PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me....

Wseivelod
10-01-2004, 02:35 PM
..... or does that Lexington sink too fast when hit with the Betty in the new Kamikaze video?

wuggle85
10-01-2004, 02:54 PM
can u post a link to the new vid

Giganoni
10-01-2004, 04:07 PM
The video is from France Simulation, I made a post about it, should be easy to find. Now Wseivelod do you mean the carrier sinks too fast? As in it should take longer? Or are you asking if a Betty should be able to sink the CV?

IV_JG51_Razor
10-01-2004, 04:13 PM
No, it's not just you. It did sink way too fast, but what are you going to do? In order for it to slip beneath the waves in a more realistic fashion, Oleg would have to program a whole new set of Damage modeling for all of the ships, and we all know that aint gonna happen.

I am rather impressed at the fact that it goes down by the bow, and you can see her screws and rudder sticking out of the water instead of what we're used to in FB where the ships just sink on an even keel.

I guess we'll just have to wait for BoB for that kind of realism.

Obi_Kwiet
10-01-2004, 04:20 PM
Those big ships takes days to go down.

Giganoni
10-01-2004, 04:58 PM
Sometimes they also went down pretty quickly. Here is the thing though. If I'm playing a campaign for either side and I put a bunch of bombs or torps in an enemy carrier I want to know if I had sunk it or not. I don't want to have to fly back to base then some off screen calculation desides days later; "Oh no, sorry you didn't actually do enough damage and you'll see that carrier back in 6 months." That is my feeling on this subject.

VW-IceFire
10-01-2004, 05:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
Those big ships takes days to go down. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sometimes...or they disappear in minutes or seconds leaving almost no trace.

Depends on the damage incurred.

Tater-SW-
10-01-2004, 05:07 PM
That's why "sinking time" should be a mission specific variable, even if just in the text file so we can change it.

tater

Snootles
10-01-2004, 05:11 PM
The British carrier HMS Courageous sank in only 15 minutes after just two torpedo hits.

wuggle85
10-01-2004, 05:41 PM
yeah but in the vidio the carrier started to go down a split second after the betty hit it

ah well im not complanin it looked preety cool the way the back went up kinda reminded me of titanic lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

firehttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gifstarter

Wseivelod
10-04-2004, 10:03 AM
yea, i think it should go down at least after 10 minutes.

Fennec_P
10-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Do you mean the one that crashed into the deck and exploded?

It should not sink at all. Its too bad that PF, like FB, does not differentiate between deck and hull damage.

If the Betty had a bomb, maybe it would do a lot of damage. Maybe start a fire that destroys the ship. But sink in 10 seconds? C'mon.

And it wouldn't be incerdibly hard to band-aid this. Just make the sinking animation longer.

Aztek_Eagle
10-04-2004, 06:12 PM
wasnt it hit by several zeros aswell?

IV_JG51_Razor
10-04-2004, 06:22 PM
Yes, FAW_Spit posted in another forum that there were a couple of hits cut from the movie. So, yes, it was hit several times. The Betty wasn't the sole cause of the sinking.....I hope.

I think that was is so......unrealistic, is the appearence of the carrier just sailing along as if nothing were amiss, and then one hit from the Betty and down she goes. I'm curious to know how the program decides when the ship has had enough. Is it "point" based, or is it the location of the hit and/or the severity of it?

Regardless, it's just not one of the things I can get all worked up over. There's lots of other details I can whine about before getting to the ship's damage model http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Mon Pavion
10-04-2004, 08:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IV_JG51_Razor:
No, it's not just you. It did sink way too fast, but what are you going to do? In order for it to slip beneath the waves in a more realistic fashion, Oleg would have to program a whole new set of Damage modeling for all of the ships, and we all know that aint gonna happen.

I am rather impressed at the fact that it goes down by the bow, and you can see her screws and rudder sticking out of the water instead of what we're used to in FB where the ships just sink on an even keel.

I guess we'll just have to wait for BoB for that kind of realism. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. But you would think that with a game that CENTERS around the war in the Pacific, a war that just happen to CENTER around ship to ship, or plane to ship battles, they would think about at least giving ships SOME kind of damage model. ...Oh well

IV_JG51_Razor
10-04-2004, 08:54 PM
"True. But you would think that with a game that CENTERS around the war in the Pacific, a war that just happen to CENTER around ship to ship, or plane to ship battles, they would think about at least giving ships SOME kind of damage model. ...Oh well"

Well, if this game WAS centered around the war in the Pacific, then maybe Oleg would have thought of that. This game, you'll have to keep in mind, was centered around the war on the Eastern front. PF is just an add-on, albeit a very extensive one, to that game, so I think we need to be a little more patient with our expectations of the details. There's only so much this game engine can do. It is, after all, over three years old.

Mon Pavion
10-04-2004, 11:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IV_JG51_Razor:
"True. But you would think that with a game that CENTERS around the war in the Pacific, a war that just happen to CENTER around ship to ship, or plane to ship battles, they would think about at least giving ships SOME kind of damage model. ...Oh well"

Well, if this game WAS centered around the war in the Pacific, then maybe Oleg would have thought of that. This game, you'll have to keep in mind, was centered around the war on the Eastern front. PF is just an add-on, albeit a very extensive one, to that game, so I think we need to be a little more patient with our expectations of the details. There's only so much this game engine can do. It is, after all, over three years old. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh...well i must have misunderstood. I thought this was an entirely new game, seperate from FB, just with a similar graphics engine. Well anyhow, I dont REALLY mind. I mean the game looks like its gonna be great, it would just be nice to have some sort of damage model on ships, since ships are going to play such a large roll in the game.

Fritzofn
10-04-2004, 11:21 PM
one fact that is somewhat---non? important is that the ships is devided into compartment, and if the door's don't close fast enough, the ship will sink faster.

Titanic sank due to the fact that thet actually DID close off the compartments, but it was too late, when they where closed, water was starting to pour into the ship from the deck, and that made here break underwater.

so u got loads of things to considder, like how big is the wessel, how many compartments is there, and how big is the damadge, and somewhat where the ship is hit, (remembered in U96 when they heard the "back" of the ship break)

GoToAway
10-05-2004, 03:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGeneral_D:
I mean the game looks like its gonna be great, it would just be nice to have some sort of damage model on ships <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>As it has been stated 1,463,620 times, they do. The ship damage model is signifigantly revised over FB's.

falco_cz
10-05-2004, 05:15 AM
No "modern" WWII big ship should be sinkable by bombs (if you don't consider TallBoy sort of bomb), you need torpedoes and lot of them...

Aztek_Eagle
10-07-2004, 08:47 PM
only 1k of the millions that die, it sounds like they were the most importand, so far i feel sorry for every one the same