PDA

View Full Version : AA guns: which are most effective? how realistic the modelling?

drose01
03-11-2005, 06:22 PM
(Although I am a little afraid to ask a "stupid question", I'll ask anyway)

Playing some online server games, some Blue team bases have an ungodly brutal land based AA gun that spits a nearly continuous stream of quite accurate and deadly ordinance. When these guns are clustered around an airfield or other target, the effect is devestating.

What are these guns, and is this a realistic approximation of their effectiveness?

They never seem to run out of ammo and seem capable of continuous fire.

drose01
03-11-2005, 06:22 PM
(Although I am a little afraid to ask a "stupid question", I'll ask anyway)

Playing some online server games, some Blue team bases have an ungodly brutal land based AA gun that spits a nearly continuous stream of quite accurate and deadly ordinance. When these guns are clustered around an airfield or other target, the effect is devestating.

What are these guns, and is this a realistic approximation of their effectiveness?

They never seem to run out of ammo and seem capable of continuous fire.

Badsight.
03-11-2005, 06:34 PM
AAA in FB are all manned by superman himself

have to be to keep the ammo flowing

but their is one German AAA tank called the Wirblewind , & it fires just the way you described

nearly all map makers with any common sense leave it out for online play

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What are these guns, and is this a realistic approximation of their effectiveness? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>ship AAA has to be less than realistic for online to keep FPS up , but yea , tanks scoring hits on 250+ Km/H A/C , come on ! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

SnapdLikeAMutha
03-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Not just common sense, there's also the fact that only about 100 were ever made

ClnlSandersLite
03-12-2005, 03:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Not just common sense, there's also the fact that only about 100 were ever made <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That doesn't matter so much. Only about 10% of the things built went to the west front, the other 90% going to the east front. Still, remember janes wwii fighters? You'd encounter 2+ of them every **** ground attack mission you flew. If that's any indication, you'd destroy every whirblewind ever built in the first half of it's campaign.

Maj_Death
03-12-2005, 01:03 PM
There are several super AAA guns, the Wirblewind and M-16 are the best of them. Most mission builders leave them out to make the game playable if nothing else. Those two guns suck up an enourmous amount of CPU power when they fire. The ZSU-37 and a hungarian tracked AAA gun (forgot name) are also very lethal but that comes from their extended range rather than RoF. The 40mm Bofor's is also unusually deadly, once again do to its extended range. The 20mm and 25mm flaks are dead even as are the 88mm and 85mm.

A good setup for an online DF server is 6x20/25mm light flaks and 9x88/85mm heavy flaks. This will keep the vultures at bay but still allow coordinated attack runs on the enemy base. It is also not too hard on peoples PC's or net connections because the rates of fire are relatively low.

WOLFMondo
03-12-2005, 06:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drose01:

They never seem to run out of ammo and seem capable of continuous fire. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From reading about how AA really was I've not seen a mission, either co-op or DF that really represents it correctly. Pilots described German flak air bases as a 'wall' and the accuracy very good.

NorrisMcWhirter
03-12-2005, 06:28 PM
^ Yep...Clostermann described attacks on LW air bases as particularly hazardous. Of course, some aircraft are more susceptible(!) than others to damage and this must be considered when attacking an airfield.

Norris

Jagdgeschwader2
03-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Darn! With all the complaints about AA guns I guess I'll halt development on my FuhrerShutz Z-16. Oh well.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/lots_of_barrels-4_800x600.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jagdgeschwader2s.jpg

F19_Ob
03-13-2005, 02:45 AM
Yep...20mm German AA should do the job.
It took out many fighters.
There were several configurations but multibarreled was most fearsome. They were exeptional against light grountargets and vehicles aswell.
Just think about the high rate of fire by single 20mm cannon in the 109 or 4 in the fw190 wich is really heavy.

Flying straight at or away from 20mm AA enables good hitting opportunity for it since no deflection is needed. To fly level past an AA is also bad so its better to descend a little.

The best way to attack AA is by curved, descending approach so the gun must move and calculate deflection wich is much harder with the vertical element added.