PDA

View Full Version : X-52 or not HELP NEEDED!!!

Potatodip
01-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Im flying the ms FF2 X-45 combo, but the X-45 is cinda getting "tired" is the X-52 worth the money...where i live the CH stick is 40$ more and then i still have to get a throtle...so i hoped someone here could tell me if the "starwars" X-52 is any good...please help...cant fly before i get a new stick and throtle...

S! all

Akronnick
01-23-2005, 09:25 AM
If the throttle on your X-45 still works, you can keep using that and get the CH fighterstick. It goes for about $115US on Amazon

Chivas
01-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Alot of people love them some hate em. Its a love hate relationship for me. Right now its boxed up and sitting in a dark corner until it starts behaving itself.
Give it a go, but keep your receipt. You may get one without to big a deadzone.

marcocomparato
01-23-2005, 03:36 PM
chivas u need to run a different kind of joy config for that X-52 than an older kind of stick like CH or TM.

start your response curve at a bout 60 or higher to see how much MORE resolution there is in this stick than any before it. u wont even care about the spring ever again.

ROLL: 64 66 68 71 74 77 81 85 91 100
PITCH: 70 72 75 78 81 85 88 92 95 100
YAW: 59 61 62 65 67 71 73 77 81 88

actually, i think the X-52 is the first stick to realistically reflect the response range accurately EVER.

Potatodip
01-23-2005, 03:39 PM
well im deffently without a stick now...my msff2 just died...so wedensday i will go buy the X-52 and hopefully it will satesfy my needs.....tx for the responces

Wilburnator
01-23-2005, 03:52 PM
I got one and absolutely hated it, until I messed around with the axis settings in the config.ini. I had a perfectly good X36 that I loved and had used for years but I saw the X52 with yet another slider, a scroll wheel, and several more programmable buttons and I had to have it. When I tried to use it, I could barely fly, let alone fight, because it was so much more sensitive than the old stick. Even tiny inputs brought on the buffeting that precedes a stall, and combat was contant spin recovery. No fun, so back went the X36. Then one day I figured out exactly which x,y,z settings in my config.ini were my pitch, roll, and yaw (I have alot of controllers plugged into my machine, and FB sees them all). I edited these, toning it waaay down. Now I love it. I even programmed the little thumb slider on the throttle into banded mode and assigned all the fields of view to it, so I can zoom in or out in battle as I please in a very smooth and easy fashion. Let me tell you, this is pretty sweet feature http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

BTW... I don't know about this deadzone issue some people are having. I guess I was lucky, mine seems to have zero deadzone. The stick seems remarkably precise.

Bolt40
01-23-2005, 06:28 PM
I won't trade my X52 for nothin..it was worth the dinero imo , as far as deadzone or freeplay in pitch or roll..I took my sliders 100 all the way across...perfect..you get used to it and mapping those buttons & switches to different tasks make it alot easier & more fun to fly. the rudder twist does me justice , so cancel the extra $100 for rudder pedals..dont need em.

Chivas
01-23-2005, 08:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marcocomparato:
chivas u need to run a different kind of joy config for that X-52 than an older kind of stick like CH or TM.

start your response curve at a bout 60 or higher to see how much MORE resolution there is in this stick than any before it. u wont even care about the spring ever again.

ROLL: 64 66 68 71 74 77 81 85 91 100
PITCH: 70 72 75 78 81 85 88 92 95 100
YAW: 59 61 62 65 67 71 73 77 81 88

actually, i think the X-52 is the first stick to realistically reflect the response range accurately EVER. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been struggling with the X52 since it first came out in early November {I think}. I've used almost every combination of settings {Saitek settings and game input settings} including versions of yours. I had over 1" deadzone on each axis that wasn't equal on each side of the axis {1/2"-1"}. I was able to fix the lopesided deadzone by opening the stick and centering the Hall sensors. But with the long throw of the stick plus the deadzone it was still unusable for targeting. Although the stick felt great for regular flying.

I finally unplugged the stick and went back to my MSPP2 joystick in combo with the Saitek throttle but my accuracy in FB still left alot to be desired.

Finally I unplugged the throttle and went back to my Cougar throttle and MSPP2 stick combo. My accuracy even on difficult deflection shots came back instantly. Why would the throttle affect accuracy? Its not like I'm pumping the throttle or trim back and forth while shooting.

When I feel like beating my head against the wall again I will reinstall the Saitek and test.

Potatodip
01-27-2005, 08:13 AM
Got it...like it alot, anyone knows some decent settings. I get a werry gentle responce and the sudently its like it go all the way... (stall)

kiddknapp59
01-27-2005, 09:42 AM
One thing rarely mentioned about the X52 or the X45 is longevity. They don€t have any. If you don€t mind buying a new one yearly or more often, then that shouldn€t be a problem. If you use it a lot, and are even a little heavy handed, it won€t last. You get exactly what you pay for. Cheap price=cheap construction. Fortunately the low price makes frequent replacement less painful, but ultimately if you pay more upfront, you get a lot more mileage for your money. I am on my second X45; it€s about a month old and it already feels less than brand new. Of course there is always some break in. But sooner rather than later you will notice your throttle won€t hit 100% anymore and the stick will feel sloppy. I€m a big guy and tend to be hard on everything, so your mileage may vary.

dgaggi
01-27-2005, 10:23 AM
I had an X-45 for about 2 days and took it back and went back to my Microsoft sidewinder(which i've had for years). I didn't care for the rudders on the throtles. I saw the X-52 was a twist stick and thought that I would give it a try. I really like the stick. It seems they've taken everything that I hated about the X-45 and made it better in the 52. With the X-45 you needed a huge hand and 12" fingers. The 52 has everything reachable or an ajustment so you can get comfortable. Do I think it was worth it? Yes in my opinion.

GSNei
01-27-2005, 10:45 AM
I have both X-45 and X-52. At first I didn't like the X-52. I never used the programming software for the X-45 just button substitution. For that there are actually more accessable buttons on the X-45 throttle. The X-52 software, I found, is very easy to use so that's what I'm running. I like the X-52, a couple of things though. You definitely want to heed what some threads here are saying about editing the response curves. Also, for me, the spring is WAY to soft. I gotta figure out how to replace it with a stiffer spring. I use pedals so the stick rudder is locked.

Chivas
01-27-2005, 11:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GSNei:
I have both X-45 and X-52. At first I didn't like the X-52. I never used the programming software for the X-45 just button substitution. For that there are actually more accessable buttons on the X-45 throttle. The X-52 software, I found, is very easy to use so that's what I'm running. I like the X-52, a couple of things though. You definitely want to heed what some threads here are saying about editing the response curves. Also, for me, the spring is WAY to soft. I gotta figure out how to replace it with a stiffer spring. I use pedals so the stick rudder is locked. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can increase the spring tenstion by sliding in a spacer at the top of the spring. I cut out the center of a 1/4" thick 1 3/8" diameter stiff felt table leg cushion.(you can use whatevers handy. Pull down the spring slip it around the stick shaft. It helped alot.

Chivas
01-27-2005, 11:44 AM
GSNei
I had my stick apart to see how easy it was to shorten the shaft. It is possible to change the spring by taking the handle apart. I would recommend using your X45 spring.

GSNei
01-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanx - Ill give that a try - I wrapped the spring in some rubber from a tire patch kit which helped but not enough. Personally i wish they would have just used the X-45 spring, I like it better.

GSNei
01-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Sorry - I was responding to your' first post. You took the handle apart? Dude that's gutsy, the wiring and buttons didn't spill out all over the place? Elaborate please!

Chivas
01-27-2005, 12:11 PM
Pay attention while taking it apart. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Theres alot more to it than the MS sticks. Its packed solid with parts but if I remember correctly you can take apart the rotary assembly then unpin the shaft. I can't remember if the wiring was socketed or soldered in the handle but you may be able to turn the spring over the wiring.(similar to putting a key and key ring). Anyway I was able to take it apart and put it back together, even with my failing memory http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I even cut 3/4" out of the middle of the handle to help shorten the throw, lol. I could take another 1/2" out of the shaft but that for another project when all my other sticks are unrepairable and I'm forced into it.

GSNei
01-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Chivas
Thanx I'll give the "spacer" idea a try first but I'm tempted. It sounds like you're pretty good in a machine shop (I'm not). You're not one of those Cougar re-bulders by any cance? I actually asked someone at Saitek support about pulling the handle - they thought I was crazy and just told me it would void the warranty. the worst I could do is break it.

Chivas
01-27-2005, 12:38 PM
The cougar moders are able to machine their parts. I just like to tinker.

Atomic_Marten
01-27-2005, 01:25 PM
Guys with X-45s please help me out -- I have purchased X-45 today and the throttle won't go above 87% in game (in control panel settings throttle red bar won't go over approx.3/4)

Is there a way to calibrate it maybe?

kiddknapp59
01-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Exchange it.

FlakMagnent
01-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Hey guys! Im still waiting on mine. If any of you dont want theirs, drop me a line. I will probalby take it off your hands.