PDA

View Full Version : Hello&abit about the 262

Whirlin_merlin
02-11-2006, 03:48 AM
Hello, this is my first post (although I have browsed these forums for sometime) so er hello.

I just thought I'd introduce myself and as not to be a total waste of your time relate an anecdote (sp?) I was told last night.

Chatting to 81yr old vetern last night the conversation wandered on to the subject of the me262 (as it does).
Len told me how he was straffed by one in Holland, he clearly remembers hearing an unearthly sound and not knowing what it was. Luckily he had been in since N Africa and had devoloped enough paranoia to dive instantly into a ditch. Unfortunatly a group of newly arrived American troops were slower to react and in Len's words "the poor boys were taken to pieces".

So Len can confirm that the 262 can be deadly in the ground attack role but neither of us could fathom why Hitler was so insistant that it be used as a bomber, when it appears so much beeter suited to be a fighter/interceptor.

My question is was it a stupid desicion or am I missing something?

SeaNorris
02-11-2006, 03:52 AM
Well from what I read on the 262, it was pushed back due to engines and the fact Hitler wanted a bomber and that, I personally think it was a bad decision.

Waldo.Pepper
02-11-2006, 04:01 AM
Clearly history has judged it to be a bad decision. However, Hitler was in a desperate situation. He needed a way to strike back and in an unstoppable bomber he thought that he had found it.

In 1940 when England was against the wall, the correct production decision was made to NOT abandon the production of bombers for more fighters. Perhaps watching his cities being converted into rubble Hitler was being influenced by this decision, no matter how late in the game.

If Hitler had any talent for war, and even that I think we all can see is debatable, it was in the broad but shallow strategic arena when his imagination could see an opportunity that others missed.

Whirlin_merlin
02-11-2006, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
Clearly history has judged it to be a bad decision.

True I supose hindsight does make it easy to look down on choices made. Something else I've often wondered about is wheter it really was entirly Hitler's decision, the sources I've read always seem to soley "blame" him but I suppose some others would have agreed at the time.

Badsight.
02-11-2006, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Whirlin_merlin:
My question is was it a stupid desicion or am I missing something? its a good decision

because it saved many Bomber crewmen from being shot down

the 262 , if it was given proper attention , could have wrecked havok with the Bombing raids . the Me-262 used properly could have helped lengthen WW2

Hitlers control stuffed the Me-262 program - & that is a good thing

CUJO_1970
02-11-2006, 07:13 AM
The desicion to employ the Me262 as a Jabo was a good one.

To give the Jabo priority over the interceptor version was not.

Whirlin_merlin
02-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Badsight.:

Hitlers control stuffed the Me-262 program - & that is a good thing

Later in the conversation Len did say the best thing we ( the allies) did in the war was not asassinate Hitler. Refering to desicions like that. That is a bit of a throw away remark but there often does appear to be some truth in it.

OldMan____
02-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Whirlin_merlin:
Hello, this is my first post (although I have browsed these forums for sometime) so er hello.

I just thought I'd introduce myself and as not to be a total waste of your time relate an anecdote (sp?) I was told last night.

Chatting to 81yr old vetern last night the conversation wandered on to the subject of the me262 (as it does).
Len told me how he was straffed by one in Holland, he clearly remembers hearing an unearthly sound and not knowing what it was. Luckily he had been in since N Africa and had devoloped enough paranoia to dive instantly into a ditch. Unfortunatly a group of newly arrived American troops were slower to react and in Len's words "the poor boys were taken to pieces".

So Len can confirm that the 262 can be deadly in the ground attack role but neither of us could fathom why Hitler was so insistant that it be used as a bomber, when it appears so much beeter suited to be a fighter/interceptor.

My question is was it a stupid desicion or am I missing something?

Jus timagine if it had ben used wisely (and produced and delivered in time). A group of 40 Me262 carring bombs in fast low level raid.. what coudl hae them done to RN and prevent landing efforts?

Hristo_
02-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Me 262 as Jabo was a good idea, IMO.

Me 262 as an interceptor was a good idea too.