PDA

View Full Version : Enemy aircraft kills symbols

wstreaker
03-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Now that I've installed FB+AEP+PF, I only get a red star for enemy aircraft kills. When I had PF installed standalone it was the rising sun emblem. Shouldn't the symbols be displayed by what nationallity you shot down ? Is this a bug, or do I not have something set right ?

Atomic_Marten
03-26-2005, 06:57 PM
If you fly for instance Spit in BoB, you should paint swastikas on yer fuselage (number depends on how many of them (enemy ac) you shot down -- when you reach ten enemy ac shot down you can paint small Hitler's head instead -- it's practical and takes less space).

But some of AF like Soviet VVS were painting red stars to point out their number of kills. Some of axis pilots paint silhouettes of enemy ac shot down (some of these are quite interesting) and some of them simply bars.

This issue really don't have some specific rule.

Skycat_2
03-26-2005, 11:04 PM
I'd ignore Marten's post because it doesn't really have anything to do with the original question ...

In FB and FB/AEP 'kill' markings are limited to red stars for the Allies and yellow bars for Axis (like what were historically painted on Luftwaffe fighters' rudders). This system was vestigal from the original IL-2 where it was purely Soviets vs. Germany. FB's inclusion of Finland, Hungary, Romania, United States and later the RAF and other nations weren't reflected by updating the kill symbols.

I'm not able to check 'merged' PF right now, so I'll take your word that that the default IL-2 kill markings are used instead of Rising Suns or perhaps white stars. One observation, however, is that the Japanese are 'Axis' while the Russians are 'Allied'; the Russian star should not replace the Rising Sun marking.

Try a Quick Mission flying for the USN, USAAF, RN or RAF against the Japanese (check your nationality at the top of the menu) over a Pacific map to see what kind of kill marking you get. I'd assume you'd either get the Rising Sun flags or the Luftwaffe bars afterward. (The red stars or maybe white stars might appear afterwards if you fly Japanese planes -- for Japan as your nationality -- against allied planes).

ImpStarDuece
03-26-2005, 11:08 PM
I think it is something that is embedded into the code of the sim and would be very hard to change. If I recall correctly there was something in the readme that mentioned this.

Atomic_Marten
03-27-2005, 06:54 AM
Yup.. I've missed it. Sorry. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif