PDA

View Full Version : Four Red (Ping/Net )Bars of Death?

ytareh
11-17-2009, 02:31 PM
OK so those net speed/ping bars ,green, yellow and red...when I see the four red ones I know I WILL be kicked from a server about 30 seconds later ...is there ANYTHING to save yourself from this ?Ive tried plugging power and connection cbles out of router etc ...no joy not surprisingly.

doraemil
11-17-2009, 02:55 PM
I think people need more details to narrow down the problem,

Such as do you connect and its green and it trickles down to red?

Whats your rated upload / download speed? Are you connecting through a router (with other PC's playing IL-2)? Or running downloads (from M4T) on the side?

Do all servers on HL show up as red bars or not?

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Sounds like an ISP issue. What does www.speedtest.net (http://www.speedtest.net) show?

ytareh
11-18-2009, 02:01 PM
9pm -so definitely fairly 'peak' usage time.(I have seen actual download speeds of 2.2meg which is a far cry from the low double or even single kilobyte speeds in the early days of IL2)

Ping 18ms
Down 15.11 meg (rated at 20)
Up 1.15 meg (rated at 1.5?)

Typically see ingame pings of 40-60ms /1-2 green bars ...
Connecting through a router which I fear may be the issue ...

Just wondering if once you see the 4 red bars permanently theres nothing you can do...

Urufu_Shinjiro
11-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Yeah, once the red bars show up you're pretty well rogered.

TinyTim
11-18-2009, 07:33 PM
When you see three or four red bars, you might already been kicked. Since your computer can't connect to the server again in next 10 or 20 seconds, it then displays a message about a kick.

Are you using WinXP with a wireless connection? Then a Wireless Zero Configuration might be the problem. You find it via command prompt -> type in: services -> scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration -> right-click -> properties -> change from auto to off (given you are already succsessfully connected to a network). It's a stupid utility that is searching for other wireless networks despite you already being connected to one - which causes inconvenient lags and kicks during online playing.

Troll2k
11-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Most of the time all red bars(in HL) means the server is behind a router and has external ping request turned off.

Ping is the time it takes your packets to reach a server.There is not much you can do to speed it up.It is more dependent on the route the packets take to the server.