PDA

View Full Version : Worst software (sim, too!) choice I have ever made

XyZspineZyX
10-09-2007, 05:00 PM
I bought Armed Assault (ArmA:Combat Operations). I love OFP, and I knew that ArmA was an updated OFP

What I didn't know is that it was a *worse* OFP

Now, there are three sims I still have and enjoy that are benchmarks for me:

the Il2 series
Grand Prix Legends
Operation Flashpoint

ArmA looks like OFP with better graphics, has better sounds, has the same editor and basic structure.

But that also means the same annoying "stop and then continue walking" routines at some elevation changes, and the inexplicable switch from jogging to walking on a 10* incline. Also, the bizarre situation in which you can't crouch on a steep hill. FPS games and sims have eliminated these issues by 2007...or other ones have at least

You CAN swim now, but at the same time you can't enter every vehicle you see, or at least I cannot, and the same 'not-quite American English' from OFP perseveres

The AI is infuriating...at 'novice' level, the enemy AI can spot you without NV aids at night, from 200m off, and bulls-eye you on the first shot, while at the same time your friendly AI can't hit water when shooting off a boat...and BOTH sides will run right by each other without firing a shot...on both sides, snipers run into a field, ahead of everyone else, and then immediately get targetted, as they should be. The enemy snipers are quite safe unless I spot them before they can target me, while my snipers die inglorious deaths moments after contact witht he enemy is made

Commanding the AI? You're sometimes ignored...tell them to cease fire all you like, they keep firing...an AI team leader will tell you to engage an enemy 500m away, and then continually yell at you to fall back into formation when you creep to the top of the hill you're behind to see if you can FIND the guy 500m way, because you can't see through the hillside...enemies in "safe' mode apparently do not respond to their friends being killed 1m away from them, until the hit another waypoint and their behavior state changes...friendlies stand up, take their potshots, expose themselves and get mowed down..while enemy AI in armored vehicles will not continue engaging your squadmates even though they are in range and the target is not obscured

I have purchased a better looking mod for OFP, with poor AI and little in the way of game play improvements

Very disappointed in ArmA.

bigbossmalone
10-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the headsup, BBB - I've been eyeing this for a few months already, also being a fan of OFP, and have heard varying reports.
Seems the 'newer' crowd like it, while the old hands aren't all that taken with it. As I fall into the latter category, I'll probably give it a miss, until I can get a copy for next-to-nothing 'bargain basement' prices, maybe.

XyZspineZyX
10-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Maybe the community can address the issues?

It's s slick package, no doubt, and online play must be great, eliminating the AI foibles

So far I see no info on any patch that says these things are addresed

My advice is: keep your eye on it, it may become worthwhile

HuninMunin
10-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Well I for one am an OFP vet who thinks Armed Assault is great.

I can understand your complaints about the AI, but this will go away sometime in the future, either through official patching or the community.
But the AI's degree of cleverness also depends alot on the mission design in my experience.
In general the AI is damn smart, it's just that the game design kind of blocks the players view onto the big picture.

As for the vehicles - there is not a single vehicle in Armed Assault unaccesable to the player.
You have probably played a mission and encountered a vehicle wich was locked by the mission designer.

As for the comparsion between the old and new incarnation of OFP - It's strange that the whole community seems to have forgotten how bugged and unfinished a game the original OFP was.
It took years and the great Resistance to make it the "round" experience OFP now is.
For that matter, Armed Assault is lightyears ahead of OFP when it first hit the shelfs.

Therefore I only wholeheartly agree when you say to "hang in there".
Armed Assault has good chances to become greater then OFP ever was.

PS
You are running 1.08, right?

SeaFireLIV
10-09-2007, 06:00 PM
I think it`s pretty good. It`s main fault to me is that controlling AI with commands is quite complex...

BrotherVoodoo
10-09-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm an old OFP guy myself and have had ARMA since it was released in the US. Yes there are still some bugs to be worked out. They do seem to be releasing patches, albeit slowly, so keep your eyes open. The current version is 1.08 and that patch was released in June. It does take awhile for a good sim to ripen it seems. For now I do enjoy the improved graphics and new "living" environment but what really kicks this game in for me is the trackir support which adds a whole other immersion level. I fade in and out of interest for ARMA. Until it's a little more polished I don't expect that to change. I will say though If I am in a FPS mood, ARMA is what I play.

willyvic
10-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Also an OFP fan. Have binders full of missions I've built. Resistance was the cake and the community improvements were the icing in that series.

I have not taken the plunge into Arma yet. But will eventually get around to it.

WV

Bo_Nidle
10-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Don't give up on ARMA. I had much the same views as yourself initially however the 1.08 patch has done a lot to cure some of the ills. The AI sharpshooters have been sorted out quite well now and will often miss. The AI is also pretty good at using tactics too.

Its not perfect but it can still suck you in. I still think its battle depictions are very good.Especially at simulating the confusion that goes with infantry combat.

The tank combat is good too. The helicopters require a bit of work but the planes should be junked as playable as they fly incredibly badly.

Theres a huge amount of add-ons ( I particulary recommend the FDF sound mod, "NewView" third person view mod and ARMAeffects mod) and some good sites too. I use these two a lot:

www.armedassault.info (http://www.armedassault.info)

www.armaholic.com (http://www.armaholic.com)

It is a resource hungry game (I have a +3800 cpu oc'ed to +4300, 2 Ghz RAM and an 8800GTX 320mb card and still get slow down in thick forest!)It can be infuriating at times but it does repay careful thought out tactics rather than the charge and shoot scripted "tunnel" layout of most other shooters. Much as I enjoy CoD 1 & 2, Rainbow Six series, Ghost Recon series et al, they do tend to restrict your movements and thus limit your tactics.

ARMA is still a little rough around the edges and could be argued that it was released too soon but its still a decent combat simulator. Stay with it.

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks Bo

smokincrater
10-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Sorry guys this OT http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gif But can you give me some links to GPL sites mod sites?