PDA

View Full Version : Task Force Massacre

Kaleun1961
09-02-2005, 10:22 AM
I got into the anchorage where a task force was moored, to the southwest of Trondheim, in April, 1940. This is possible because of the operations mod as part of Real U-boat mod.

What a massacre! There were three troopships and Fiji class cruiser, sitting at anchor, as well as a number of Tribal class destroyers. I very quietly crept in at persiscope depth. It is very shallow there, so there really is no possibility of going deep to avoid counterattack. With this in mind I torpedoed a destroyer that was anchored near the troopships. After he was sunk, the other ships did not react. I then sank two more destroyers, again no reaction. Then I sank the troopships and cruiser and made my way out on the surface in the early evening light.

Total score: 3 Tribal destroyers, 1 Fiji cruiser and 3 troopships.

While a very nice score, it doesn't seem very plausible how I could leisurely pick them off one at a time without any of the other ships reacting. In a previous career in an attack on the same task force, the first ship I torpedoed was a troopship. Immediately the destroyers began to move and search for me. The other troopships moved off as well. This time around I thought I would take out a destroyer first to lessen the force of the counterattack.

Very strange indeed.

I fired all torpedoes with impact pistols. The weather was wind of 7 MPS, no rain, but dark and cloudy afternoon. I don't trust magnetic pistols in anything but calm waters.

The_Silent_O
09-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Not too unrealistic if they were all under anchor, plus you add the time to get the steam up for propulsion...just look what the Japanese did at Pearl Harbor or the British at Taranto.

realistically they might have had torpedo nets out and small craft patrolling

Kaleun1961
09-02-2005, 10:43 AM
I forgot to mention that after I sank the first destroyer another one seemed to be moving at 2 knots, so perhaps they were trying to build up steam. Your point about the nets and patrol craft is correct. I can't imagine His Majesty's First Sea Lord explaining this one away.

Perhaps this could be included as part of a future mod, or addition to a current mod: Task forces at anchorage should have torpedo nets and smaller patrol craft protecting them, or destroyer patrols at the entrances to the anchorage area, just as ports do. I don't know if this is possible to model.

Modders, is this feasible?

The_Silent_O
09-02-2005, 11:16 AM
...And I'm at Aug of 1943 and I wonder why I haven't had an opportunity like this yet in my career...I visited all the ports...but barren.

Kaleun1961
09-02-2005, 05:00 PM
That's one of the great features of the Real U-boat mod, being able to get involved in historical events, like Weserubung, the invasion of Norway. I'm not sure if it offers any more opportunites like that, as I'm still early in my war career.

Kaleun1961
09-02-2005, 05:01 PM
P.S. I love your avatar and great choice of forum name.

The_Silent_O
09-06-2005, 08:12 AM
As opposed to "The Screaming O" which is something altogether different!