PDA

View Full Version : Building new pc, any suggestions?

bernardpb
12-21-2004, 02:08 PM
I'm going to order a new motherbord, processor and case. Looking at 915G chipset/intel LGA 775 and P4 3.2 800mhz FSB.
I'm trying to decide on PC express or AGP.
Is pc express the way to go?
any comments?

BaldieJr
12-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Get the very best you can afford. Do not take advice from people who say "just wait, something better is coming out next month".

Of course something better is coming out. Something better is always coming out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Get the good stuff while you can and forgetaboudit.

oldschool1992
12-21-2004, 03:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bernardpb:
I'm going to order a new motherbord, processor and case. Looking at 915G chipset/intel LGA 775 and P4 3.2 800mhz FSB.
any comments? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go Athlon 64 and pci express

BenvZijl
12-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Athlon 64 and PCI express

ploughman
12-21-2004, 03:48 PM
The Acceleron 764Ghz CT (crypto-temporal) Holographic TD processor with is out in May. It's gonna kick butt, and while a bit expensive, will set the new standard for home pc processors. Wait till then.

Owlsphone
12-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Build around AMD 64 bit not Intel.

And like Baldie said, there will always be something newer/better/faster coming out soon. Instead of waiting you could be enjoying a top of the line system now.

ehangar
12-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Hmmm... 3 ppl recommended the Athlon 64 over Intel. Pray tell why so? What is so special about this chip over the other? I'm also considering upgrading, I have used Intel all the while, but am open to new options. Thanks!

fordfan25
12-21-2004, 06:22 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oldschool1992:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bernardpb:
any comments? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go Athlon 64 and pci express <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

100% in agreement. with pciE you can get a 6600gt for like 140 bucks while in agp there closer to 250 yea same card

stansdds
12-21-2004, 06:23 PM
I am facing the same delima. I am glad that I am waiting until the first of the year since some of the new stuff like PCI Express motherboards for AMD 64 processors will be available. I had actually started looking at building an Intel based machine so I could get in on PCI Express, but I waited and the AMD boards will soon be available.

Something big is coming out in terms of video cards. A dual GPU video card using NVIDIA's 6600 GPU. This is a SLI card that needs only one slot. http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20041216_115811.html

So there are some things on the horizon and they will be here by the first of the year.

Willey
12-21-2004, 08:45 PM
Wait some. It's not just the better HW then, but right now it's the price drop in late jan/early feb. In X-Mas time, HW prices are a lot higher. Especially RAM and graphics cards. I'd go for an A64 '939 with PCI-e then. nForce4 board maybe. And that Gigabyte SLI 2x6600GT card. And 1-2 Gigs of the fastest RAM you can put on your Mobo. That should be top-notch for quite a while. Right now, many things getting outdated technically. It's the 32bit CPUs, the (single) AGP cards, the DDR1 RAMs, non-shader 3 graphics... almost all things take the next big step right now. Usually it's one after another. I'd say you're stuck somehow when buying "oldschool" stuff right now - AGP, 9800/x800, barton, 400' RAMs... - you'd need to up everything later for just one single upgrade.

DDad
12-21-2004, 08:49 PM
As a General Rule I recommend:

Processor- Get 1, or maybe 2 speeds lower than the fastest available. You'll still be plenty fast, or probably can easliy O/C the chip to the fastest. You'll alsoe save several hundred dollars to boot
Motherboard- Do your homework here. You want to find out which is the latest version chipset, latest socket design,etc. Try not to cut corners here- get one that has all the features you could possibly want. Cheaper to buy it before hand, than have to add later, IMO

Memory- Take some of the extra bucks you saved on the processor, by a extra stick or two of quality,fast memory. I'd say 512 mb Minimum

VideoCard- Once again, I'd look for something a step or two from the Top. Personally can't say about PCI Express, suspect its "not quite ready for Prime Time"
Hard Drive- Go with the biggest Serial HD you can- especially if you have broadband cable. Possibly get 2 in a Raid

Thats my general "rule of thumb" And I'd look for a AMD 64 on a Socket 939 board

bernardpb
12-22-2004, 07:26 AM
Thanks for all your inputs. A guy at work sugested 64 also. He said the 64 is much faster then the fastest intel. He didn't think a high end vidio card and 1 gig of memory or more was neccessary, but he's not familiar with IL2.

bernardpb
12-22-2004, 10:10 AM
I don't think I'll will have any problem with getting all the hardware together and installed. That will be easy, but when it comes to starting up and setting up the BIOS, well I've never done it before. I've messed around with pc's abit and I've added hardware and formetted hard drives.
Is setting up a BIOS from start very diffacult? Would I need some help from someone that's done it before?

PF_Coastie
12-22-2004, 10:18 AM
It really shouldnt be difficult at all. To make things a little less painless, try to get a mobo with a mature chipset. Ny that I mean you want to find the mobo you like, go to thier website and see what bios version they are on. If it is say 1.04 for example, you know it has been revised a few times and should be good to go. Also check the edition of the boards. Many Manufacturers will release a new edition of a board if certain bugs could not be sorted with a bios change.

By doing all the above, you may not have to do a thing in the bios unless you are going to overclock or tweak ram timings. All info should be auto detected and set to normal defaults with a mature chipset.

Good Luck!

DDad
12-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Well, in most cases, if you just leave the Bios set to its default settings, its reasonably painless.
Its when you start to do some system optimization or overclocking that it gets into the wierd and arcane stuff (memory latency settings, timings, etc, etc)
LOL, at which point, you will probably become very intimate with your "Clear cmos/bios" jumper....
For the basic build, doubt if you have any problem

Chuck_Older
12-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Stay away from that crummy Win 3.1 OS

Brock.Landers
12-22-2004, 04:12 PM
I was about to do the same but I think I will actually wait a couple of months before spending the cash... I heard something better is around the corner. No, seriously http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

If you want a system for a couple of years or more then you definitely need to buy into PCI-e technology with your next purchase. AGP is on the slide and, for example, ATi's next cards are coming out in PCI-e only. Athlon is a better choice for your machine too, from a bang-for-buck POV you simply get more from them than Intel. So I'd recommend a socket 939 / Athlon 64 / PCI-e mobo to get all of that covered.

The reason I'm waiting a while though is I want to see how the nVidia SLi technology pans out. The concept of buying one graphics card now and then a second later on to double your graphics power and keep up with the pack is appealing but how do you know you'll be able to buy exactly the same card type in a years time? And who wants to deal with the noise of 2 6800's whining away in their case? You'd need ear plugs to save your hearing. Plus, as testers are playing around with dual card set-ups they seem to be finding that the CPU becomes a bottleneck to utilising the extra performance! Unless you run at a huge resolution above 1600x for which I haven't a monitor that can refresh that high.

I know this is coming off a bit anti nVidia but I genuinely have no beef with them. I'm no ATi fanboy I simply side with whoever offers the best product at the time I'm buying and at the moment, despite all the hype, I'm not convinced that that is nVidia with SLi.

mortoma
12-22-2004, 04:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Stay away from that crummy Win 3.1 OS <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly, I am sticking with DOS 5.0 for a while yet.

malkuth
12-22-2004, 05:37 PM
I have a total upgrade coming soon. Maybe in summer.

Im going to get
New Case (old one is getting little worn out)

New DVD Rom (2 of them for can burn)

Love MSI mother Boards good price so I most likely pick up one of the new Nforce 4 boards when they come out.

Update to 1 gig of PC3200 Ram (have 2700 now)

Going to go for the new 939 AMD 64 3200 winchester. By summer should be below 200 bucks.

Wait to see what ATI has in the PCI department. If not Might pick out the BFG 6800GT. Gotta love BFG service. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

GT182
12-22-2004, 06:08 PM
I suggest the Thermaltake XaserIII v1000A(http://www.buyxg.com/store/item.asp?id=109&catID=5) for a case. It might cost more but is well worth the price being a full tower with 7 fans for cooling. Then go with this PSU... OCZ PowerStream 520W power supply(http://www.magnum-pc.com/).

You might spend more going this route, but you won't regret it one bit in the long haul. Put it this way. You buy the best shoes you can to wear and the best tires for your car... so why not the best in a case and PSU. LuckyBoy will tell you the same thing as I just did. Trust us.

I have the v1000A and don't regret it one bit. The OCZ will be next when my 480 Silent Pure Power PSU goes bottoms up.

malkuth
12-22-2004, 06:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GT182:
I suggest the Thermaltake XaserIII v1000A(http://www.buyxg.com/store/item.asp?id=109&catID=5) for a case. It might cost more but is well worth the price being a full tower with 7 fans for cooling. Then go with this PSU... OCZ PowerStream 520W power supply(http://www.magnum-pc.com/).

You might spend more going this route, but you won't regret it one bit in the long haul. Put it this way. You buy the best shoes you can to wear and the best tires for your car... so why not the best in a case and PSU. LuckyBoy will tell you the same thing as I just did. Trust us.

I have the v1000A and don't regret it one bit. The OCZ will be next when my 480 Silent Pure Power PSU goes bottoms up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My case Im using now is a Inwin came with 350 watt power supply its going to be 5 years old in about 3 more months. Been thru 3 upgrades and never had a problem with a PSU. Don't see a reason for a 500 Watt one unless your running Ungodly amount of Hardware.

codeseven7
12-23-2004, 01:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stansdds:
I am facing the same delima. I am glad that I am waiting until the first of the year since some of the new stuff like PCI Express motherboards for AMD 64 processors will be available. I had actually started looking at building an Intel based machine so I could get in on PCI Express, but I waited and the AMD boards will soon be available.

Something big is coming out in terms of video cards. A dual GPU video card using NVIDIA's 6600 GPU. This is a SLI card that needs only one slot. http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20041216_115811.html

So there are some things on the horizon and they will be here by the first of the year. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That Gigabyte 3D1/GA-K8NXP-SLI combo looks awesome. It's all there, Athlon AMD64 support, SLI, Nforce4, Duel GPU, DDR3 ect., ect. and at a good price, probably the route I'm gonna go.

bernardpb
12-23-2004, 09:36 AM
I'm going for the AMD 64, 939 motherboard, PCIe.
Can I trust Nvidea with the PCIe? I've used Nvidea with AGP, but I have no feedback from antbody using PCIe. I don't want to by a motherboard without PCI at this stage.
Has anybody used PCI express Nvidea board? I saw online the 6600 256mb PCIe. I thought I might go with that because of the differance in cost over 6800.
Thanks again for all the advice.
Merry Christmas

disco1970
12-23-2004, 11:10 AM
hey,

try these guys, I love em'. They have some great deals!

www.krex.com (http://www.krex.com)

Good luck.

Waldo.Pepper
12-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Beige!

Make sure it is beige.

I've got a beige one and it is great.

malkuth
12-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Actually Newegg.com I think is one best places to buy from. Great Customer Service and great pricing.

The only thing about PCI Express (dont confuse with PSIE) is that nothing will really use that much bandwith. PSI Express has Double the Bandwith of 8X AGP. And even today with modern graphics cards going from 4X AGP to 8X AGP shows hardly any results. So basically going to PSI Express should be a good idea for the future.. Dont expect to pay 100 extra bucks for a PSI video card and have it be faster then its AGP counterpart.

Tomshardware were I get most of my PC info. Great Site. Also PCmechanic is another good site.