PDA

View Full Version : Got my butt handed to me by an armed trawler (sp?)

citycowboy
05-02-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm on my 5th patrol and it is Jan 40'. I'm in my VIII-B SW of Bristol heading to my designated patrol grid (BF48 I think).

I spent the night charging my batteries and loading the external torpedoes into my main storage down below. The night was uneventful and by time morning came I was feeling a bit **** despite being so close to the shores of England.

Anyhow, I'm just minding my *OWN* business when this quite rude British warplane drops a bomb right on my conn tower! My hall dropped to 45% and I was getting damage reports coming in from all over my boat. There was some serious flooding in the bow crew quarters and some moderate flooding the bow torpedo room. Afraid the plane was going to come back for a second run at me I gave the order to go to periscope depth.

I reach 12m and immediately assign a damage control team to the bow crew quarters. I look over at my depth gauge and I noticed the number was increasing! 14m, 18m, 20m.... The water was quickly filling the bow crew quarters and bow torpedo room. I could hear the screams of my men through my sub as they desperately tried to stabilize the situation... I ordered my men to focus their attention in the crew quarters as the flooding there was the most serious. Despite the best efforts of my repair crew I was still taking on water.

With fear taking grip I barked the command over the subs intercom system for all non-essential hands to get to bow crew quarters and assist the repair team. With the repair team full and a full set of hand in bow crew quarters I was able to get ontop of the situation.... Just when I thought I had things under control I hear this loud screech and resulting God-awful bang as my sub hit the ocean floor at 65m. Needless to say this took me and my crew by surprise and gave us all the more motivation to work more efficiently.

We finally we able to get the flooding in both the crew quarters and torpedo room under control. I assigned repairs teams through out my ship to repair misc damage and get the engines running again. After getting the sub in running condition I take a quick head count. Amazingly all hands were accounted for and unhurt! I ordered the men to surface to the boat to make some finishing touch-up repairs on the conn tower, flak gun, and deck dun.

No sooner did we surface was there two armed trawler eagerly awaiting us. Surprised as I hadnt seen them before I quickly order my crew to man the gun and engage the enemy.

After a long and valiant fight I found my sub sinking once more with major damage all over. With hull integrity down to under 15% I felt we wouldnt be surviving another 60m ocean floor hit. In desperation I ordered my men to blow the ballasts but it was too late. My hall started to come apart and it wasnt long before the ocean water imploded upon my loyal and brave crew members.

It was a glorious end to a really FUBAR day http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Skarphol
05-03-2005, 01:39 AM
It's nice to see sub-commanders display such calm and firm leadership during difficult and dangerous situations. I tried to pass between Dover and Calais 23rd of December 1939 last night, and figured that I would see any RN vessels in time, so i went in on the surface. Immideately I was attack by a fast torpedoboat, and had to dive with some damage to my flak-gun.
Soon after, a DD, an armed trawler and 2 torpedoboats were searching for me, and I lost my nerve completely, running around in our bedroom, nervously biting my nails while my crew slowly led us out of the situation.
If my boat had taken any serious damage or been depthcharged, I think I would have wet my pants..

Skarphol

W.Irving
05-03-2005, 02:14 AM
Captains, if your boat is flooding, the last thing you'd want to do is dive! I hoped you could've figured that out by yourselves. Stay on the surface, mend the leaks and any damage the periscopes have sustained, THEN go to periscope and slip away.

Also, if your ship is diving uncontrollably, blow ballast right away. Several times. With your hull integrity down to a mere 45%, striking the ocean floor at 65mts is more than enough to kill you.

Going through the channel isn't as difficult as it would sound. Just stay on the surface until your WO reports an enemy contact, then perhaps you could consider diving.
The torpedo boat is a joke. The little cannons they have would only dent your tower and result in four minutes worth of mending time. Four AP shells, and you're rid of it. Just go to flank speed, make sure you'renot recharging the batteries, and keep the boat in such a position to the PT that the gun crew can fire on it. OR just do it yourself. Great fun promised! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Skarphol
05-03-2005, 02:26 AM
Well, those fast torpedoboats aren't there just to annoy us sub-commanders! When I first got word of this ship I took a look at it in my binoculars, and the captain of the boat was a brit with a very grim and determined look on his face. Then my focus shifted to the four torpedoes attached to the quick little vessel, and after doing some calculation on his speed, about 30 knots, my speed, about 9 knots, and the fact that he by now was harrassing my lookouts with machinegunfire, I decided to submerge as quick as possible. I think my sub would be a very easy prey for those torpedoes.

Why should I make sure I wasn't recharging the batteries? I wasn't by the way. And is it a way to stop recharging them, once the batteries are less than 100% recharged?

Skarphol

W.Irving
05-03-2005, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Skarphol:
Well, those fast torpedoboats aren't there just to annoy us sub-commanders!

That is exactly what the PT's are there for! To annoy us! And kill our precious flak gunners (so don't man the flak guns while there are PT's in the vicinity!).
No AI controlled ship uses their torpedoes - not the destroyers, not the cruisers, not the battleships, nor the PT's. Which is a shame, IMHO.
The only armament the PT's have been blessed with are the three little automatic cannons. There is no chance they can sink an even severely damaged submarine. But they have radios, and will call on destroyers and armed trawlers.

You should not recharge the batteries when you need the extra speed, as when you do so, a whole engine is dedicated to the task (thus, not doing what it SHOULD do, which is to drive its propeller).
Click on the CE icon, choose Propulsion, and click on the propeller to stop recharging the cells.

Skarphol
05-03-2005, 03:07 AM
Really? No enemy torpedoes? That's a shame! I guess those PT's won't be that cocky the next time I'll surface in the channel..
But what about Swordfish'es and Avengers? No torpedoes on those either?

Anyway, thanks for the tips, you've been helpful several times!

Skarphol

W.Irving
05-03-2005, 03:26 AM
It's a torpedo free world.
I suppose only our own homing torpedoes could oppose a threat to our subs.

alanschu
05-03-2005, 03:30 AM
Am I the only person sadden that this dude's experience of the game has been blemished by you telling him that torpedo boats don't fire torpedos?

He was playing the game realistically until you told him that he didn't have to worry http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

jmikkelsen
05-03-2005, 03:41 AM
I for one didnt know that the PT boats dont fire torpedoes. my first encounter with one there was no time to dive as it was coming towards me at full speed in a fog my crew spotted it at 1500 meters, so i took a chance and manned the deck gun and killed the f***** and have been doing that ever since. they are to easy to kill, same as the DD's are to easy to evade when you are submerged >130 meters. playing at 85% realism.

W.Irving
05-03-2005, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by alanschu:
Am I the only person sadden that this dude's experience of the game has been blemished by you telling him that torpedo boats don't fire torpedos?

He was playing the game realistically until you told him that he didn't have to worry http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I lost my nerve completely, running around in our bedroom, nervously biting my nails while my crew slowly led us out of the situation.

Haha... you may have a point there! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Skarphol
05-03-2005, 04:08 AM
Well, some of the excitment is maybe gone with this new info, but on the other hand is it more fun to shoot up gunboats than to sneak away for long periodes. A mixture of the two activities is definitively the best.

Skarphol

mightyduck100
05-03-2005, 05:55 AM
Fighting the un-torpedo boats is cool though. Love chasing them and getting a good shot with the deck gun. It sucks when they radio in DD's and you have to dive though.

I had a Hurricane drop a bomb plum on the nose of my type VIIB north of Cornwall in '41.
Lost 2 sailors who had sneaked into the bow torpedo room for a joint, got 2 of the watch crew wounded and the hull dropped to 45%. The bow planes were damaged and tubes 1-4 were destroyed.
It took about 45mins to get the flooding under control and then repair the bow planes. During this time I couldn't dive. It was a nightmare dodging the planes until the bow planes were fixed.
I had to max out the watch crew and every time I saw a ship had to give it a wide berth and hope he didn't see me. I could run but not hide. Managed to get away with it though, somebody up there must still like me.

Cut my losses and limped back to port after that. Still had 8 torps left but no good tubes...was gutted.

W.Irving
05-03-2005, 06:20 AM
Shouldn't it be possible to dive without using the dive planes though?
You can achieve buoyancy by blowing the ballast tanks - surely it should work the other way as well, flooding the tanks.

con20or
05-03-2005, 06:32 AM
does it help to have crew in the compartment that is flooding?i was flooding yesterday,and took all the crew OUT of the compartment in case they drowned. well the flooding got worse,and they drowned anyway,but that doesnt prove anything!!

citycowboy
05-04-2005, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by W.Irving:
Captains, if your boat is flooding, the last thing you'd want to do is dive... Also, if your ship is diving uncontrollably, blow ballast right away. Several times. With your hull integrity down to a mere 45%, striking the ocean floor at 65mts is more than enough to kill you.
My reason for diving was I didnt want any more planes dropping bombs on me. Every time one plane has spotted me I'm usually harassed the rest of the day from additional planes.
Luckily, with 45% hall damage and moderate damage to many of my systems I survived the crash to the bottom of the ocean floor.
Furthermore, if I was to have stayed on the surface there is no doubt the armed trawlers would have finished me off.

]Going through the channel isn't as difficult as it would sound. Just stay on the surface until your WO reports an enemy contact, then perhaps you could consider diving.
I've made several trips through the channel now and besides the annoyance of constantly having to avoid destoyers , armed trawlers, and combat planes it isnt hard... However, as in the case of my previous experience with a bomb being dropped on my conn tower, I was traveling on the surface, in the morning, at 256 compression. My WO didnt inform me of a danger until the bomb hit.

The torpedo boat is a joke. The little cannons they have would only dent your tower and result in four minutes worth of mending time. Four AP shells, and you're rid of it.
I've sunk a few torpedo boats myself with my deck guns with little to no damage. However, the ARMED TRAWLER isnt that dinky little torpedo boat with nearly zero offensive capabilities!
I had my crew target one Armed Trawler for atleast two mins with no result. I then took over manually, made a few direct hits with my HE rounds before my boat was just too damaged to continue.

W.Irving
05-04-2005, 06:07 AM
Aha! There were armed trawlers around too. You should've said so then.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Still, periscope depth is sufficient for avoiding the planes.

citycowboy
05-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by W.Irving:
Aha! There were armed trawlers around too. You should've said so then.. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Still, periscope depth is sufficient for avoiding the planes.

You musta skipped a lot of parts in my post http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

In my title I said I got my butt kicked by two armed trawlers and I mentioned it again the main story towards the end! I also mentioned that when I got hit by the first bomber I ordered periscope depth... Because of the flooding I ended up sinking to the bottom on the ocean http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

The whole ordeal was actually the best time I had in the game so far... The way it all went down it seemed like it was almost scripted from a movie screen!

citycowboy
05-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by con20or:
does it help to have crew in the compartment that is flooding?

That is an affirmative.