PDA

View Full Version : G-10 queries

Jabout
11-12-2005, 03:34 AM
Why has the G-10 no 20mm option for the nose, much better for dog fighting than the 108 elefant gun, could it be fixed in a future patch, who would one lobby?

Why has the G-10 no drop tank, again any suggestions as to lobbying on this?

Dunkelgrun
11-12-2005, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Jabout:
Why has the G-10 no 20mm option for the nose, much better for dog fighting than the 108 elefant gun, could it be fixed in a future patch, who would one lobby?

Why has the G-10 no drop tank, again any suggestions as to lobbying on this?

Development work on the IL-2 series is about finished, so no point in lobbying for any minor changes as they won't get done. All of 1C's efforts are now channeled into BoB.

Cheers!

Jabout
11-12-2005, 03:49 AM
Pity, with the 20mm it would be one of the best balanced planes in the sim.

Ruy Horta
11-12-2005, 06:08 AM
In some ways the design team had its head up its proverbial <fill it in yourself>

Of course to critque is easy, but where they have applied great fantasy in all kinds of esoteric variants and equipment options, they have simply ingnored the basic. Yet they find the courage to brush it off (like the above post) by mentioning time, funds and new developments.

As if adding the option to carry a droptank, or ordenance or different weapons requires major coding efforts. If they claim that, it is simply not true...

But yes, after 12-18 months it is really a mute point. This project has been terminated.

Kuna15
11-12-2005, 06:57 AM
Droptank is the simple most needed 'item' for G10 IMO. Remembering those times when I played with Gustav 10 that fact made my virtual life very tough in offline campaign especially (one must be very economical not to vaste fuel, and restrain himself from roaming around the map if not neccesary). I always selected 100% fuel unless it is scramble mission or some online action. For instance I fly Lavochkins now and usual fuel loadout for me is 75%, although in shorter distances I use 50%+80l.drop tanks.

VW-IceFire
11-12-2005, 07:10 AM
As far as I know, the choice to put the MK108 in the G-10 was along the same lines as the G-14. The G-14 we have ingame is a Hungarian produced one. The G-10 I think is still a German produced one but, and maybe I'm just making stuff up here, they were produced separately with MK108 or MG151/20 in the hub.

I can't see it being changed...maybe back after it was made available in the first place but not now.

JG52Karaya-X
11-12-2005, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Dunkelgrun:

Development work on the IL-2 series is about finished, so no point in lobbying for any minor changes as they won't get done. All of 1C's efforts are now channeled into BoB.

Cheers!

Sorry but that seems a bit of a lame answer. First of all we wouldn't need any new 3D models for additional external stores (Bf109G10/14 & FW190D9 need bombs, drop tanks). ETC racks and bombs/drop-tanks for the 109s would be exactly the same as on any previous or later (K4) model.

I don't think it would be all that much work to do - we got another Yak7 and P47 this patch that have the same 3D model and a slightly tuned FM. So why no more stores?

@bout the 20mm for G10 and G14: Oleg said already a zillion times that he is modelling the hungarian built planes which had the Mk108 installed most of the times!

Jabout
11-12-2005, 07:23 AM
Has it really been terminated?

Are we therefore not going to get a flyable Tempest?

Jabout
11-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Oleg said already a zillion times that he is modelling the hungarian built planes

Sorry I didn't realise.

But does that really prevent us having a G-10 with a 20mm?

Ruy Horta
11-12-2005, 08:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oleg said already a zillion times that he is modelling the hungarian built planes

Sorry I didn't realise.

But does that really prevent us having a G-10 with a 20mm? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That whole Hungarian G-14 thing is overstated. With major components being from German manufacture (Engine, Guns etc), the margin for superiority can only be found in final assembly.

The G-14 was a mixed bird, it may have been an attempt at a standard late war Gustav, but it became almost as varied as the G-6.

So what exact Hungarian G-14 is compared to what German G-14? If you have no exact answers, there is no claim to made about alleged superior performance.

JG52Karaya-X
11-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Ruy Horta:
The G-14 was a mixed bird, it may have been an attempt at a standard late war Gustav, but it became almost as varied as the G-6.

The G14 was indeed the first attempt of standardizing the production among the various manufacturers - it failed however. The G10 which came into service later on had partial success in standardizing the production but only the K4 fully succeeded at this in the end...

VW-IceFire
11-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Has it really been terminated?

Are we therefore not going to get a flyable Tempest?
No its not been terimanted...but there are only so many hours to go around.

Adding new weapons seems to be a difficult task. How many years did we have to lobby to get two measley 250lb bombs on the Hurricane IIB? How many years did we mention that the P-51B/C/D are missing Bazooka Tube rocket launchers? How many years did we ask for armament and drop tanks on the Bf109F-2 and F-4?

Its the same thing...it must be more work than we know and more than their willing to do.

Honestly, between hours spent on some new and varried types of fighters, or hours spent on a 250kg bomb on a Bf109...I'd take the new aircraft.

We know that the vast majority of Oleg's team is now busy on Battle of Britain. One or two guys are sometimes working on the FB+AEP+PF stuff and no doubt Oleg has some involvement somewhere. But its no longer a direct sorce of revinue and we're lucky to see it supported as long as they do.

I figure they do support as much as possible as they know they want to keep us happy as possible until the next product can be released. And I'm pretty happy...I'll be jumping for joy when I can finally fly a Tempest...

So here's my last little bit...

If you want a reasonably performing Bf109 to have a 20mm cannon, the solution that is presently available is the Bf109G-6A/S (which I'm told is really a G-14A/S). To my knowledge, its nearly as fast as a G-10 and perhaps even more manueverable. I know its not perfect and heck if it were me I'd be giving every option in the book so you can fly it your way but its not me and we have to makedo with some things.

We cannot have it all...priorities.

Dunkelgrun
11-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by JG52Karaya-X:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dunkelgrun:

Cheers!

Sorry but that seems a bit of a lame answer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well you are quite entitled to think so, but read through any of the hundreds of threads in a similar vein, and even the ones posted by Oleg himself, and you'll see that it's simply the truth.
I'm not doing anything here other than passing on what I've read.

If anything that hasn't been announced comes in the 'great final patch' then great, I'm all for it, but 1C are not putting any more time and effort into IL-2 FB than they have to.