PDA

View Full Version : Messerschmitt in real video

jugent
06-03-2005, 01:56 PM
I watched the DVD-video "The ultimate history of the Messerschmitt"
The video shows lots of old and new movies about many sorts of Willys masterpieces.
One thing about the 109 is that it seems to lift its tail very fast, after some seconds the tailwheel is airborne.
Time to correct this in the game I think.
There where many other interesting things in the video, the merlin died if the spit was flown in negative G:s etc etc.
Nice video I recomend it

Deedsundone
06-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Press brakes while taking off to lift tail faster.

VW-IceFire
06-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by jugent:
I watched the DVD-video "The ultimate history of the Messerschmitt"
The video shows lots of old and new movies about many sorts of Willys masterpieces.
One thing about the 109 is that it seems to lift its tail very fast, after some seconds the tailwheel is airborne.
Time to correct this in the game I think.
There where many other interesting things in the video, the merlin died if the spit was flown in negative G:s etc etc.
Nice video I recomend it
The tail does rise fairly quickly on the Bf.109. You need to give it a bit of eleavtor or a bit of brakes to jump it up. But then it just lifts right off the field...very nice.

Only early Spitfires had trouble with negative G's. Mostly Mark I and Mark II. Most Mark V's were fitted with measures to prevent negative G cutout and anything later than the early Mark V's were more than capable of the average negative G manuever. It was not recommended to fly many planes in prolonged periods of negative G (I doubt even the 109 had that luxury).

darkhorizon11
06-03-2005, 09:36 PM
An inverted oil system (ball check system) and fuel injectors instead of carbuerators allow sustained inverted flight (although I believe some carbs can operate inverted.

Their actually relatively simple systems. I couldn't have been too big of a redesign to make these aircraft capable of sustained inverted flight.

jugent
06-04-2005, 02:04 AM
I have seen late spits suffer of the carburator system. While rolling it was feed from more than one fuel-level-controll-device and leaft black trails of exhaust smoke and the rpm fell while this happend.

Cajun76
06-04-2005, 03:38 AM
Messer are also supposed to pour black smoke from the exhausts when the throttle is jammed forward. Fooled more than one Allied pilot into thinking thay had damaged a 109 when that happaned.

Also, the Messer only pushed into neg G long enough to roll over and dive away. This worked quite well until heavier, more powerful fighters arrived like the P-47.

jamesdietz
06-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Where can I order this???

NonWonderDog
06-04-2005, 12:28 PM
There are people so concerned with getting the tail off the gound that they use the brakes on takeoff?

4.0 is going to be fun. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif