PDA

View Full Version : Resolution Balance

gothkrieger
05-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Ok, I am told that at higher resolution the planes and stuff are so pretty but as a result itís hard to see them at a distance, especially against terrain etc. The opposite is supposed to be true, low resolution means you can see them better at a distance but details up close are so poor that its hard to make out what kind of plane it is at times because the detail is not there. So what is the balance resolution, that I can see the planes fairly well at a distance and against terrain and can make out what they are up close. I am using a CRT monitor, 19 inch I believe.
Thanks

Stiletto-
05-10-2011, 01:22 AM
The issue with higher resolutions is that when planes are at a certain distance far away, they are displayed as single pixels. The higher the resolution the smaller these pixels are so depending on your display size and picture quality it can be much harder to spot bogeys.

The resolution the game was designed to use original which displays other planes at distance well is whatever horizontal resolution by 768, so if 4:3 monitor that would be 1024x768 or 1280x768 for a widescreen display

M_Gunz
05-10-2011, 04:16 AM
The LOD's are bigger than a pixel and at times just bother me, but it was worse on my old-old videocard and crt.

I got 1440x900 flat panel since. More native pixels make a bigger screen, not smaller pixels. I need bigger LCD!

thefruitbat
05-10-2011, 11:53 AM
there are lots of people that complain about dots and run at a lower resolution.

Bugger that, i run as high as i can, which is my monitors native res of 1920*1200.

I don't really have much trouble spotting dots, and the game looks much better at that res.

I can live with the few times i might not see a dot and get bounced, for the much better eye candy, plus the game deals with LODs much better the higher the res you go, and from 2km in don't have issues with disappearing wings and crap like that, that you can get at lower res (spitfires spring to mind).

gothkrieger
05-10-2011, 11:59 AM
What does "LOD" stand for?

gothkrieger
05-10-2011, 12:01 PM
My difficulty is losing site of aircraft at a distance against terrain or water backgrounds and trying to tweak settings to help the situation some.

M_Gunz
05-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by gothkrieger:
What does "LOD" stand for?

I forget the tech-term but it might as well mean Little Old Drawing. On screen for midrange between Dot range and 3D render range you see little images. From what Fruitbat wrote, using higher res might result in better LOD images which could help tremendously in judging distances and speeds beyond gun range.

M_Gunz
05-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by gothkrieger:
My difficulty is losing site of aircraft at a distance against terrain or water backgrounds and trying to tweak settings to help the situation some.

I got a term for that too: Romulan Cloaking Device, good around 500m to 300m from the cloaked plane. While I watched, many times at 1024x768. Also it only works when the plane matches the background which can be total. Attacking from slightly below will keep the sucker in view. I don't remember having that problem with my newer videocard and monitor but maybe it's because I avoid situations where it happens? I took to flying with limited icons because of The Cloak and haven't switched since.

Lurch1962
05-26-2011, 08:35 PM
'LOD' means 'level of detail.' Objects in-game are made with several models of differing complexity, the one displayed depending on distance and zoom level. I find a good illustration of plane LOD switching is found for the Me-109s. Starting from nearby, as the plane moves into the distance, a point is reached where the next level down LOD suddenly 'switches' and one notes--in addition to the simpler representation--the rather wider planform of the wing (when seen as high aspect, of course.)

If in a maneuvering fight with a 109, as it crosses the particular LOD distance threshold, alernately getting nearer and farther, this LOD switching becomes not only noticeable, but annoying to me. That's because the LOD settings were chosen as appropriate for the lower 1024X768 resolutions used in ye olde days. At the higher resolutions we all use now, the LOD distance thresholds should have been set farther, accordingly. Actually, the best way to handle them would be based in a dynamic manner based on the current resolution, in conjunction with the FOV setting, of course.