PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Britain...Wings of Victory???

MichaelMar
04-19-2005, 08:32 AM
I see this new WWII CFS is to be released 5/9/05. This game is diffeent then IL2's BoB...right?

If this is not the same then how is this one when compared to the present IL2 flight sim's graphics, FM, damage models, MP???

Confused about these 2 BoB games...what are the the difference besides the makers?

The BoB that is being released next month looks very nice! The damage models and FMs suppose to be realistic and has MP.

THX

jcromb
04-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Shockwave bought the old Rowan's BOB and are updating it and releasing it as BOB Wings of Victory

VW-IceFire
04-19-2005, 10:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelMar:
I see this new WWII CFS is to be released 5/9/05. This game is diffeent then IL2's BoB...right?

If this is not the same then how is this one when compared to the present IL2 flight sim's graphics, FM, damage models, MP???

Confused about these 2 BoB games...what are the the difference besides the makers?

The BoB that is being released next month looks very nice! The damage models and FMs suppose to be realistic and has MP.

THX <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The BoB from Oleg (Forgotten Battles, Pacific Fighters, etc.) is still in early development. There's no real screen shots to speak of...but we've seen the detailing on the aircraft and its superb.

I'm expecting a release in 2006. By then we'll have the computing power http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MichaelMar
04-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Well, since Battle of Britain, Wings of Victory is NOT Oleg's any comments on the game?

1)FM: How do they compare to IL2?
2)Damage Models: Are they as in depth as IL2?
3)Planes: Will there be Italian planes in this soon to be released game?
4)Multiplay: What will in be like?

From what I read on the BoB offical site and various flight sims sites this game will be as good as if not better the IL2.

THX

Chivas
04-19-2005, 11:28 AM
1. Thats still an unknown. The original was so-so but 99% of us don't have much of a clue on how a 60 year old fighter aircraft flew.
2. Thats also an unknown. Original was poor but I believe Shockwave will improve on this.
3. NO, but the game is open so you can have any UFO you wish added.
4. Multilplayer did not work well in the original and will NOT be changed on release...Maybe it will be patched someday.
5. I hope it comes out as good or better than IL-2 but I'm sure Olegs BOB will blow it out of the water when it comes out.

LEXX_Luthor
04-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Official BoB~2 webboard...

~~> http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=4b7ebb3e6c82bd10e91f57446c374f35

LEXX_Luthor
04-19-2005, 12:02 PM
BoB~2 pros are...

(1) AI cannot see through clouds. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
(2) Great offline Dynamic Campaign (so I hear anyway).
(3) BoB~2 is being made to help 3rd Party aircraft modders.
(4) Shockwave indicated they will provide an approval process for "officially accepted" 3rd Party mods -- a good compromise between Oleg's locked sim and the open sims.

BoB~2 cons are...

(1) No Mission Editor http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif at least not in initial releace.
(2) No Multiplay. Surprisingly, this one does not matter. Shockwave should focus on offline play alone, leaving the small 5% market for Oleg where Shockwave will never be able to compete. They should instead focus on creating immersive Dynamic Campaigns like Red Baron and EAW.

Oleg's amazingly detailed Full Mission Builder using easy to generate mission text files combined with Eventlog file is the best around now for offline players wanting to create a 3rd Party Dynanmic Campaign generator.

Aeronautico
04-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Oleg's BoB not out before 2007.
Expect more FB's add-ons before then. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

nearmiss
04-20-2005, 12:42 PM
The Wings of Victory is also supposed to have real world weather.

I'm not quite sure what that means, but I think it means they've gone back in history and determined the weather per day during the conflict period for engagement areas.

I ran the videos that were available, and to be honest...they're not an improvement over the old Rowan's BOB.

The graphics are a long way from state of the art as far as I can tell.

SO http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif I probably won't buy it, since I have the .99 patched version of the original, which appears to be just about as good as what I've seen and read.

I doubt the third party guys will keep updating now that shockwave is in the loop. I'd advise anyone who has an old Rowan's BOB to upgrade to .99 and enjoy, because it's fine...just dated.

RAC_Pips
04-20-2005, 03:39 PM
BoB 2 - Wings Of Victory is based on a lot of work done by a group of enthusaists that go by the name of BOB-MA Developer Group. They are in fact providing a lot of the work hand in hand with Shockwave.

The BoB-MA group have, over the years since Rowan's original BoB came out, done much to improve this game. With the help of Shockwave they will achieve much more. Gaphics, DM, terrain detail, clouds, weather, the ability to mod aircraft, all are having a much needed face lift. On that scale it will be as good as any sim out now. Not bad for a sim that was originally released four odd uears ago.

Sadly though Shockwave have decided not to try and fix the original Multiplayer function. A definite mistake! Nor the odd FM, or the pilot career. And I think these three factors - especially the Multiplayer - will result in the sim not gaining the popularity it deserves.

The campaign offline is really quite stunning. Challenging and very realistic. But the trend for success these days is to have both offlne and online.

Shockwave/BOB-MA Developers Group have definitely misjudged needs here IMO.

LEXX_Luthor
04-20-2005, 04:14 PM
RAC:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The campaign offline is really quite stunning. Challenging and very realistic. But the trend for success these days is to have both offlne and online.

Shockwave/BOB-MA Developers Group have definitely misjudged needs here IMO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not so sure. Trends and Fashion live today and are replaced tommorrow, and for good reasons.

Shockwave may not have the resources to focus on online play given they must compete against Maddox Online. At the same time, they have a good shot at competing with Maddox Offline (although without a hard core Mission Editor this may be difficult).

The requirements of offline and online are 99% the same except for one thing -- online cheating or exploits and gamer behavior. This can cripple online playing which is why Oleg has sacrificed some of the offline community to prevent online behavior from crippling his work. 3rd Party modding is another barrier between offline and online play, although Shockwave may have a solution in an official approval process for 3rd Party mods.

Its possible offline and online going seperate ways in general, although Oleg seems to be interested in good offline and online play for our BoB and Beyond. For a developer to live off online only, they must charge Pay~to~Play. As one online player posted at teh sinhq...

Cutthroat:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If not for the offline base, we would be paying 12.99$ a month to fly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Granted, I firmly believe that online war and offline campaign really share like 99% of code and ideas. For example, AI is critical for a good online war, taking the place of humanoid payers (I meant players!!) when there are not enough humanoids to fill the ranks. Ideally, online war should be humanoid players taking the seats of AI planes, the planes returning to AI control when the player leaves.

And, of course, there should be no individual internet Brownie Point score. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif I don't know where Oleg had that brilliant idea, or who gave it to him. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

fordfan25
04-20-2005, 08:29 PM
wow fully modable. im going to learn how. can you say AIRWOLF vs BLUETHUNDER lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Capt_Kernel
04-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Don't hold you breath on this one. GMX has been saying it would be released every month since Feb. 05. Their client support is awful, just check their forum. If this is any indication of their product, I don't want it.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelMar:

THX <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LEXX_Luthor
04-20-2005, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't be too hard on flight sim Devs being Late with a releace. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Reaves_42
04-20-2005, 11:59 PM
After what GMX did to TAG I wouldn't go near this new sim. Plus by reading the posts you can see why Il-2 has customer loyalty, Oleg puts a human face to 1c. S!

Reaves_42
04-21-2005, 12:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nearmiss:
The Wings of Victory is also supposed to have real world weather.

I'm not quite sure what that means, but I think it means they've gone back in history and determined the weather per day during the conflict period for engagement areas.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be the same thing that FS2004 has. It'll only be current weather or else they would call it "HISTORICAL WEATHER." The real weather feature in FS2004 is probably my favorite part of it. Plus the fact that I looked out my window and the moon was in the same position as on the PC. Great immersion bonus.

Hawggy
08-10-2005, 08:46 AM
I have to ask this qustion again, since there's so much hype surrounding this new title, and it states NOTHING of it in the features:

Is it multiplayer capable? If not, what an expensive beer mug coaster! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

J_Weaver
08-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Hawggy:
Is it multiplayer capable? If not, what an expensive beer mug coaster! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Speak for yourself m8. I'm gland to see that someone out there is actaully paying attention to the off-liners. I've been looking for a flightsim with an immersive campaign for a long while. Maybe this is it.

Hawggy
08-10-2005, 12:49 PM
I hear you man - I just guessed at this point in tech, we could have both, nahmean? Why should one sacrifice for another?

J_Weaver
08-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Yea, I definately agree. But it seems like its always one extreme or another

FritzGryphon
08-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Check my sig for the existing 1C:BoB updates.

Lots of nice pics, and a tenative feature list.

PapaG39
08-11-2005, 08:02 AM
I don't do the "online" play very often. Maybe .1 to .5% so, I am really looking forward to a game that is focused on the single player only.

perhaps, after it is released, the single player types will come together & revive the forum into something meaningful..

However, I will "NOT" purchase this game until the forums are showing a "positive" attitude toward the game. I do not intend to purchase another CFS3 piece of cra*p that was all words & hype & not even half finished.

The reason I don't do online play is: My old eyes just can't pick out the microscopic pixels in time to make a plan of action.
I just don't see you until you are already shooting so, I am always on the defensive.

John_Stag
08-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by PapaG39:
However, I will "NOT" purchase this game until the forums are showing a "positive" attitude toward the game. I do not intend to purchase another CFS3 piece of cra*p that was all words & hype & not even half finished.

That just about describes Rowan's BoB, which is this ones daddy, if not older brother, so it should have gone though the half-fininshed phase already. The base was flawed; if shockwave has done nothing else, they should at least have debugged its offspring. Even despite it's flaws, the original was pretty good, but being released in a lame-duck state did it no favours. But if you're waiting for a positive review of the game here, you're in the wrong place That's not to denigrate this forum, I would never do that (well, not for this reason anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif), but this place is for people who support 1c games' products (note a certain highly-respected member's comments on this sim before it's even out, while there is no mention of 1c's current offerings obvious flaws). dumping on the "opposition" is just human nature. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The reason I don't do online play is: My old eyes just can't pick out the microscopic pixels in time to make a plan of action.
I just don't see you until you are already shooting so, I am always on the defensive.

Spoken like a true air gunner. guess you'd be playing from the back seat of a Luftwaffe bullet magnet? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

vapors201
08-11-2005, 11:52 AM
I don't do the "online" play very often. Maybe .1 to .5% so, I am really looking forward to a game that is focused on the single player only.

perhaps, after it is released, the single player types will come together & revive the forum into something meaningful..

That's exactly why I think labels and a padlock that can lock things up at a halfway decent distance are necessary when flying on a PC. Our view out of a real cockpit is much better and has greater depth than on a 17-21 inch piece of glass. I dont mind hard core flight models but you are not gonna find me trying to pick out microscopic specs that are supposed to be bandits on a hardcore online server. Sheesh, same thing goes for ground targets!

Vapors

PapaG39
08-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Yeah vapors201...,
I finely got tired of trying to fly against the "hairy chest" crowd without icons.
I wish 1c would have at least come out with a small colored dot to put above the aircraft.. Just something to catch my old eyes...
We can't see around the window posts so it would be nice to be able to see through them at least...lol... however I would just be happy with some small Icon to mark the aircraft.

Oh well...I just stick to single player...

Grey_Mouser67
08-11-2005, 05:43 PM
"Hairy Chest" crowd

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

That is the best descriptor I've heard in a long time of the "i'm greater than thou because I fly with cockpit on and icons off" group!

I understand that the base game is going to be a whole lot like the original except less buggy.

I suppose that I'll buy it, but only because I can afford it and not because I have to have it. For me it is missing one major component...a Mission Builder. I think there will be mods eventually because it is open architecture but no good without a Mission builder.

The next bad thing I heard about was that the AI in the large bomber formations is still likely to have the annoying bug where you shoot up an enemy bomber but it doesn't fall out of formation...the FM is simplified to manage large formations and doesn't handle individual planes falling out of formation so they just keep flying along until they fall out of the sky.

I got this info from a SimHQ review.

For me, I like multiplay, but I find that is only one of many phases i go through as I learn a new game.

My first phase is the quick mission builder offline play where I learn all the different planes and their adversary.

After I feel good about that I'll gravitate to the campaign mode. This is the shortest span of time for me because frankly speaking no campaign i've flown has held my interest for very long.

Then I'll move on to multi player...online gaming is fun but after awhile...especially with enough aggrevation from the community or the developer I get sick and tired of the unresolved issues and the "hairy chested" egoists who think their overinflated stats are a product of their skill and intellect...and I move onto the final phase.

The final phase is mission building and campaign generation. Personally, this is my favorite part of a game. I love to research and reconstruct historical and non-historical missions and campaigns and then fly them...in CFS2, I built hundreds of missions and over a dozen campaigns...I love it

BoBII has neither multiplay nor mission building....looks like it'll be a coaster in a matter of a couple of months unless third party folks take over the development and turn it into the next CFS2

LEXX_Luthor
08-11-2005, 05:57 PM
simhq::

<span class="ev_code_yellow">Update</span>: Apparently bomber stragglers do occur. Bader says this feature is still in BOBII. Thanks for the clarification.

~ http://www.simhq.com/_air4/air_145d.html

Shockwave is hoping to create a Mission Editor sometime after releace. We hope.