PDA

View Full Version : Pony Pilot airshow interview

KIMURA
11-17-2005, 08:03 AM
Don't know if already posted inhere. Below an interesting interview with 2 todays Pony pilots about RL behaviour of either Pony, 109 and Spit.

Pony Pilot interview (http://www.forumtroll.net/movies/EAA_Interviews.wmv)

KIMURA
11-17-2005, 08:03 AM
Don't know if already posted inhere. Below an interesting interview with 2 todays Pony pilots about RL behaviour of either Pony, 109 and Spit.

Pony Pilot interview (http://www.forumtroll.net/movies/EAA_Interviews.wmv)

BGs_Ricky
11-17-2005, 08:14 AM
I've already seen this movie before. When he says that the 109 turns better than the P-51, I guess he's talking about low speed combat (he mentions the slats), and that's correct. A P-51 shouldn't go in a low speed dogfight with a 109, but at higher speeds the Mustang should turn better. Same was for the Tempest as you can read it in Clostermann's "The Big Show", where he states that the Tempest could outurn the 109 above 500 km/h, but at lower speeds the 109 was better.

Viper2005_
11-17-2005, 08:30 AM
Interesting, but lacks the required detail for a fair evaluation.

Firstly, warbirds are flown at unrepresentative weights in civvie street; they've got no operational kit in them. Guns and ammunition are heavy. WWII vintage radios are heavy. Fuel is heavy - I doubt that most civil Mustangs are ever operated with full fuel and the attendant stability problems this entails. Nor are they likley to fly with external stores.

Secondly, warbirds are flown at unrepresentative power settings; you're very unlikely to find a Spitfire IX running at +18 psi on the airshow circuit. Because there is no need for high altitude performance, airshow aircraft almost never use FS gear; and many "Spitfire IXs" have actually been re-engined with XX series Merlins over the years as a cost cutting measure.

To make a reasonably fair performance evaluation we'd need

Aircraft type and mod state
Weight and Balance
Altitude }
Temperature} - for conversion & correction to standard conditions
Humidity }
Engine type and mod state
Fuel used
Power setting
Airscrew type and mod state
Airspeed
"g"

etc...

There's a very big difference between subjective opinion and objective data, and that difference is responsible for ~90% of this board's whine production