PDA

View Full Version : Range

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 09:22 PM
What is the "real" range of 37mm cannon in game? I have hit the same plane 2 or 3 times at ranges of 400M, Not much happened. Up close one solid shot, and the same type plane goes down. I have convergence set at 200, tried more and less. Didn't seem to matter. The game must have a "line" where the thing stops working well. Does anyone know what it is?

XyZspineZyX
08-31-2003, 09:22 PM
What is the "real" range of 37mm cannon in game? I have hit the same plane 2 or 3 times at ranges of 400M, Not much happened. Up close one solid shot, and the same type plane goes down. I have convergence set at 200, tried more and less. Didn't seem to matter. The game must have a "line" where the thing stops working well. Does anyone know what it is?

XyZspineZyX
09-01-2003, 12:31 AM
It depends on which 37mm you are talking about. The gun in the p39 is an american 37mm gun with a lower ROF than the NS37 in the Yak9T and the LaGG3IT.

For the P39, one round in 2 is an AP, which will damage any critical area of the plane that you hit, but will pass through a wing without doing much damage. The other round in the mix is a HE, which will do more structural damage, and for which range is not important. Sometimes you'll be lucky and your round will hit a fuel tank, or an important part of the airframe, and will destroy the plane in one hit, but sometimes you will score 3 or 4 hits before it goes down - it depends.

The NS37 is more effective, but is still better if you can hit the target with a burst, rather than a single shell.

The 37mm guns in the Stuka G fire AP rounds, which are for use against armoured vehicles. Does okay against planes anyway though.

There is no "line" where it stops working well. Sometimes it'll do the job in one go, sometimes it won't.