PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Beach Santa Cruz?

Giantsfan24
05-26-2004, 03:46 PM
Ihave decided to cancel my order on the soundblaster live. I have heard alot of good things about the santa cruz. Two questions
A: Will it give me the fps increase on my system?
B: will the rivera(also made by turtle beach) give me the same fps increase)
My system is:
Msi Ms-6380E
Athlon XP 2000+
512 MB Ram DDR
G4 Ti 4600 128 mb
Windows XP Home Edition

Giantsfan24
05-26-2004, 03:46 PM
Ihave decided to cancel my order on the soundblaster live. I have heard alot of good things about the santa cruz. Two questions
A: Will it give me the fps increase on my system?
B: will the rivera(also made by turtle beach) give me the same fps increase)
My system is:
Msi Ms-6380E
Athlon XP 2000+
512 MB Ram DDR
G4 Ti 4600 128 mb
Windows XP Home Edition

Zeroneg1
05-26-2004, 03:58 PM
I use the TBSC and have had no problems with it. Although I do not know if you would have an increase in FPS. Maybe you should check out the Catalina instead since that replaced the Santa Cruz as the top soundcard from this company. If you were running on an onboard soundcard then you'd get an FPS improvement with most robust PCI souncard.

Almost everyone swears with an Audigy/Audigy 2 but I do like the idea that the TBSC and other soundcards from Turtle beach are DSP soundcards not 'hardwired' and modifiable with a driver.

I though that the GF4 Ti 4600 is on the slow end for this game. I am running a Dual 1600+ with a Quadro FX 2000 and I am averaging 30-45fps on a 1024x768 at 32bit. Sometimes it goes lower to 25fps when there is a lot of stuff gong on. Maybe a change in video card too. If you are getting stutters, that's mostly RAM related. I had them when I was running 512 but they are now gone when I had 1 gig of RAM.

Giantsfan24
05-26-2004, 04:12 PM
I really don't think it is the video card. It doesnt get really bad but i can definitly notice the change in fps from normal flying to when i fly over a city. I'm pretty sure a sound card will fix the problem because i turned off the hardware accelaration in the dxdiag and no more(or very little) drop in fps when i fly over the city. So if the sound card takes the responsibilty of the on board soundcard(ac97), then i hope i will get the same results as i did when i tured off the harware accel.

Zeroneg1
05-26-2004, 04:20 PM
that's because the onboard soundcard is also using CPU resources and does not really 'offload' sound related tasks the way a good PCI soundcard would. So I would try the TBSC if not the Catalina. Good luck http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PS you might want to post your DXDIAG on the community help forum and see if the people there can help you squeeze some FPS out of your system. I am pretty sure they would recommend Audigy if not Audigy 2.