PDA

View Full Version : 4.00 impressions

EnGaurde
06-11-2005, 07:15 AM
an early download, and dwnld from the original 1C source way back....

flight model? i have to say, it adds a "weight" or "inertia" to the aircraft i never appreciated before.

And, i like it.

Adds strangely a percentage of predictability for me that i like.

to be precise, the aircraft "float" less. You can predict your flightpath better seeing mass seems to have an existance / effect on flight behaviour.

E.G. : forget late, radical maneouver in landing. Set yourself up accordingly, and due to better mass represention, flare on landings become actually possible in the true sense of the term? You may pitch up, but youre flight path will likely stay as before.....

Take off is wandering and requires greater attention to counter yaw to port, but not what i would label difficult to mildly experienced PF flyers.

as in, the plane seems to want to continue in its established direction much more than before.

its not dramatic.... its easily containable.

but there are subtle differences you have to respect before you go flinging your fav mount around the sky when its all settled.

something that shocked me, is that your target will be shredded should you catch it squarely, where before it may simply smoke and fly wounded? Damage is increased, be it direct or inherited.

and the sky..... sweet. Indescribable. I flew an early Euro map, and the rambling overcast was almost breathtaking to see. Took me back to looking out from Arthurs Seat near Edinburgh, one gloomy morning many years ago...

first impressions is that this is a worthy update.

bravo.

Banger2004
06-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Darn it. Beginning to look as if I'll have to find this patch everyone is talking about and try it out for myself, the new effects sure do sound interesting. Or can I possibly hold out for a few more days and get the 'official' one.

For sure, I am not going to gripe about it, I was amazed when I bought PF (my first flight sim) at the experience, and I find it only gets better with development. Not ever having flown any of these aircraft, let alone in combat, I will have to trust Oleg et al have modelled them correctly.

Guess I'd better start looking for that patch, my joystick is twitching.....ahem.

SeaFireLIV
06-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Banger2004:

For sure, I am not going to gripe about it, I was amazed when I bought PF (my first flight sim) at the experience, and I find it only gets better with development.

If you`re amazed with it so far wait till you Patch it. The visual look alone with the clouds will blow you away. Especially full overcast. And the new FMs aren`t that hard; a little patience, care and rudder and you`ll be up in no time, http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Oilburner_TAW
06-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Also, you will definately appreciate the ability to lock the tailwheel now. Another observation on "mass" is that when flying the Corsair I would always try to force the tail up as soon as possible to help gain speed when taking off from a carrier. Now, if you force the tail up, once it starts coming up it doesn't want to stop and it is very easy to just keep going and drive your prop into the deck (much less the fact that as soon as the tail comes up the plane trys to a 90 degree turn).

Banger2004
06-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Thx for the input. I'll download today, try it and see. It seems the cloud effects etc don't put too much strain on the computer (according to other posts), so the only thing stopping me is will I be able to cope with the new FM (hell, I got shot down regular in HL, a few more times won't matter!).

I hope there is a magic cure for my terrible gunnery skills, but I don't suppose Oleg catered for MY deficiencies...........lol

JunkoIfurita
06-11-2005, 04:38 PM
I put 32 AI bombers up in the air in order to test the strain of the new FM on my PC and - no change in FPS - lovely!

New flight model's processor drag isn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting. It's a lovely thing, ain't it?

But...I have to run with the old clouds for the moment http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif I go back to 8-10 fps when I fly in full overcast. (Running a 2.4Ghz P4, 1 Gig ram, FX5700LEQ card - probably the card that's stuffing me up, it's a heap of junk).

Still, getting a new monster beast at the end of the month http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif 6800Ultra PCI-e and Water=3 - here I come!

----

EnGaurde
06-11-2005, 08:15 PM
yes Junk i think youve nailed it with the card identification for poor fps.

frankly, racing has always improved the breed, yes?

consequently it also means that if you want the performance you have to look to the higher end of the scale.

i do realise not everyones made of money, ie me, but to give a better experience in simming i support 1c:maddoxs sacrificing older cards on the altar of improvement.

i think this sim needs to cater for the upper end of the card and pc spectrum. You just wont get all the FM and DM and enviro goodies everyone screams for by coding backwards compatibility.