PDA

View Full Version : 'Sticks and stones...'

Dawnfang
05-29-2007, 05:45 AM
Hey all,

While watching the Ubidays trailer I noticed this soldier throwing a rock or brick towards Altair while he was riding his horse. Eventhough I find this rather rude, it made me think; are all objects in AC operational? Like for instance, in the new Splinter Cell one can throw chairs and computers towards the enemie, will this also be possible in AC?

Please don't flame me if this is already asked before.

Phreaky_McGeek
05-29-2007, 05:48 AM
I highly doubt it, Ubi made a big deal of it when they announced that they'd have this in Conviction, I doubt they'd do the same in AC without telling anyone.

trojanfoe
05-29-2007, 05:56 AM
It's a good idea though. How many films have you seen where someone gets killed by some household or ordinary object close to hand, because the killer has lost his/her original weapon. I think it would be an excellent addition.

marinius
05-29-2007, 06:02 AM
It mightn't be too bad an idea, but I agree that with all the fuzz about this feature in Conviction it would be very surprising if Ubi put it in AC as well, without really announcing it. Ms Raymond has for instance been eager enough to talk about the freedom Altair will have when it comes to grabbing on to anything that might possibly be used to climb and scale stuff. And I also doubt that this feature would be the "big secret" that's gonna be announced at E3, July 12.

steveo1991_sj
05-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Phreaky_McGeek:
I highly doubt it, Ubi made a big deal of it when they announced that they'd have this in Conviction, I doubt they'd do the same in AC without telling anyone.

thats a good assumption but if you think about it they haven't told us almost anything about game play besides the climbing of walls and obsticles and such so maybe they're keeping that under wraps until e3 or something

Dawnfang
05-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Okay, so maybe we can't use chairs or other tools as a weapon, but throwing rocks should be possible right? After all, in the Ubidays trailer one can see a soldier throwing a rock...would be a bit unfair, if not unrealistic, if Altair doesn't covern this 'rock-throwing' skill in my opinion.

First-Endever
05-29-2007, 11:38 AM
It should be in the game, it would be a pretty good idea, I like it. But thats just way too much to add to the game, especially at this point in time, I am sure they might add some sort of system to where you can pick almost anything up, later in the trilogy of the game of course, but it probably won't be rocks!

Dawnfang
05-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Er... I don't know if people have noticed it, but as I said before 'in the Ubidays trailer a soldier throws a rock at Altair, thus leading to the conclusion that 1) this will be something they will do more than once, and 2) Altair himself may possibly be also capable of throwing rocks...

First-Endever
05-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Well then you obviously do not realize that the public was throwing rocks (which I knew) at Altair. Just because someone else can do something, does not mean you can do it to. Look at Altair, he can Parkour, can the guards? I think not.
Basically it is scripted to show that the public has some sort of offense, because they obviously realize they would not be able to come close to Altair.

Think about it, it is just ill-logical, why would he need to throw rocks anyways?

chewie1890
05-29-2007, 11:59 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif Agreed.

sladevi
05-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by First-Endever:
Look at Altair, he can Parkour, can the guards? I think not.

Actually some of the guards can follow Altair across the rooftops almost as fast as Altair moves, they just can't climb.

But I agree that I don't think Altair will be able to throw rocks. A master assassin doesn't need to do something so inelegant as throwing rocks =)

Dawnfang
05-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Why soldiers can't perform parkour isn't the same as wondering why Altair can't throw rocks. Both skills are completely different: everyone can throw rocks, but only a trained man can perform parkour. Besides that, in the Ubiday trailer it are not the civilians who throw rocks, but it's clearly a soldier who throws a rock. Why? Maybe he lost his sword. However, why he did it is not the question here. The question is whether we (Altair) can do the same. I for one can't see why not; in many games one can throw rocks or cans for instance to distract the enemy. Throwing a rock towards an enemy will be a great new feature in combat if you ask me... especially if you haven't got time or the oppertunity to grab your sword.

SO, in short, eventhough soldiers probably can't do parkour, this doesn't automaticly mean Altair can't do the things they can.

rubent1981
05-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Well, throwing a rock may seem to come in handy but then, what would be faster ? picking up a rock from the ground or quickly draw a throwing knife instead ? I don't see why Altair should be able to throw rocks if you have throwing daggers, they are far more lethal and faster if you ask me.

Dawnfang
05-29-2007, 02:07 PM
True, I for one wouldn't use rocks...after all, it isn't like we live in the middle ages right... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BUT, it would be cool if we COULD. Or, for that matter, use other environmental tools.

First-Endever
05-29-2007, 02:11 PM
@ Dawnfang

It's an example, to state a basic point, things that make the game, the game.

Now, I am done talking about things like this. I would rather talk about something we can all agree on or talk about with any sort of conflict, such as speculations, or ideas, instead of questioning or stating how the game should be.

Lhorkan
05-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Why would Ubi put all cool features in one game if they could spread it over several games? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

Dergos
05-29-2007, 02:41 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif that's the way of ubi merchandising

rubent1981
05-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Oroginally posted by: Dawnfang

True, I for one wouldn't use rocks...after all, it isn't like we live in the middle ages right...

BUT, it would be cool if we COULD. Or, for that matter, use other environmental tools.

Yes ofcourse it would be cool if you could use... how did you say that ? "Environmental tools" i'm only saying its not practical http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Phreaky_McGeek
05-29-2007, 03:38 PM
I doubt we'll see the use of enviromental weapons when most players will use a perfectly good sword or crossbow.

Pepedou
05-29-2007, 04:13 PM
I think it would be great to throw someone an apple stolen just seconds before to a merchant in the streets http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

sladevi
05-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by First-Endever:
Now, I am done talking about things like this. I would rather talk about something we can all agree on or talk about with any sort of conflict, such as speculations, or ideas, instead of questioning or stating how the game should be.
It may be time to leave this forum then =)

Back on topic, there are tons and tons of things that would be fun or interesting or maybe add to the immersion or reality factors, but if it's not very useful, if most players probably won't do it, then it may just be a waste of time for the developers. They probably want to spend their time working on more important things, things like sword fighting that far more people will use far more often than rock throwing. That's why I'm guessing they won't include it.

Rock throwing for guards on the other hand, is useful as they can't climb, so instead of watching helplessly as Altair taunts them from the wall of a building (assuming they don't all have bows, which would be kind of weird), they can throw rocks at him to try to knock him off.

First-Endever
05-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Well said sladevi, I guess I couldn't resist giving you a compliment on your post.. dang.

bobbylucifer1
05-29-2007, 05:14 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif