PDA

View Full Version : JPN Zero flight model questions

Cworth
05-18-2005, 08:06 AM
Quick question..

I have read in books that the JPN Zero was not able to be controlled as well at speeds over 250 due to the flight controls "freezing up" as such at speeds higher than this.Is this modelled in the sim?From my experience it does not seem to be at all.

In all dogfights I have against them nothing I do seems to help.It seems that once one gets on your tail nothing you do will save you.I have tried all the real tactics used in the Pacific against the Zeros but they dont seem to work in this game.I have tried coming down from higher altitude and hit em then continue the dive using my speed to get ahead and then pull into a climb to get high and repeat but they get on my tail and follow me straight up and can keep right up with me speed wise and manuevering no matter how fast I am going.
Any advice would be helpful.Thanks

Cworth
05-18-2005, 08:06 AM
Quick question..

I have read in books that the JPN Zero was not able to be controlled as well at speeds over 250 due to the flight controls "freezing up" as such at speeds higher than this.Is this modelled in the sim?From my experience it does not seem to be at all.

In all dogfights I have against them nothing I do seems to help.It seems that once one gets on your tail nothing you do will save you.I have tried all the real tactics used in the Pacific against the Zeros but they dont seem to work in this game.I have tried coming down from higher altitude and hit em then continue the dive using my speed to get ahead and then pull into a climb to get high and repeat but they get on my tail and follow me straight up and can keep right up with me speed wise and manuevering no matter how fast I am going.
Any advice would be helpful.Thanks

italianofalco
05-18-2005, 09:27 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif really true.. hope this FM will modified with the 4.0 ghost patch TOO.. -fALCO

Blutarski2004
05-18-2005, 09:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cworth:
Quick question..

Any advice would be helpful.Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... Do you make a long extension to separate before zooming?

irR4tiOn4L
05-18-2005, 09:41 AM
have you tried being a Zero? Go against a hellcat and try and win - the **** thing sticks on your 6 and will not get lost! Theres something really really wrong with these AI flight models..

DRAGON_2_GO
05-18-2005, 03:55 PM
Haven't you read Crazy Ivan's thread about the patch? The one deleted by now?
Oleg explained it there: In the currend version(till 3.04)the AI planes use a different FM than the player's. While the players flight will be modelled very accurate, the simplified AI FM will be modelled to be like the player's (and as you can see there are some mistakes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. However patch 4.oo will be using a pre-BOB FM. There the AI will use the same FM so these ufo maneuvers won't be there anymore.

ColoradoBBQ
05-18-2005, 04:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cworth: pull into a climb to get high and repeat but they get on my tail and follow me straight up and can keep right up with me speed wise and manuevering no matter how fast I am going.
Any advice would be helpful.Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should climb at an angle where your speed should be above 400 kph indicated since the Zero's best climbing speed is below 300 kph. Zoom climbs are not effective against Zeros since their better power to weight ratio helps them at low speed climbing.

Frequent_Flyer
05-18-2005, 05:57 PM
In his book Samurai, Saki repeats many times that the "Hellcats" could out dive, climb and were much faster than the Zero.Also, they could maneuver with a zero. The only thing that saved him on a number of occasisions was the fact that he was fighting against obviously "green" pilots because they were poor marksmen. Here's hoping the AI get amended closer tohistorical accounts.

ImpStarDuece
05-19-2005, 06:08 AM
A couple of threads over we have other players claiming that they are unable to outturn Hellcats in their Zero Here we have a case of the opposite. Its almost like people are playing different games sometimes.

Thats the thing about this game, a LOT of it comes down to how well you fly; the style, SA, E management, rudder coordination ect, ect.

If you come in above your target dive in on them at 600kph or greater, continue the dive dive straight through, pull up into a shallow climb, build alt then loop back over the top, initiating the maneuver at above 350 kph indicated then you should have very little problem with Zeros.

HARD_Sarge
05-19-2005, 06:17 AM
in the game vs AI Zeroes, go head on to them, you can get a lot of kills on the first pass, and if not a kill, a Damaged Zeroe can be fought with

and as others have said, they don't use the same FM you have to use, so don't expect them not to be able to do something you can't do

but over all, I have not had that bad a time with them, don't turn and out turn them, also, you don;t always have to get the kill on the firing pass, do enough damage and they will go down

HARD_Sarge

ednavar
05-19-2005, 10:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frequent_Flyer:
In his book Samurai, Saki repeats many times that the "Hellcats" could out dive, climb and were much faster than the Zero.Also, they could maneuver with a zero. The only thing that saved him on a number of occasisions was the fact that he was fighting against obviously "green" pilots because they were poor marksmen. Here's hoping the AI get amended closer tohistorical accounts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We must have read different translation of the same book http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I recall reading how "being green" saved Saburo's life when confronted 1 VS 16 Hellcats and how the Hellcat retained good maneuvrability at high speed.. but claiming that it could maneuver with a zero always is a bit streched out.

S!

E.