PDA

View Full Version : 6DOF

blakduk
02-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I was full of praise for the TrackIR when i first purchased it- it transformed my experience of the game. I was excited by the chance to use the full 6DOF in the game but had to console myself with the knowledge that this will never be supported in the IL2 series.
Fortunately for me the price of BOBII-WOV crashed and i purchased copy for $5AUD (it does sadden me though that a combat flight sim should fall in price so quickly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif). I patched it up to 2.05 as i have heard so much about its instability. The main reason i purchased it was to play with the 6DOF it supports. After a couple of weeks- what a disapointment 6DOF is!
(I wont try and compare the games in detail except to say i appreciate Il2 even more now)
I found the experience of 6DOF quite taxing- you have to be so much more careful with your posture, small head bobs really effect accuracy when lining up a kill resulting in my tightening my shoulders ever more until i start cramping.
I ended up tweaking the profile of the TrackIR so much that i barely use it much beyond the 2DOF that i have become accustomed to in Il2.
Maybe my expectations were too high.
I have to say that returning to Il2 with its limit of 2DOF is something of a relief.

BTW- is it just me or does BOBII feel too much like a MS product?

blakduk
02-08-2007, 07:25 PM
I was full of praise for the TrackIR when i first purchased it- it transformed my experience of the game. I was excited by the chance to use the full 6DOF in the game but had to console myself with the knowledge that this will never be supported in the IL2 series.
Fortunately for me the price of BOBII-WOV crashed and i purchased copy for $5AUD (it does sadden me though that a combat flight sim should fall in price so quickly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif). I patched it up to 2.05 as i have heard so much about its instability. The main reason i purchased it was to play with the 6DOF it supports. After a couple of weeks- what a disapointment 6DOF is!
(I wont try and compare the games in detail except to say i appreciate Il2 even more now)
I found the experience of 6DOF quite taxing- you have to be so much more careful with your posture, small head bobs really effect accuracy when lining up a kill resulting in my tightening my shoulders ever more until i start cramping.
I ended up tweaking the profile of the TrackIR so much that i barely use it much beyond the 2DOF that i have become accustomed to in Il2.
Maybe my expectations were too high.
I have to say that returning to Il2 with its limit of 2DOF is something of a relief.

BTW- is it just me or does BOBII feel too much like a MS product?

sukebeboy
02-08-2007, 07:33 PM
You know you can edit the BOBII profile with the Track IR program right? Failing that, you can also edit the BOBII conf.ini file to get it to a state where you like it.

I love the 6DOF in BOBII. IL2 cockpits feel cramped and constrained in comparison.

My only beef with the BOBII cockpits and TrackIR is that the gunsight on the Spit and the Bf-110 do not line up properly when you press the "Lock view to gunsight" button.

SeaVee
02-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Blakduk,

Did you see this thread when you tried TIR in 6DOF with BoB2:

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6524

PriK
02-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Your expectations weren't too high, your patience is just too low. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

6DOF is everything you wanted it to be but you have to get a handle on your initial frustration and get to work customizing a profile for your own particular nuances. The defaults imho, as a beta tester for them, are way too sensitive and result in the effects you are feeling using it.

Go through the tutorial in my sig to get familiar with how the profiles affect in-game play and your head movement. Right off the bat judging from your post you will probably need a decent deadzone in most axes. There should be a link to my profile in there somewhere but you can PM me if you like and I'll send it to you. Even still it's good to know how to tweak it yourself to the point where it just works naturally for your own particular habits and comfort zone.

Believe me you'll be breathing a sigh of relief that you didn't give up and stick to 2DOF.

Good luck!

leitmotiv
02-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Ye cats man, I was just using 6 DOF with AlphaSim's F-105D (FS9) and I am able to look over the top of my ejector seat, or around the sides to get some idea of what is behind me. With the non-6 DOF F-105 in WINGS OVER VIETNAM, I am completey blind to the rear, as I am using the Maddox I-16s. 6 DOF is revolutionizing the combat flight sim. You are finally "seeing" realistically.

SeaVee
02-10-2007, 04:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sukebeboy:

My only beef with the BOBII cockpits and TrackIR is that the gunsight on the Spit and the Bf-110 do not line up properly when you press the "Lock view to gunsight" button. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is being worked on for one of the upcoming patches.