PDA

View Full Version : ACII - can you disable some of the sexual stuff?

PieOnPot
03-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Hey Guys,

First, I know this might not be an issue to some, and I don't mean to sound like an old grandpa, but just hear me out/let me know the answer if you can =P.

I would very much like to pre-order Assassins Creed II (PC) for my brother's birthday, which is rapidly approaching; however, while doing research on the game, I came across a rather disappointing about of sexual comments/scenes that reside inside the game.

My question, is there a way to turn these off/avoid these scenes/comments, etc (besides the obvious turn off the screen/click buttons)? I know you can disable blood, but is there censorship options built in as well?

I did some research, and watched videos on the options menus, but they were not clear enough to tell...

Sorry if my post is not clear enough -- I will happily explain more in depth if needed. I'm just on a bit of a time leash here....

Appreciate any input/advice, as I really do want to order this game!!

-Pie

WowSeriously
03-03-2010, 09:14 PM
So its alright for your brother to stab people in the eye (without any blood of course) with knives but anything sexual is not okay?

Really?

PieOnPot
03-03-2010, 09:25 PM
I suppose you should've said "WowSeriously" to stay consistent with your name, but whatever =P.

The violence part is different to me, and I might not be able to explain it without going on and on (and no doubt putting some of you to sleep).

It's a view point, and it's not without bases mind you -- at this point however, I'm more just interested if there's anyway to "side step" some of the sexual stuff, and how much there really is.

I rather expected the whole "well, what about this"? And I will go into my reasoning on that if necessary; however, I'm more just interested in the info at this point (=.

If you have any to give, please do.
-Pie

ARandomKid
03-03-2010, 09:28 PM
(Note that this post isn't intended to serve as a guide to your brother's more covert activities, if there even are any. You know your brother and his habits better than I do, certainly. I'm just going off of what myself and most of my classmates have done at the ages described, assuming teenage boys haven't radically transmogrificated in like 6 years. That's another point, I also have no idea how old your brother even is. Much lower than this and you probably shouldn't be buying it for him, though. :P

Also off-topic I like making up words.)

The sexual stuff isn't all that bad. I can almost guarantee that if your brother is over the age of like 12 or 13 he's already seen much worse (maybe younger then that given the Hollywood hypersexualization of kids these days), whether via his own...erm...research, or via friends being all like "hey dude check this out AHAHAHAHA u got pwnedinated" or something.

If he's over 14 I can guarantee he's actively seeking out things, or at least considering doing so.

As far as info about suppressing the imagery, I really don't think there's a lot you can do. Especially since if he wants to see it so badly, he can restart the game when you aren't around and view it perfectly fine and dandy. >_>

PieOnPot
03-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the reply Random, it's appreciated. At this point, it looks like there is no way to tone anything down <insert sad face>.

I'll keep that in mind and check around for what my options are (if any).

If anybody else has input on how easy it is to side step this stuff, and how often it occurs, I'd appreciate the extra opinion.

Again, no harm/trolling meant by this post, it's an honest (curious) question. If randomkid's answer covers it, then this post can die.

Thanks again everybody =D,
-Pie

zgubilici
03-03-2010, 10:00 PM
There is barely any sexual content and that is mostly comprised of some comments or references.
There is only one scene that could be considered as having such content, but even that one is not even close to what he could see in a movie for example (the same goes for the comments). Oh and he might even miss it entirely if he misses the button prompt, so even less harm done http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

There is more content in the paintings, but that is art and he can see that in a museum or in an art history book http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BK-110
03-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Yeah, the worst thing you'll see are famous renaissance paintings. The worst thing you're gonna hear is "va*ina" (censoring the word, just in case anyone minds). The most you'll see on an actual character is a bare back.

If your brother can take the violence, then there's really nothing to worry about in the "sexual stuff" department.

the amolang
03-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Seriously, as I completely understand where you're coming from as I do the exact same thing (even for games for myself) I think that the major concern is not sexual content. Its the violence and the language. It's pretty brutal, and you are an assassin. So if your brother is just a kid, or a young teen, I don't think you should consider it.

There is quite a lot of language, but most is in Italian. So if you don't have the subtitles on, you won't realize it. But the game still has about 4-5 f words in English. and then all the other ones are tossed about to some extent as well, like guards will swear in Italian and English. There also is a crude reference to female anatomy as is mentioned above...

Sexual content isn't really that big of an issue. If you watch PG 13 movies then its nothing new. There is only one scene, but it shows absolutely NOTHING. When characters talk it is referenced too sometimes, and a couple of the characters in the game are prostitutes. There also are the Courtesans who are basically Prostitutes as well, and you can use them as diversions (but nothing sexual can happen, just some of the things they say may be slightly sexual). Thats about it for the sexual stuff, but for me, I think the biggest issue still is the violence. Some of the moves are REALLY brutal (and cool, you have to admit it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)

Just_da_Jester
03-04-2010, 10:28 AM
this topic is ******ed....i mean come on... sex sex sex sooooooo what....this game has very little sex involved. sure ezio is a pimp but it shows nothing! get a life dude...and maybe even some strange

AMuppetMatt
03-04-2010, 11:01 AM
OK, I'll try to be constructive over this...

I don't consider myself to be a very delicate mind... equally I'm not someone that is able to sit through a hard core sex scene with my parents in the room and keep any kind of straight face without laughing or going 'gross'. Anyway, point is is that the 'sexual content' I could have sat through when I was 10.

It's very mild, and any words used are used in a comical sense, and I WOULD have just laughed at them when I was 10.

Don't worry over it. You can't block or remove them, but there is nothing there that is going to make things even remotely awkward between family members, and you see nothing (except in paintings, but if you go to ANY art gallery you would see the same thing, so no need to worry)

Hope that helps

Abeonis
03-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Just_da_Jester:
this topic is ******ed....i mean come on... sex sex sex sooooooo what....this game has very little sex involved. sure ezio is a pimp but it shows nothing! get a life dude...and maybe even some strange

Could you do us all a favour; shut up.

Dellers
03-04-2010, 02:34 PM
This ain't a game full of sex, but still: If you think the extreme violence is ok for your brother, then certainly some sexual references and such must be ok? Sex doesn't harm anyone, violence and murders do. I really don't understand the (usually) american thought that violence is ok and sex is not. It's the complete opposite of what's logical, like claiming that the earth is flat like a pancake.

Cornik22
03-04-2010, 02:40 PM
If your brother is 10 or higher then he is ready to do some manual work and play this game, too.

caswallawn_2k7
03-04-2010, 02:58 PM
I find these topics quite funny, I don't see how you can rationalise that it is ok for people to play a game that has you commit murders and slaughter people even tho in real life it is very wrong and lead to bad things.

but then complain about things relating to sex, something that is perfectly legal and needed for the entire world to survive.

if you think your brother is that impressionable that mentions of sex will cause him to act on it, then I would be more worried he is going to play the game then go out beating people up or stabbing them.

PieOnPot
03-04-2010, 06:55 PM
I believe I have enough to go on for now. Thank you everyone for your time/thoughts, it is very much appreciated (=.

I don’t mean to bump this post again, but I wanted to make sure that I at least said a final “thank you”, and not just take the info/run off into the sunset.

This topic can now be locked or whatever, as I will no longer create new post on it (if I need to reply to anybody, I will edit my original post).

To some that asked “violence is okay, but sex is not?”, I feel I owe you at least a small explanation as to why I feel that way, as I’m sure it sounds rather odd.

More or less, I view video games as merely that – games; however, I feel a continued diet of certain types of games/music/movies can have an effect on a person. The question is more what the person is more susceptible to.

In my case, and from what I’ve seen, I found that It was easier to view girls in a different way after watching suggestive scenes in movies/games (call it “lusting”/”undressing with the eyes” or whatever)– I want to treat them with respect, not as an object (or a game) that is to be used/conquered.

I suppose I could say I’m less susceptible to being affected by violence, as I’m not going to go purchase a sniper rifle and shoot somebody – that’s just foolishness; however, I found that my attitude towards girls slowly could be changed, and in the end, I’d just be looking out for what I want.

That’s a very short explanation, hopefully it makes some sense….I want to control my actions/emotions rather than having them control me – violence is not as big of an issue, as I really have no urge to shoot somebody in the face after playing some CSS xD.

Some of you might not be as affected, but I just see it as a steady diet of ice cream or what not, not to mention the average person I meet has a very poor view of girls in general.

Anyhoo, thank you all again (weather you agreed or not) – I really do appreciate it, and will take everything that was said into consideration. This post is now officially closed .

If I feel the need to comment on anything else, I will do so by editing my original post at the top.
-Pie

Rathour
03-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Simply put: No, there's no way to 'side step' the vaugly sexual scenes short of telling your brother to close his eyes when they come up. Though, most people ARE right, there aren't a terrible too many of these scenes in the game. But it is rated M (17+) for a reason.

caswallawn_2k7
03-05-2010, 05:09 AM
But it is rated M (17+) for a reason.
it's rated how it's rated more for the violence.