PDA

View Full Version : The entrance into Portsmouth...

gsc67
06-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Can someone explain to me why Portsmouth is so heavily protected in '39 ? Outside the thin channel to get in there are 5 destroyers and when you get in there are three more, though two are docked. Is there not some historical fact to go along with this ? I once heard that there was some main Battle Ships and Heavy Cruisers around there. Or am I mistaken ? For that place is a fortress for there being only a T-2 and a C-2 docked along with a few Sm Merchants.

geoffwessex
06-15-2007, 11:12 PM
I think you'd have to bear in mind that the RN Home Fleet moved its base to Scapa Flow almost immediately on outbreak of war, though some ships were being refitted in the docks well out of harm's way (except for aerial attack, of course). As for it still being fairly well protected, the whole area was full of training schools, barracks, armament depots, stores, workshops etc. and would have still been a very valuable port - let alone the embarassment of having an enemy ship playing around inside.

Somebody at the time may well have considered the risk of a torpedo attack on a 'heavy' ship leaving or entering harbour - it would have effectively sealed the port. It's still a narrow harbour entrance - in the days when the RN had 'big' ships, a rowing boat couldn't get in at the same time as a carrier - and in later years the USN was probably disappointed when their nuclear carriers couldn't get in (though they hadn't missed anything!)

By the way, IRL it is (and was) not possible to enter the harbour at periscope depth.

Now, I'm not saying SH3 designers had thought of all this when they wrote the program, but it would fit in historically.

Starforce3
06-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Where is it? Put up some pics of the vessel arangements too. I might hafta go check that out since it's early 41 for me. I'd love to sink a BB.

gsc67
06-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks Geoff ! I could not get in a P-Depth.. I surfaced the boat in the dark of night for 10min. and snuck through and went back under. I thought maybe off to the west in the open bay inlet the docked the ships out there but no go.

gsc67
06-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Portsmouth is s-sw through the Channel on the low side of the Brittish Isle...Due south of Bristol. Once you get in there are some nice size ships inside. I did not get to the far north side of the docks where there might be more ships.

Starforce3
06-16-2007, 01:27 AM
ok, now you got me wanting to try to sneak in there...

Foehammer-1
06-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Interesting, i sneaked into there in 1940, and found nothing except mines. And DD's

gsc67
06-16-2007, 08:20 AM
I just left in Nov of '39

geoffwessex
06-16-2007, 09:55 PM
In five SH3 careers so far, I have kept well clear of Portsmouth. Maybe it's because I spent too much time there in my own (real) career!

It looks pretty good on Google Earth, though!