PDA

View Full Version : Could S.o.w. be sooner than expected .

Bartman.
12-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Don't want to be overly optimistic but ....

leitmotiv
12-25-2007, 10:33 PM
This falls within the realm of necromancy.

VMF-214_HaVoK
12-25-2007, 10:55 PM
Longer then expected...so no.

S!

Skycat_2
12-25-2007, 10:58 PM
We've been guessing SoW's release date since 2004. It's already later than we expected.

CUJO_1970
12-26-2007, 04:44 AM
Sooner than later...lol not possible even if it got here yesterday.

Right now I'm not as concerned with the release date as I am with the haphazard update schedule.

ytareh
12-26-2007, 05:00 AM
Latest PC GAMER -UK Edition -magazine says that its due Summer 2008 and that it will have a 'command'/'strategy' element (like BOB2/WOV?).Both of these facts are news to me...I gave up on believing release dates after the Pe2 add on.It was meant to be 100% ready for release but still took 3-6 months to appear.Oleg was quoted as saying that SOW HAD to be released for (last....)November....
It would be more productive to be guessing the date for the end of the world....we may as well enjoy what we have...
But certainly the original poster did make an interesting observation.

ytareh
12-26-2007, 05:02 AM
Oh yeah same mag also says that the Falklands combat flight sim is also due out round then....looks interesting !

MEGILE
12-26-2007, 05:18 AM
My magic balls say, March 51st 2012.

ElAurens
12-26-2007, 05:30 AM
December 2008.

Be sure.

Feathered_IV
12-26-2007, 05:35 AM
I don't think it will ever see the light of day.

Xiolablu3
12-26-2007, 06:12 AM
Of course it will be released, but like ID's John Carmack always says,

'it will be done when its done'

We certainly donbt want a bug ridden, half finished POS which is rushed out. That would be the worst possible scenario.

Just wait and be patient. We have 300+ planes and endless maps to play in IL2 already.

Tab_Flettner
12-26-2007, 07:23 AM
Note: also listed is "Oleg Maddox's Read Room". Hows that been going lately? So.....no. Or maybe, "Sure no". Not holding out a great deal of hope I'm afraid.

Bearcat99
12-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Megile:

Originally posted by Feathered_IV:

Originally posted by Tab_Flettner:
Note: also listed is "Oleg Maddox's Read Room". Hows that been going lately? So.....no. Or maybe, "Sure no". Not holding out a great deal of hope I'm afraid.

For the life of me I don't understand the reasoning behind this take on the issue... Oh ye of little faith.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

As for it being sooner than expected... LOL it is already too late for that.

VW-IceFire
12-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Its obviously March 42nd 2012...you were misinformed!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MEGILE
12-26-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Megile:

Originally posted by Tab_Flettner:

For the life of me I don't understand the reasoning behind this take on the issue... Oh ye of little faith.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me neither.
I was being facetious btw.

I_KG100_Prien
12-26-2007, 09:30 AM
This makes one think there really IS a horse flogging cult.....

Rebel_Yell_21
12-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Duke Nukem Forever has a teaser out, so anything is possible.

TgD Thunderbolt56
12-26-2007, 10:52 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Rjel
12-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Me neither.
I was being facetious btw.

No!?! You???? That's so unlike you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JG52Uther
12-26-2007, 11:45 AM
When it does come out,what makes you think you will hear about it here?
No one has heard anything about a SoW/ubi tie in for a long long time here.

Flying_Mex
12-26-2007, 12:10 PM
Does anyone else find this similar to GnR's Chinese Democracy Album situation?

THATS IT...Oleg really is Axl Rose!!! I KNEW IT!!!!

F0_Dark_P
12-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Rebel_Yell_21:
Duke Nukem Forever has a teaser out, so anything is possible.

OMG! hope this wont be a new Duke Nukem Forever!
i remember me and my friends bashing it in 99 something because they never menaged to release it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

..No! jerk yourself up Dark it will come! i have faith with you Oleg! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

jarink
12-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Since they already missed the '07 Christmas (or 'Holiday' for some you) season, there is really no big reason why it should be released before November 08. That gives Oleg & co. plenty of time to not inform us of the release date.

jensenpark
12-26-2007, 12:33 PM
development time will exceed the length of the war itself

DuxCorvan
12-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Listen to BearCat! It's a question a faith. This is, it requires that you believe it even when there's no evidence at all, or even against reason... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

My guess is... unless there's a revival of interest in the combat sim entertainment niche market, SoW is running against time, and the odds are against it more and more every day. UBI will finally press Oleg to release *something* and we'll have a half-a$sed, incomplete product that may disappoint even Oleg's most loyal fans.

Sorry, but that's IMO the looks of things right today. Of course, I may be wrong. I must be. I better be.

If some developer or official speaker wants to deny it with actual fact, it will be great, for right until now, I just see a very slow and erratic development -like they had met some unsolvable issue or problem that have stopped or slowed progress down.

This silly Manhattan-Project secrecy is just demoralising and decreasing the interest and credibility of the whole thing.

DuxCorvan
12-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
We certainly donbt want a bug ridden, half finished POS which is rushed out. That would be the worst possible scenario.

But that's what happens when you play with the patience of big distributing companies. A too slow-paced development will finally consume UBI's patience, and you'll have your 'worst' scenario, or even worse, cancellation. (Because a bad game may, at least, be patched and made better thanks to Maddox legendary support).

JG52Uther
12-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Again,you are assuming that ubi will have anything to do with the publishing of SoW.

slipBall
12-26-2007, 02:32 PM
(quote)
for right until now, I just see a very slow and erratic development -like they had met some unsolvable issue or problem that have stopped or slowed progress down.

Yea, it's called the "hack"

Edbert
12-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Oops...someone else mentioned Duke Nukem 2 already...dang.

JG52Uther
12-26-2007, 02:51 PM
I find this press release quite interesting.
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24423

I know its for RO,but until ubi tell me otherwise,I don't believe Oleg will be using them for SoW.

Bearcat99
12-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by JG52Uther:
Again,you are assuming that ubi will have anything to do with the publishing of SoW.

Originally posted by JG52Uther:
I find this press release quite interesting.
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24423

I know its for RO,but until ubi tell me otherwise,I don't believe Oleg will be using them for SoW.

Bingo.. I agree... With the following that 1C sims have, with every flight sim publication I know of saying that this series is the top dog of WWII flight sims at the moment, unequivocally, and with Oleg continuously as of December 21st still giving updates, small though they may be, on SoW, and the content of those updates I think the more sensible and intelligent debate should be not if but when and more importantly published by whom... I think 1C has cut out the middle man.. I think the deal is already done... why else would we get nothing from UBI or Oleg here anymore. I know we have some major jerks... some 5 star jerks over here in fact.. but Oleg is a businessman.. and even though I am sure he is tired of getting some of the cr@p from some folks here.... he is a big boy... and this is business.. not personal.. For us to get info from other sites before here is not something that a publisher would go for I think... Not when they are providing a forum for that very purpose.. unless the terms of that agreement have changed or been fulfilled or what ever...I really don't care when it comes. I am still having a load of fun off of FB.... after 6 years... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

I am confident that SoW will be released and whenever that is, by sundown of whatever day that is I will have it on my HD so I can plan my upgrade..

Krt_Bong
12-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by ytareh:
Latest PC GAMER -UK Edition -magazine says that its due Summer 2008 and that it will have a 'command'/'strategy' element (like BOB2/WOV?).Both of these facts are news to me...I gave up on believing release dates after the Pe2 add on.It was meant to be 100% ready for release but still took 3-6 months to appear.Oleg was quoted as saying that SOW HAD to be released for (last....)November....
It would be more productive to be guessing the date for the end of the world....we may as well enjoy what we have...
But certainly the original poster did make an interesting observation.
Um, the End of the world will be Friday April 13, 2039 when Asteroid Apophas hits the Earth. This has already been calculated according to Astronomers, so the way I see it SOW will be released April 12 the same year.

Tab_Flettner
12-26-2007, 04:48 PM
"When it does come out,what makes you think you will hear about it here?
No one has heard anything about a SoW/ubi tie in for a long long time here."

That was my point. If you follow the 1C forum its obvious the Ubi/Maddox connection is a little sketchy.

Feathered_IV
12-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
Listen to BearCat! It's a question a faith. This is, it requires that you believe it even when there's no evidence at all, or even against reason... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

My guess is... unless there's a revival of interest in the combat sim entertainment niche market, SoW is running against time, and the odds are against it more and more every day. UBI will finally press Oleg to release *something* and we'll have a half-a$sed, incomplete product that may disappoint even Oleg's most loyal fans.

Sorry, but that's IMO the looks of things right today. Of course, I may be wrong. I must be. I better be.

If some developer or official speaker wants to deny it with actual fact, it will be great, for right until now, I just see a very slow and erratic development -like they had met some unsolvable issue or problem that have stopped or slowed progress down.

This silly Manhattan-Project secrecy is just demoralising and decreasing the interest and credibility of the whole thing.

That is it exactly.

Bearcat99
12-26-2007, 07:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DuxCorvan:

That is it exactly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pffft...! No evidence at all? Against all reason? ROFLMAO.... !! I am flying basically the same sim that I started flying in 2002. I have spent literally thousands of dollars over the past 6 years with all the upgrades and hardware add ons etc... and here's the kicker..
1)I am not alone!!
2)I am probably in the lower mid range of $$$ spent just to enjoy it more during my time with this sim when compared to many, many others in this community.....

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif No evidence? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif ... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif This sim is evidence... I have no doubts that SoW will be released, when I cant say, but it is coming... and when it does get here it will be just as revolutionary as IL2 was when it was released... Of course
You guys go right ahead and keep your take on the matter.. which of course you are absolutely entitled too... but I would rather listen to this guy:

Oleg Maddox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny View Post
1. Will we have animated livestock (sheep, cows, dogs) and will we have moving people running, walking, working and fighting in the virtual world below us...It would be wonderful to have soldiers react to diving Stuka...and it would feel quite satisfying to watch people run as you strafe an airfield (I know their is an issue with graphic gore, but maybe people could just fall down when they are killed, no blood or dismemberment). It would help with the feelings of being immersed in the world of the game...as disturbing as the notion may be it feels quite satisfying to see the effect of your actions on a "living" enemy...And lastly could we have flying birds as an obstacle/hazard of flight? (this was a big problem at many front line airfields)
Some sort of it. Not at all... you wouldn't have such a PC that would render all sort of your request on a great size of surface below together with a lot of very well detailed aircraft in air + AI of different actors + physics + many other things. However, no blood. I told already about it in previews answers

Quote:
2. My second question is about future development of the "Storm of War" series...Can I look forward to fighting and flying in the skys of the Pacific at some point in the future? As much as I love the European theater I also love the Pacific theater and I would very much like (and I'm not alone here) to have a "Pacific theater" game based on your wonderful new game engine...please,please,please
It is too early to say, but after the BoB we plan other theater, which never was modeled yet well...

Quote:
3. I have a question about the weapons functionality of Bombs and Torpedos.
While the Bomb is falling or the torpedo is running in water and the Player get killed or crashed before they detonate, will they do anyhow a damage??
I can't remember read or heard anything about that.
In BoB will be right. In Il-2 we will stay with it as it is. In BoB is completely new online code (doesn't matter for single or online)

Quote:
4. Could the damage on the planes be contiued on the next mission so you dont have new planes every single mission?
Yes, we plan it. How much in detail can't answer right now. If you'll look on second DVD (video) of our 1946 release (2DVDs) there is the video of some part prepared for that feature.

Quote:
5. Dear Oleg;

Sorry if I'm asking an already answered question, yet "checkRuntime=2" as we know conflicts when running different O.S.'s.....(Xp with Vista as an example)....

Can anything be done to resolve this issue, up to and possibly even getting help from Microsoft?..........This one point alone is keeping some from using checkRuntime=2, setting it to "1" instead.
In Il-2 it is already impossible. Really it is not our problem in code, but in BoB we are doing new things, so such a problem shouldn't be present.

Quote:
6. An anti-cheating measures question to Oleg: will we still have to rely a 3rd party program to ensure things are as they should be?

And to add, will support be added so ladders between clans are easier to arrange?
We are not able to rework completely code of Il-2 and its packing. For this we need too much time that we haven't due to developing of completely new code for BoB series. My team is totally busy. And I would say more: I still haven't enough people in my office that to work without overloading of each of my guys.
In BoB we will have all these things absolutely other. There will be so many new things for all, even for third party, but that will not damage the fair online gameplay.

Quote:
7. a). Will there be more accurate modeling of night vision (eg. flashes from firing a gun etc.) It can take up to ten minutes for eyesight to recover after being exposed to a very bright light (like a searchlight). In Il-2 the blindness lasts less than 10 seconds!
b). Will we be able to set the phase of the moon (time of month, full moon, half moon, moonless etc.)
c). Will any of the British nightfighters being planned carry their own, airborne searchlights?
d). Will there be flocks of geese to hit at night
a) Different people would have blindness for different time. Try to use yourself the light source in a almost dark room that to get the answer. Try with your friend. But don't use too power light of camera flash for such experiments!
b) Don't know at the moment all final detail. But the time of month - year is possible to set in IL-2 if you know how to make it
c) with release - no. But it is possible in future
d) Some sort of birds probably will be.

Quote:
8. Hello Oleg

I've been flying the IL-2 series almost exclusively since the Beta test days. I've also flown Rowans and Shockwaves BOB WOV off and on since that series began. Recently I have been flying alot of BOB WOV since the stability of the 2.07 patch and because of the engine start procedures, and the ability to simulate refueling and rearming. These few things add alot of immersion for me.

I know you have some sort of rearming and refuelling simulation planned for SOW but I think I remember reading that you weren't too interested in simulating clickable cockpits. I'm not interested in clickable cockpits either, but enjoy having the option to map the fuel *****, magneto's, fuel pump, and start switch to my Hotas. Do you have any plans to implement optional switches in the Controls section of SOW?
Third party would do it I think. Models of aircraft has all features that to program it.
However we don't plan to make for each aircraft 100% precise start of engine, etc... They are too different and not like it is in simulator above in most cases...
Some aircraft has 20 operations, some up to 40... for each aircraft we would need some sort of flight manual (Pilot Notes) in such a case. This is possible if we would make the sim of just one, or say couple of aircraft. But we will have way more... and we don't plan to continue development of SOW engine and BoB itself 3 years more.
In my very personal opinion the main thing in a flight sim of WWII is how the plane is fly and its physics in total + plus features and physics of the weapon and the damage that this weapon would do... say the complexity of the internal construction of aircraft... This would make sim way more realistic that to model instead of it the starting procedure... the gameplay would be in this case more better than the game play with immersion of only starting procedure. Yes, I would say it is also interesting, but for less than 1 % of users... that will use it constantly and will not switch off right after the first attempt.
Last edited by Oleg Maddox : 12-21-2007 at 09:44 AM.

So like I said, I'll listen to that guy... Why all the secrecy? I don't know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ... and frankly my dear....

All I know is that eventually the thing will be released and my most accurate guess... which is really all this is on all our parts is guessing.. but my most accurate guess would be some time in the next 18 months... I don't know why things are being delayed.. I know as much as you... but from a sheer circumstantial standpoint I would not be surprised if UBI was not the publisher.. or better yet.. if they are, I would be surprised if they had the same rights as they did with the IL2 series.. 1C in 2001 is not the same company as 1C in 2007 and none of us know any details whatsoever about the terms of the UBI/1C contract.... so I think the delays are just 1Cs way of responding to emerging technology, unforeseen obstacles and the same attention to detail that gave us this series that is still the best WWII flight sim on the market out of the box and is still selling after what... 7 years and at least 6 major incarnations? (IL2,FB,FB2.0,FB3.0,FB4.05 and FB 4.07)However you feel about the piecemeal way that this sim was marketed... most of the folks I know who bought this sim at each milestone of it's life do not feel cheated and are more than happy with the bang for the buck that they got. I know I am...

Choctaw111
12-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
.... so I think the delays are just 1Cs way of responding to emerging technology, unforeseen obstacles and the same attention to detail that gave us this series that is still the best WWII flight sim on the market out of the box and is still selling after what... 7 years and at least 6 major incarnations? (IL2,FB,FB2.0,FB3.0,FB4.05 and FB 4.07)However you feel about the piecemeal way that this sim was marketed... most of the folks I know who bought this sim at each milestone of it's life do not feel cheated and are more than happy with the bang for the buck that they got. I know I am...

Right on man!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Chivas
12-26-2007, 10:12 PM
I've flown IL-2 since the beta test days, and have been waiting for SOW long before its first proposed appearance set for the end of 2005.

BOB WOV has been delayed mainly by manpower being diverted for additions to the IL-2 series. You could sermize that Oleg realized that it wouldn't be possible to make SOW cinematic with the computers of the last few years.

Whatever the reason for the delays, all indications are that they are still working on it and closer than ever to beta. There are plenty of screenshots and posts by Oleg to show any reasonable person that its still in developement. Those that imply its vaporware are just trying to subvert more info. I hope it works. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

acer1234567
12-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Yaaawwnn.. zzzzzz
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

dont you people have lives?

cant you wait a few months for a computer game to come out

sooo boring!!

Rjel
12-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Like most here, I've tried to stay on the sidelines of this discussion. The battlelines are clearly drawn between those who believe SoW is dead and those who are sure it's going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.
The biggest difference I've seen between IL2's development and that of BoB:SoW is by the time IL2 reached Beta, we knew a considerable amount of what the game was to be. We'd seen screen shots and even videos of ingame action. That really peaked my interest and I'm sure most others. By the time the "unofficial" demo was leaked, I couldn't wait. Again I think it was the same for most of us. But without any of the same type of info about BoB, I get a "so what?" feeling. Hopefully as it get's closer to Beta, Oleg might consider releasing a demo similar to the one for IL2 to ratchet up interest. I'd bet that demo was responsible for more sales of IL2 than all the web sites and magazine articles combined.

MEGILE
12-27-2007, 03:51 AM
Lol Dux why all the drama? you sound like a disenchanted schoolboy b1tch who just got turned down by a chick for the first time in his life.

Oleg has his team on SOW... and if he hasn't spent enough time kissing your a$$.. then so be it.

NEXT!

slipBall
12-27-2007, 04:12 AM
Lol Dux why all the drama? you sound like a disenchanted schoolboy b1tch who just got turned down by a chick for the first time in his life.

Oleg has his team on SOW... and if he hasn't spent enough time kissing your a$$.. then so be it.

NEXT!

That's very unfair of you....he has been turned down his whole life, and has much experience http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif