PDA

View Full Version : A few questions for the "Old Gang"

Merlin367
04-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Hello everyone, I have a couple of questions for those who have been on patrol longer than myself. I just finished reading "Iron Coffins"
and was curious-is the peril of getting back in your own port as described so vivdly by Werner
modeled in the game? If so, then the game is about to get even dicier,as I am presently in '42.
Also I just returned(barely) from my first attempt at N.Y. Harbor.I had made it to within
40 miles of the coastline, traveling at periscope depth at low speed and it was broad day light.I then noticed that the stealth meter kept changing from green to red, so I went to exrenal view to learn that the seas were sending huge waves and "valleys" across my boat,and the "valleys" were exposing the whole of my boat suspended in mid air! (sorry no screen shots)By the time I had ordered the boat lower in the water I was bombed into near oblivion by U.S. aircraft, who then promptly notified all the local destroyers of my last known position and was all I could do to barely escape at all. Twice lost control of the boat and was sent to the bottom, luckily it was relatively shallow and the crew was able to effect enough repairs that we could then resume our escape.Have you experienced anything like this? This would not have happened in reality,
(imho) So does the game cheat at times? Or is this just another bug? Love the game BTW and as far as Werners book is concerned all I can say is "WOW". Thanks Gang. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

WilhelmSchulz.
04-30-2006, 11:27 AM
No.

But you story sounds like you used the P button. I use the depth guage to set pearscope depth.

blastomatic1759
04-30-2006, 12:02 PM
running in shallow water ,while submerged in rough weather will result in your boat being bounced off the ocean floor too. just FYI.

BueJack
04-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Are you running that 'Wave height/Rough seas' mod.
Theoreticaly the radar should not see you, as you're below average wave height, but I'm sure a big lumbering B24 or PBY would see you.

That Link about Uboat lauching rockets on the USA gave some interesting info of how intensly the USA east coast was patrolled - so If you're spotted very quickly.. well not more to say. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kaleun1961
04-30-2006, 12:43 PM
If you are travelling close to the surface [which is what you are doing if you are using the scope] in very rough weather, your hull will be partially exposed as the waves roll by. This can expose you if you are close to enemy shipping. If a plane with radar is nearby, it will pick up intermittent reflections on its radar and will definitely come over to investigate. Next time you are in a storm, order periscope depth and use the external views to see how your boat porpoises in the troughs of the waves. That will give a good enough return on an airborne radar set and also on a surface radar if close enough, like when you are after a convoy.

VikingGrandad
04-30-2006, 03:44 PM
When submerged in rough seas, I usually set the depth to 13-15m so that I can just about use the periscope (intermittently) without the boat bobbing out of the water.