PDA

View Full Version : Is 'Control Damage' over-modelled?

MB_Avro_UK
06-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi all,

Not sure if this has been discussed before. If so, apologies for wasting your time.

But hits on controls such as rudder and elevator are common in il2.

Was this the case in WW2? I've read quite a few pilot accounts of combat damage and I can't seem to remember specific references to control damage.

Pilot injury and engine damage seemed to have be the main problems.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

DmdSeeker
06-22-2008, 05:19 PM
I've read the combat diary of a P47 squqadron involved in "operation strangle" in Italy.

IIRC there's at least three instances of some one flying back to base on trim alone before bailing over or near to the base.

julian265
06-22-2008, 05:20 PM
In casual reading I've read quite a number of reports involving control loss and damage. But subjectively, it does seem very (overly?) frequent in IL2.

Whilst I think that some planes are a little too susceptible (eg, F4F and aileron loss), I think it is put into perspective by thinking that people's accuracy online is pretty good, and much more fighting is actually happening than would in reality.

Secondly, many real planes that lost controls might not have made it home to tell their story.

Hatter_RAF
06-22-2008, 05:24 PM
On the otherside, is some damage, like undercarriage failure - or with some bomber undercarriage dropping, too rare in IL2?

Lt_Letum
06-22-2008, 05:41 PM
There is a obvious reason why there are few reports of control damage.
The only plane it does happen to much in is the P38, which should have 2 sets of elevator and rudder wires.

ImMoreBetter
06-22-2008, 07:32 PM
One of the problems with loosing your controls is that you can't see it externally. So in order to tell when ones controls have been shot out, the pilot needs to mention it themselves.

Almost all of the combat reports I've read have been B-17's. Most of the time it does not go past "last seen at X altitude and heading Y direction". And unless a story of a crew member in that plane is attached to the report, what exact damage that finished the plane off was unknown. Perhaps it was due to control problems, or perhaps not.

Julian is right, we see a lot of simulated combat in such a short amount of time. I've been shot down many more times than any real pilot I know of, so it's natural that I've lost more control surfaces.

In the end it comes down to how much faith you have in the games damage model. If the things that would knock out control surfaces are modeled correctly, we should see a similar probability, as we would be taking damage to those parts as often as they would be hit.