. When you find out, will you post it here or give me a pm on it? Thanks m8!