PDA

View Full Version : GEAR PROBLEMS!!

kia1990
10-31-2005, 04:44 PM
hi all,

i just got pacific fighters and i really enjoy it apart from the fact that the designated key for gear up/down which is g just doesn't seem to work so after i take off and when i am going into land i have to put the plane on auto pilot and then take it off again so the gear goes up or down. Please could someone help me with this problem

thanks

Toten_Waffe
10-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Hi.....some aircraft, including the Russian I16 had a manually operated under carriage with a cranking handle in the cockpit. This is also simulated within Pacific fighters. Go into the controls set up from the main menu where you can assign a keyboard key to raise gear manually and lower gear manually. I use the 'Z' and 'X' keys for this but it is entirely up to you what to use.

Happy flying

Zyzbot
10-31-2005, 05:02 PM
And don't forget that you will have to hit the designated key 40 times or so to completely raise or lower the gear manually.

Skycat_2
11-01-2005, 12:44 AM
The F4F-3 and F4F-4 "Wildcat" planes are the ones with the manual gear. Kind of a nuisance, but once you assign the keys and get used to doing the jackhammer tap to raise or lower its not a big deal. My keys are "U" for "up" and "Y" for "down" (simply because "Y" is next to the "U" key).

Additionally there are aircraft with fixed landing gear that doesn't move. In Pacific Fighters this primarily means the Japanese D3A1 "Val" but obviously also applies to the A6M2-N "Rufe" floatplane.

Beyond those mentioned, is there a specific plane type giving you problems?

Kuna15
11-01-2005, 02:47 AM
And if you are as lazy as I am about these things http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif use some of these solutions about gear "issue":
http://scripts.sturmovik.de/html/scripts.html

kia1990
11-01-2005, 11:17 AM
thanks guys i will try it

noworld
11-01-2005, 01:04 PM
G is the gear key, so I use Shift+G for manual up and Ctrl+G for manual down (intuitive and puts it all on the same key...)

Bearcat99
11-02-2005, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by noworld:
G is the gear key, so I use Shift+G for manual up and Ctrl+G for manual down (intuitive and puts it all on the same key...)

Thats what I would have done.. although.. heh heh.. with my setup I have manual gear on my X-45 stick in the 3 & 9 O'clock positions.. (I fly with my MSFFB2).

VT-51_Razor
11-02-2005, 07:19 AM
If you decide not to map these keys because you'll never fly the Grummans, or I-16s, you'll miss out on a very cool feature of this game. On some rare occassions, you may take damage to your landing gear system which will render it inop. In those cases, you can lower it manually by using those same keys you mapped for the Grummans and I-16s.

SeaFireLIV
11-02-2005, 10:31 AM
One of my biggest surprises for me when I got PF was that there was an American plane that needed a hand crank to raise the gears. It wasn`t much of a surprise with Russia, but America? That was another new thing I learnt. Interesting to note that EAW never bothered to include this facter...

But I guess this illustrates how new the US was to aircombat/technology in those early years.

neural_dream
11-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
One of my biggest surprises for me when I got PF was that there was an American plane that needed a hand crank to raise the gears. It wasn`t much of a surprise with Russia, but America? That was another new thing I learnt.
My biggest surprise was the 1943 FM-2.

Chuck_Older
11-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Interesting things about the F4F landing gear:

When you look down in the cockpit, you can see the handle spinning. When it stops, it's locked

The actual mechanism is very similar to a bicycle chain and sprocket assembly

Zyzbot
11-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Another fact about the Wildcat:

€œThe Wildcat has an interesting flap system that is activated by the vacuum system in the airplane and is also used to spin the gyro instruments for instrument flying. Instead of using positive pressure to operate the flap cylinder, this aircraft uses negative pressure or suction. A large tank in the rear of the aircraft stores the negative air pressure. At higher speeds, the negative pressure does not create enough force to overcome the air loads to lower the flaps. It will not hurt the system, as in some aircraft, to put the flaps down at high speed. They just simply won€t come down! Pilots could use this to their advantage in a dogfight and could select the flap handle down before engaging another aircraft. If during the dogfight the airplane happened to slow down below a certain speed, the flaps would creep out. The more the aircraft slowed down, the more flap would creep out. This gave the Wildcat a tighter turning radius, which was a major advantage in a dogfight, as they could potentially turn inside their opponent and get on his tail. €œ

http://www.fantasyofflight.com/aircraftpages/wildcat.htm

danjama
11-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Wow great info. I always wondered why i couldnt lower my flaps on approach over 300kmh. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif I always thought it was a fault of the planes design (yes, a fault with the design not with Olegs model) but now i understand. Cheers pal

VT-51_Razor
11-05-2005, 08:46 AM
My Dad, who was a Naval Aviator during WWII, used to tell me stories about pilots in the F3F and F4F doing a roll after takeoff, releasing the lock on the gear system, and allowing the gear to wind itself "up" ! LOL! It's always been hard to seperate the truth from fiction when talking to an old sea dog like my Dad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif He also used to say that it was quite common to see those Grumman pilots with scraped knuckles who were careless with the crank when lowering the gear. Apparently it could get away from you if you weren't careful.

jds1978
11-05-2005, 10:22 AM
kinda blows my mind that Grumman would implement something as advanced as automated flaps but use a crank system gear mechanism http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif