PDA

View Full Version : freelook + newview

zignome
03-20-2007, 09:19 PM
I would have done a search but it seems to be down...

I'm trying to tweak my freelook setup. I've read mention about NVtoMouse but I can't find any documentation on it. I found a version on the cam2pan site but I don't understand what it is supposed to do. I load it up and nothing seems to happen. The cam2pan site doesn't give much explanation on the whole newview setup.

As far as I can tell NVtoMouse is supposed to do something with setting up the response curve within the newview helmet tab. I'm just unsure how to use it. Any info on any of the newview settings would be helpful. So far I've just been manually tweaking the response curve and various other things trying to find a good setting.

Inadaze
03-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi Zignome

I don't bother with NV to mouse, I've only once ever got it working properly and then didn't find it much use.

For newView I use the soft preset configuration in the helmet tab.

What problems are you having with freelook? And could you post the details of your freelook.cfg and freelook game profile? I'll have a look and see if I can see anything that might help.

zignome
03-21-2007, 11:12 AM
I think my freelook settings are pretty good. One problem I did have was trying to turn the deadzone off which caused problems where the "cursor" would get stuck in a void or something. So I put the deadzone at 1.

This is my freelook profile ( I run IL2 at 1280x960):

# Freelook Profile
mode = BOX

# deadzone in camera pixels
deadzonex = 1
deadzoney = 1
deadzone_speed = 0.04
softzone = 0
soften = 0

sensitivity = 2.5

maxx = 1280
maxyup = 900
maxydown = 300

xscale = 0.75
yscale = 1.2

# WARNING: the following variables are best defined from

within the application

stick = 0
stick_button_enable = 100
stick_button_reset = 1

key_enable = 123
key_reset = 76

# controls how long (ms) the reset key will be held for
# if set to 0, key won't be pressed.
key_reset_wait = 0

And my freelook.cfg:

# Freelook Configuration file

# video input device to use (default 0)
camera = 0

# camera threshold
thresh = 253

# frames per second (too high can cause malfunction)
fps = 35

# default tracking mode
trackingmode = 2

# smoothing
smoothing = 12.875

# size limits for marker exclusion
marker_minsize = 4
marker_maxsize = 300

# Controls how long (in frames) a button must be held down
# for it to become a hold-to-use
button_count = 10

selected_profile = tims.fl

But like I said, I think freelook is working fine. I can look around fine with newview helmet mode off but I don't get the improved view. So now I'm just trying to tweak newview to give a nice smooth view, it feels a bit jumpy right now.

Maybe you can clear up some of the newview settings for me. Things I'm unsure what they do are:

- Threshold
- K1, K2, K3
- Difference between deadzones(standard, floating, divider on curve)

Also what the difference in response curves. Is soft more responsive or less. I'm just really not sure exactly what the curve is doing.

Any clarifications would be great. Also if you have any other things to add that I didn't mention.

Thanks for any help.

Inadaze
03-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by zignome:
Maybe you can clear up some of the newview settings for me. Things I'm unsure what they do are:

- Threshold
- K1, K2, K3
- Difference between deadzones(standard, floating, divider on curve)

Also what the difference in response curves. Is soft more responsive or less. I'm just really not sure exactly what the curve is doing.

Any clarifications would be great. Also if you have any other things to add that I didn't mention.

Thanks for any help.

The best descriptions I can find for these settings is this from Airwarfare.com http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_newview.htm (it's just over halfway down the page) They call the response curves reaction curves and it doesn't say what the deadzone does either... -
-----
Taken from Airwarfare-

The controls on this panel will let you define another physical joystick to use solely for controlling your POV. The primary X/Y axis of the chosen Device No will act as a form of analogue POV hat. As mentioned, this section is probably most useful for people with a gamepad featuring an analogue joystick on it.

To enable UrGear helmet emulation, select the "Helmet Present" checkbox. You must now select a device number to use as a UrGear helmet emulator. Only the primary X/Y axis on your chosen device will emulate UrGear head movement.

Smoothing Level controls the amount of smoothing applied to joystick movements for UrGear emulation. Select a higher number to make the view panning smoother.

Threshold and K1/K2/K3 controls the maximum extent of view movement obtainable. Too high a number may make your POV move too far around the cockpit at the maximum stick deflection and result in your viewpoint getting "stuck" in a corner. Too low a number will result in not being able to move your view to the rear sides of the cockpit. You will need to experiment to find an appropriate value for your particular preference.

X/Y Axis Speed Quotient controls the speed of movement from your UrGear helmet device.

Presets and the Reaction Curve at the top of the screen act in conjuction with the X/Y Speed Quotient setting. These work in exactly the same manner as the stick sensitivity settings inside Forgotten Battles. If you find that you are getting too much viewpoint movement from small stick movements, set the reaction curve numbers to lower numbers.

-------

I can't see anything in your config that would really help smoothing things out, You could try setting the frames per second higher in the freelook config, I have mine set at 44, my camera gets about 45 frames per second with it's exposure turned right down, but I don't think it will do much if your camera doesn't get that many fps and could perhaps make things jerkier, but worth a try - (Using cam2pan is a good way to find what FPS your camera is getting even if you don't use it)

fps = 35

You can get a bit more panning by changing the
maxx = 1280 Change to 1440
maxyup = 900
maxydown = 300 Change to 400

It lets you see over your shoulder and look down a bit more, I tried your config with those setting on my computer and the recentering was fine with them at 1280x960 (It looks like the Threshold and K1/K2/K3 controls in newview might be able to do the same thing, but I've never used them...)

I've no idea about the deadzone problem with setting it to zero, I tried it and had the same trouble...

I hope some of that might help a bit

- Inadaze

Inadaze
03-21-2007, 02:45 PM
I did some extra searching around and found a thread on the sukhoi russaian avia forum here - http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=9991&page=1...B%E9+%EE%E1%E7%EE%F0 (http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=9991&page=117&highlight=%ED%EE%E2%FB%E9+%EE%E1%E7%EE%F0)

It has allot of newview/freelook info, but obviously most of it is in Russian so you'd have to get a translator program.

A guy called Oleg_TR on there also posts on the freelook forum and really seems to know his stuff. He has posted helmet config settings (in Russian again unfortunately) http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=57881 and he also posted a copy of freelook with the settings he uses.

I've had a look and set up newview the way he recommends (I think) in the helmet settings and tried it with his freelook settings. He has the sensitivity mega high for my taste, but other than that it seems a good set up, fast to pan around, good for checking cockpit instruments and looking straight out the gunsight again, it allows you to look properly behind without restrictions. I'm pretty impressed with his settings, all I had to do was turn the sensitivity down and set up my joystick and camera. I thought I'd managed good set of settings before, but I think I'm gonna use his a basis from now on.

I've set up the newview helmet settings as here -

http://www.acedsl.co.uk/~andytully/newviewhelmet.jpg

His Freelook config -
# Freelook Configuration file

# video input device to use (default 0)
camera = 0

# camera threshold
thresh = 95

fps = 35

# default tracking mode
trackingmode = 1

# smoothing
smoothing = 4.75

# size limits for marker exclusion
marker_minsize = 4
marker_maxsize = 300

# Controls how long (in frames) a button must be held down
# for it to become a hold-to-use
button_count = 10

selected_profile = il2.fl
-------------------------------
And his Freelook Profile is-

# Freelook Profile
mode = BOX

# deadzone in camera pixels
deadzonex = 6
deadzoney = 3
deadzone_speed = 0.04
softzone = 0.392157
soften = 1.86275

sensitivity = 3.98

maxx = 1340
maxyup = 800
maxydown = 400

xscale = 0.75
yscale = 1.8

# WARNING: the following variables are best defined from within the application

stick = 0
stick_button_enable = 6
stick_button_reset = 5

key_enable = 145
key_reset = 106

# controls how long (ms) the reset key will be held for
# if set to 0, key won't be pressed.
key_reset_wait = 0

--------------------------------------

I've put all this onto my webspace HERE (http://www.acedsl.co.uk/%7Eandytully/FREELOOK.zip) in a zip file including Freelook, Newview version 37d (which seems to be about the most uptodate I can find), and a copy if the helmet settings jpg, for anyone who's interested.

zignome
03-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Wow you really did your homework. My research had led me to a russian site but I had trouble translating and finding anything. Actually took me three days to get registered since it required admin authorization. I'm gonna test out what you have posted and see how it goes. Will report back. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

zignome
03-21-2007, 05:41 PM
One other question. What kind of keys/buttons do you use with newview. So far I've only set up a center view and enable helmet mode keys. Just looking for things to try.

Inadaze
03-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi,
I haven't set up any keys in newview. I map a button in freelook to the joystick to enable and disable it and another to recenter (Which I bind to the recenter view in Il2 as well).

You can bind stuff in newview to make it automatically pan and look in certain directions then return, but so far I've never bothered, http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif mainly because I don't really know what I'm doing...

VMF-214_HaVoK
03-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Before I finally got TIR4 I used FB view plus for years. It allows your hat switch to act as a mouse and you get very smooth and constant panning. It also allows you to increase and decrease the speed at which it does so. Its very effective and a must have in my opinion if you dont own TIR. Very simple to use and can be found here (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_viewplus.htm)

zignome
03-22-2007, 10:12 AM
well I gave it a good run last night. These seem to be pretty good settings. I also had to tweak the sensitivity a bit. The one thing that bugs me is when you look away from forward it has a little jerk where it starts to move away then jerks back and then moves away fine. I think this is due to the double deadzone, one in freelook and one in newview. I think I may try without the deadzone in newview since freelook doesn't work properly without it. Do you also have this problem?

Inadaze
03-22-2007, 10:51 AM
yeah, it does that for me as well, I think it's just the way deadzone is in freelook, I'll have a play with some settings later and see if I can do anything about it as well.

zignome
03-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Hey man, any luck improving your setup? I tried tinkering with the deadzone but no luck.

Inadaze
03-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Hi Zignome,

Nope, I've just been using the profile as it is with it's sensitivity turned down a bit. I couldn't find much about the deadzone thing because freelook has so little documentation and info on newview is mainly in russian. If I get time I'll have a look at getting it run with no deadzone for ya. I've always used deadzone so I'm kinda used to it.

Off the top of my head, have u tried adjusting the deadzone speed in the freelook profile? I think that might adjust how fast the view snaps back when you are in the deadzone, I might be wrong, but it could be worth a try...