PDA

View Full Version : Question About Developement

knarf1981
02-10-2005, 10:54 PM
OK, first off before someone rags me, let me say that I know nothing about the field of computer programming. But my question is...If the Maddox team wants to focus their energy on BoB, then what is the big deal about letting outside fans, programmers and 3D modelers expand the game independently. I mean, correct me if i am wrong, but if outsiders continue to expand the game on their own then the possibilities are endless. Hasnt this been done with other games?

knarf1981
02-10-2005, 10:54 PM
OK, first off before someone rags me, let me say that I know nothing about the field of computer programming. But my question is...If the Maddox team wants to focus their energy on BoB, then what is the big deal about letting outside fans, programmers and 3D modelers expand the game independently. I mean, correct me if i am wrong, but if outsiders continue to expand the game on their own then the possibilities are endless. Hasnt this been done with other games?

LawDog007
02-10-2005, 11:07 PM
check the "PF or BOB" thread, its a few threads up (2).

Dragon66
02-10-2005, 11:18 PM
"...the possibilities are endless. Hasn't this been done with other games?"

Yes, that's the point. It has been done TO other games, and all I can say is that the possibilities for dissapointment and frustration ARE endless. Leave it to the pros m8.

That's the short version of my take on it.

However, if the 3rd party additions were to undergo QA from the original development team (the way it is done now), I say go for it. I don't think 1C has the time and resources to do a lot of that now though. So I wouldn't hold your breath.

Perhaps in the future... (after the release of BOB). We'll see.

I say all the current content should be carried over to the new engine... but that is a truly daunting task to say the least. Too bad they can't just "port over" instead of rebuilding everything.

Dragon66 out.

Capt._Tenneal
02-10-2005, 11:19 PM
It's a long story. There's a thread that discusses this too sometime ago. look for something about "open source" or "3rd party open source".

It has to do with the risk of rampant cheating if just anyone can introduce their own planes, maps, objects etc. without control from a central source namely Oleg. There are other issues too, but that's the biggest concern.

DHC2Pilot
02-10-2005, 11:25 PM
I'm not a programmer either, hence this question to the community: It's been said many times that "if you can make it with ones and zeros, then you can break it with ones and zeros." Isn't there a way to reverse engineer the code so that it can be "read"? I don't think it's a good idea to "open source" the code and allow people to pork it, but is it POSSIBLE to reverse engineer? Windows isn't open source either, but people find ways of hosing it up with viruses and spyware.

LEXX_Luthor
02-10-2005, 11:26 PM
knarf:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But my question is...If the Maddox team wants to focus their energy on BoB, then what is the big deal about letting outside fans, programmers and 3D modelers expand the game independently. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
~hi~ knarf

We have independent 3D modders working on expanding FB and PF now. Some of the western modders work can be found here...

~~&gt; www.netwings.org/dcforum/DCForumID43/1331.htmlFirst, (http://www.netwings.org/dcforum/DCForumID43/1331.htmlFirst,)
(slow to load, but it gets there)

There has been "talk" of the sim being releaced to a professional 3rd Party while Oleg moves onto BoB.

There are some 3rd Party map makers, 2 of the maps will be coming soon, but they are for FB not PF. Hopefully PF will get some new maps.

If you look at the people asking for "open source" you will find none of them are willing to join netwings and mod for the sim and help expand it. I am wondering about the reason for this recent internet behavior seen here.