PDA

View Full Version : Refueling in GWX

Chief_W_Mueller
06-26-2007, 08:26 AM
U98 is on it's 17th patrol. This is the first patrol with GWX and I've already written how I'm blown away with it. Great job. I'm also using SH3 Commander.

My patrol grid out of Brest is AJ61. There also was a u-tanker half way there. So I docked with it to refuel. Well, GWX ends that patrol and begins a new one with a new torpedo loadout and full diesel tanks. My grid is NULL.

The thing that bothers me most is that I lost a month on my calender. I docked with the u-tanker at the end of August 1942 and undocked from the u-tanker in early October 1942.

Now for my question. Is there a way I can alter the config files somehow so that I can fill my tanks with diesel but not get new torpedoes, not lose my mission grid assignment, not start a new patrol, and not lose a month off of my calender? Then I can load that save and 'pretend' to dock with the u-tanker.

Thanks and GOOD HUNTING!!!

VikingGrandad
06-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Good question...

The U-tankers (milk cows) and other supply ships were added to the game by creating friendly ports and disguising them as a U-boat or ship. Unfortunately this means that they behave in the same way as friendly ports too, hence the 'stay' in base and re-arming your boat (whether you want it or not).

When you dock at a 'proper' friendly port other than your home port, the patrol grid is set to NULL (a known bug/feature) so unfortunately, the same thing happens with a U-tanker or supply ship.

I don't think there is anything you can do about these side-effects - they're limitations of the milk cow / supply ship mod included in GWX.

I look at this as a positive thing, as we are lucky that someone figured out how to mod these features into the game at all http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sorry I'm not really helping you here, but I thought it was worth explaining why you've got those problems.

danurve
06-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Just adding two cents;
You can use commander to manual adjust days in port, the most convenient and easiest way. There is a days in port line in the basic.cfg you can edit to but commander is the way to go.

I don't belive there is anything you can do about the diesel, I wish there was too. I believe historicaly cows would typicaly provide enough fuel to return to base, could be wrong on that.

Now you can use Wolfies Tweek Pack to change your torpedo layout and change or edit what your loadout is.

VikingGrandad
06-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by danurve:
Just adding two cents;
You can use commander to manual adjust days in port, the most convenient and easiest way.

Good suggestion Danurve, I forgot SH Commander could do that http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

I've not tried Wolfies tweak pack, but that sounds like a good solution for Chief_W_Mueller's queries too.

Originally posted by danurve:
I believe historicaly cows would typicaly provide enough fuel to return to base, could be wrong on that.

From what I've read, BdU would instruct the Milk Cow to give a U-boat the fuel required to meet its next objective, whether it be returning to port or sailing to a new patrol area (taking into account the needs of other U-boats in the area).

Chief_W_Mueller
06-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks to both VikingGrandad and danurve for your great suggestions. I forgot also about the number of days in port option for SH3 Commander. I have now changed that to 0 to facilitate resupplying in the same day.

I also just downloaded Wolfies Tweek Pack but I am not seeing how you can set any reserve tubes to 0. (When I arrived at the u-tanker I had already spent 5 torpedoes so I would like to try to use the Tweek Pack to remove the torpedoes that the u-tanker gave me). Any info on this will be greatly appreciated.

These two changes, though, will make refueling alot more realistic. With the exception of losing my tonnage for the first half of the patrol, unless you have a suggestion on a work-around.

Anxiously awaiting your reply.

Thanks and GOOD HUNTING ! ! !

danurve
06-26-2007, 02:42 PM
From what I've read, BdU would instruct the Milk Cow to give a U-boat the fuel required to meet its next objective, whether it be returning to port or sailing to a new patrol area (taking into account the needs of other U-boats in the area).

VG; appriciate that info. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif That makes more sence.

Chief_W_Mueller; If you have a look at the readme in the tweek d/l there should be some additional instructions on a "TweekSubCheat". I forget why the author set it up this way but that should let you "simulate" removing some of the loadout.

I am puzzled about the tonnage you say you lost. I will check but I don't remember loosing any tonnage from resupply/friendly bases. "dock at wherever" and the log clearly shows the tonnage breakdown, medals & jazz. I don't use GWX but I don't think it would take tonnage from you for not being at home port.

Chief_W_Mueller
06-26-2007, 03:12 PM
danurve, thanks for the 'cheat' info. Interesting on how I might have to use a 'cheat' so as not to 'cheat.'

I tried altering the short-cut as he says but windows is not allowing it because the target then becomes a different name. Puzzling why he suggests doing it this way.

As far as the tonnage I lost, because the u-tanker in GWX is treated as a port, it ended my patrol 17 once I docked with the u-tanker and started patrol 18 once I loaded and continued. That is why I 'lost' the tonnage. I guess I didn't really, but when I check the log for patrol 18 it doesn't include the tonnage for patrol 17 (which - in it's way of thinking makes sense). I want to essentially remove the tonnage from patrol 17 and put it into patrol 18. Can I do that? This way, after docking with the milch cow, SH3 Commander will have not advanced the days in port, Tweek will remove the new torpedoes I shouldn't have received, and patrol 18 (which is really the 2nd half of patrol 17) will show the tonnage I sank earlier before docking with the milch cow.

What do you think/suggest?

Thanks and GOOD HUNTING ! ! !