PDA

View Full Version : prop pitch

kid_SA
12-13-2007, 03:08 AM
how much of a boost does the manual use of prop pitch give in a 109 or 190? Is it worth learning, or does the "auto" feature do a good enough job?

KIMURA
12-13-2007, 03:19 AM
Both birds used the Kommandogerät for optimal RL settings, so the pilot had to set the needed power and there was no further pilot action needed for further settings. The Kommandogerät in PF is somewhat of screwed up and especially the FW190 suffers of that. For normal use I would suggest to use the auto setting of the Kommandogerät, whereas in case of an emergency power need I switch to manual pitch.

OMK_Hand
12-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Hi Kid_SA

It could be my imagination, but doesn't the FW190 generally feel much crisper when using manual rpm? Offering solid manoeuvring and giving faster acceleration out of manoeuvres?

Certainly, the A4 feels like it's capable of sustaining a much tighter turn using 1.32 ata and 2400 'manual' than in whatever rpm one gets in 'auto'.

Manual rpm stays fairly constant in a tight turn, whereas in 'auto' it rapidly slows by maybe 200 rpm, more if it's a climbing turn.

Maybe this introduces a degree of instability into the turn through changes in torque?

I dunno, but it feels loads safer in manual when it comes to throwing the thing around, and it could turn forever.

The stall is definitely easier to predict when the rpm isn't rapidly changing all the time during an otherwise smooth manoeuvre.

JG53Frankyboy
12-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by kid_SA:
how much of a boost does the manual use of prop pitch give in a 109 or 190? Is it worth learning, or does the "auto" feature do a good enough job?

fly the 109s only in auto mode - there is no benefit of using manual mode anymore and the risk of damaging the engine is to high.

on march i fly the BMW driven Fw190s always in auto - but in combat always in manual.
a BWM driven Fw190 in manual mode behaves like all other planes with a ConstantSpeedPropeller in game.......

kid_SA
12-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Thank you! I had no idea that the manual FW190 used a CSP-ish system.

Which 190s have a BMW engine?

Thanks again. Very helpful. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

OMK_Hand
12-20-2007, 10:45 AM
The FW190 'A' models all have BMW 801 radial motors.

The FW190 'D' models have Jumo in-line motors.

K_Freddie
12-24-2007, 01:12 PM
In both planes, at the top of your turn, you can use manual PP to keep the revs up in the power band, and also prevent the engine torque from spinning the plane.

With the engine revs in the power band, on your way down you reduce the PP and as the revs climb to high, hit auto-PP. This will max your speed through the top turn and exit.

Requires a bit of practice to get it right. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif