PDA

View Full Version : Game Servers

GazzaMataz
03-14-2005, 06:15 AM
Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding game servers? Would it be easier to build your own one and keep it on contantly or rent one? If renting who would you recommend in the UK.

Thanks in advance!

GazzaMataz
03-14-2005, 06:15 AM
Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding game servers? Would it be easier to build your own one and keep it on contantly or rent one? If renting who would you recommend in the UK.

Thanks in advance!

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-14-2005, 06:38 AM
I'd say your best bet is to rent bandwidth on one. Then the entire responsibility to provide what you desire rests with the data center you rent from. Otherwise, the hardware is still your responsibility as well...along with the cost of upgrades, repairs, etc,..

If you purchase your own, you're still faced with bandwidth issues. Setup in your house and running 24/7 you're still limited by your ISP (Something NOT usually a problem at a data center).

TB

GazzaMataz
03-14-2005, 06:46 AM
Yeah, that's what I figured - renting. Do you know of any resonable companies that do this in the UK though - its a bit of a mine field for the uninitiated...

GazzaMataz
03-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Well, after looking around and asking questions I find that I cannot run PF on most game servers since they are all Linux-based. I need a dedicated Windows-based sever in order to run a server version of PF...

Anyone know where I can get one and how much it will cost?

Taylortony
03-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Ask on the likes of the TX squadron website or similar as they run one..