PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any advice...???

U-2323
02-28-2005, 07:00 PM
I currently have a P4 1.4 GHZ w/ 768MB ram, Windows XP and a NVIDIA GeForce FX-5200 ULTRA (128 MB graphics card). The video card and ram should be enough, but I am not sure if everything will work up to its potential with my processor. The system requirements list says that P4 1.4 GHZ is the lowest it will work on. Any thoughts anyone? I might just get a new computer - the one i am considering is a P4 3.0 GHZ, 1 GB RAM and a 256MB x16 NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GTO Graphics Card. I was wondering if the game would run ok on the 256MB Geforce 6800 card or would it be too fast? I'm not sure if i should keep my current computer or get the new one, any thoughts anyone has would be appreciated since I am not too computer savy. Thanks in advance, happy hunting!

BobV_07
02-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Well, the machine you got right now will not run SH3 very well. I do know this, you will not be able to run SH3 on its max detail settings! That card you got in there wont do it and the proccessor aint that good either. I'm guessing that you MIGHT be able to run SH3 on its low detail settings and be ok. But you might be disapionted with the overall performance.
Here is what you need to decide. Do you want to spend almost top dollar on your new system or wait for a wile and save yourself some money? You could try waiting until SH3 comes out and give it a try on the system you got now. If it runs ok for you and you dont mind waiting, then thats what I would do.
I'm going to wait until the 6800 GT comes down in price and then get two 6800 PCIE 16X GTs set up in SLI mode(of course I will only run SLI mode if the technoligy has proven its self to be good) with a gig of the best RAM and AMD's Athlon 64 FX-55 proccessor. That my friend will be a smoking FAST system! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Bob

http://adjunct.diodon349.com/photopoint/0037/0046.jpg

U-2323
02-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Yes, that helps a lot actually, although like I said I am not too computer savy. I will probably end up getting the new system (it's a dell, i forgot to mention that). I dont mind spending the money (should be about $1400-1500) because the computer i have now is 3.5 years old and I have been waiting for SH3 and Brothers im Arms for a long time and I DEF want them to be able to run up to their max potential. So the 256MB x16 NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GTO Graphics Card should work fine with the new system then? Thanks for your advice bob!

U-2323
02-28-2005, 08:23 PM
P.S. I like that picture...did you get that from the front box of the U-99 model?

BobV_07
02-28-2005, 10:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So the 256MB x16 NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GTO Graphics Card should work fine with the new system then? Thanks for your advice bob! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, the 6800 is very nice. You will LOVE it!http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif Your new machine will run both games very nicely! You wont regret the upgrade at all since money is not a big issue. And I have heard nothing but good things about Dell. So, you better get to ording so that you will have your new pc before SH3 comes out! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

And to answer your question about my picture, I was looking for a nice picture to post with my posts and that was the one I found. I found it at some sub web site. Most pictures I seen were old black & white pictures that were mostly fuzzy. But, when I seen this one I liked it. Sorry i dont know who made it. I Suppose that maybe I should.
The one I like the most is the one that Blue_76 uses.

Best Regards
Bob

U-2323
03-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Thanks again bob, i really appreciate your help and advice. I agree, the new system is probably the best bet for these games.

macker33
03-01-2005, 08:36 PM
I did a lot of looking around recently and foundout that ATIs Radeons kicked nvidias cards up and down the road in every benchmark.

If benchmarks are anything to go by get a decent radeon,just make absolutely sure that if you fork out the dosh that the card you get is dx9 friendly.

BobV_07
03-01-2005, 08:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macker33:
I did a lot of looking around recently and foundout that ATIs Radeons kicked nvidias cards up and down the road in every benchmark.

If benchmarks are anything to go by get a decent radeon,just make absolutely sure that if you fork out the dosh that the card you get is dx9 friendly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By how much? And then what is the difference in price?

Dominicrigg
03-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Dont eat yellow snow. my advice...

blue_76
03-01-2005, 09:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
Dont eat yellow snow. my advice... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif having trouble sleeping again dominico?

Dominicrigg
03-01-2005, 09:11 PM
heheh yes!!! And you too i guess. Today i fell over at my fathers house helping him build an extension. Fell into a ditch while carrying a massive brick, managed skillfully not to drop the brick on my feet. But in the process trapped my hand between the brick and the half built wall i was carrying it to. So i have a wrecked right hand still bleeding.

ps not brick, breese or breeze block... ouch... it hurts!! thats why i cant sleep lmao its my mouse hand too so for a moment i had flash of fearing not being able to play silent hunter!!

U-2323
03-01-2005, 09:53 PM
If i'm getting the 256MB x16 NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GTO as my graphics card, I am sure that it will be direct-x 9 compatible. it wouldn't make sense for it not to be, considering that it is a new(er) card. would i be correct in assuming this??
ALSO - a friend of mine works for EB games and he said that the game is due in the store on march 16th, the day after it is released (3/15). ONLY 2 MORE WEEKS!!!!!

U-2323
03-01-2005, 09:58 PM
The only option I have to get an ATI card with the system I am ordering is to get the ATI Radeon X300 SE... which is only a 128 MB card. i doubt that it would run SHIII better than the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GTO, which is a 256 MB card. it makes sense... but im not very computer savy, so i dont know... any opinions guys?

U-2323
03-01-2005, 10:07 PM
I have heard that NVIDIA cards are a little more reliable or stable than ATI cards... but yes, i have heard that ATI's perform slightly better...

macker33
03-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Some hype i have heard about the radeon 9800 etc is that they are so powerful that they need their own power supply and that most cpus cant keep up with them,if you want to get the most out of them you will need a cpu that doesnt slow it down.

I'm not an expert either,if i think tying a piece of string to the computer will make the computer run faster i would probably try it.

What i learned anyway was that some cards have 4 pipelines and some cards have 8 pipelines and that this might be as important as RAM,
If somebody tells you something different from what i said then you should believe them.

U-2323
03-01-2005, 10:39 PM
hmmmm, well i am ordering the computer tomorrow and i am planning on going with the 256MB x16 NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GTO as my graphics card. I looked it up at new egg and it said it supports direct x 9.0. dell does not offer any of the higher level ATI cards right now, atleast not on the model im getting - only nvidia cards, unless you want to go for the 128 MB ATI X300 SE (128 MB)... i think the 256 MB nvidia 6800 GTO is a good bet...

macker33
03-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Stick with what you know.I would hate to talk you into getting something and then it turns out to be a piece of ****.

BobV_07
03-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Hey, here is a nice looking review of the 6800 GTO

6800 GTO (http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/gto/)

JG27_Arklight
03-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Should I bless this thread with my divine experience concerning video cards?

Hmmm.........

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

archer49d
03-01-2005, 11:27 PM
As my video card knowledge is severly limited... What exactly does DX9 compatible mean, does that just mean that the computer will install DX9 or is there more to it. The sad thing is I'm quite versed in other hardware aspects, but I've never gone in depth on vid cards.

BobV_07
03-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Go for it, I like being educated! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Who do you like better? Nvidia or ATI?

JG27_Arklight
03-02-2005, 12:36 AM
Well, that is a tough call....

They both have their pluses and minuses so let me try to run through them using my own experiences.

Nvidia:

Nvidia is sort of wierd. They didn't have a whole lot going for them vs ATI until they developed the 6800GT series. The cards prior were always compared ot the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, and before the 9700 Pro. Infortunately for Nvidia, the ATI series kicked their asses up and down the street with regards to both IQ and speed.

Then the 6800GT came. Some say the 6800GT is doing for Nvidia what the 9700 Pro did for ATI. The 6800 GT is a solid performer, decently priced, and MANY of them can be easily oc'd to match the performance of the 6800 Ultra. Speed wise, when the 6800 GT is compared to it's ATI rival the X800 Pro, the 6800 GT beats it in just about every single test. In addition, the GT series on up has support for PS3.0 (which can greatly enhance programming ease, so I'm told", not to mention opening up support for enhanced fog and specular computations, etc..).

However, Nvidia isn't without it's bad sides. IMO, Nvidia driver support is somewhat lacking, not to mention confusing at times. There driver revisions seem to be named more like beta copies of software instead of full-on releases, e.g., 66.93, 71.25, etc.., etc... Also, the newer Nvidia cards have a few issues with some of the older games like Silent Hunter II for instance. For some reaosn there is a conflict with drivers in the 6x.xx category and these older games. The 5x.xx drivers work fine but unfortunately the GT series on up didn't gain support until driver version 6x.xx. If this isn't an issue for you because you don't play any older games the disregard this portion.

Nivida also lacks in one major area. The ultra high end market. There is the 6800 Ultra but to be honest it doesn't compare to ATI's X800 XT/PE. I have a 6800GT that I oc'd to Ultra specs and it doesn't really compare to my X800XT PE at all. The oc'd to ultra spec. 6800GT is a little faster then the 6800GT stock but it honestly isn't anything I have EVER noticed in a game. So there it is..

The Nvidia 6800 GT is a SOLID performer, suppports PS3.0, and the cost is fairly reasonable. In addition, it beats its ATI rival in the same category (the ATI X800 Pro). Since they are priced the same there really is NO reason to get the X800 Pro.

ATI:

I'm not going to compare the 6800GT tot he X800 Pro because I already did, lol. But I can give you a sort of run-down on ATI's other cards, both above and below the 6800GT.

ATI makes great cards, but the speed and whatnot depends a lot on your budget. If you want something similar to a 6800GT...well, buy a 6800GT, lol. As stated above, the competition from ATI in this category is weak. One of the strong points about ATI really began with their 9700 Pro and its ability to run FSAA with not too much loss of FPS. At the onset of the 9700 Pro, ATI was beating Nvidia in the IQ and speed department.

If the 6800GT price range is a little much and you still want to go with ATI then the ATI 9800 Pro is still a pretty good and viable option. It isn't as fast as some of the newer cards but it certainly isn't a slacker. These can be had for "relatively" cheap online depending where you go to buy. They are only 128mb of video ram though so keep that in mind. AT had a 9800 Pro 256 (256mb card) it released a while back in limited quantities but heed my warning and stay away from this card. ATI was testing out DDR2 memory and unfortunately the PCB cooling solution sucks pond water. The card has quite a few cooling issues. If you see one online for cheap use common sense. There is a reason it is cheap and there is a reason it can only be found at Bill's Video Card Barn. Don't buy it.

However, if money is not a factor then I would buy an X800XT PE in a heartbeat. It is fast, I have had NO heat issues, you can crank FSAA and AF up and not see mcuh of a loss of FPS (depending on the game of course), and it is quiet. BUT, it is EXPENSIVE. It retails at Best Buy right now for $499. A major factor going against the ATI X800XT at first was its availability in retail outlets. ATI seems to be starting to ship these out now after seeing the demand, and the demand is righfully placed. it is a fantastic card.

With regards to divers, I began to become more of an ATI fan then Nvidia at the release of the 9700 Pro. The Catalyst team releases pretty regular driver updates and can be counted on to do so. They are also easy to remember. 4.7, 4.8, 4.9, etc.., etc.. In addition, I have pretty good performance with most of them and have yet to have any stability issues no matter which driver I am using. Nvidia seems pretty hit and miss in the driver department.

In closing, the decision is up to you. Cost vs return. Only you can decide what you are willing to drop out of your wallet to accomplish you performance goals.

If you don't mind waiting to purchase till after the SHIII release I will be doing a test between the 6800GT and the X800XT PE. Although the X800XT PE may be faster, the use of PS3.0 on the 6800GT may tip the scales since SHIII takes advantage of it, we will just have to wait and see.

I aksed a few days ago if I should "ditch" my X800XT PE in favor of the 6800GT for this game, but in retrospect I decided to test both before making any final decision (as mentioned above). Whatever I find out I will be sure to share here with everybody.

Hope this helps a little. If you have any other questions about video cards, processors, ram, etc..please feel free to ask.

Sinclair07_fr
03-02-2005, 01:06 AM
I bought a Point of View 6800 GT 5 months ago, and it just runs fine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif You just need to have quite a big case as this graphic card takes A LOT of space. And an other little problem I encountered is the noise the default cooling system produces. I just changed it with the Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 yesterday and now all is perfect. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

U-2323
03-02-2005, 09:22 AM
thanks for your help everyone!! considering that this post started as a question regarding my ignorance about what my current system could do in regards to running new games, it developed into quite a nice discussion! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif thanks everyone for your imput, it has really helped a lot... im ordering my new system today with the NVIDIA 6800 GTO and hopefully it will be here by the 16th..... this is going to be the longest 2 weeks of my life!!!

JG27_Arklight
03-02-2005, 09:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by U-2323:
thanks for your help everyone!! considering that this post started as a question regarding my ignorance about what my current system could do in regards to running new games, it developed into quite a nice discussion! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif thanks everyone for your imput, it has really helped a lot... im ordering my new system today with the NVIDIA 6800 GTO and hopefully it will be here by the 16th..... this is going to be the longest 2 weeks of my life!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will enjoy that video card, I'm sure.

And the P4 3.0 is a great chip.

BobV_07
03-02-2005, 09:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG27_Arklight:
Well, that is a tough call....

They both have their pluses and minuses so let me try to run through them using my own experiences.

Nvidia:

Nvidia is sort of wierd. They didn't have a whole lot going for them vs ATI until they developed the 6800GT series. The cards prior were always compared ot the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, and before the 9700 Pro. Infortunately for Nvidia, the ATI series kicked their asses up and down the street with regards to both IQ and speed.

Then the 6800GT came. Some say the 6800GT is doing for Nvidia what the 9700 Pro did for ATI. The 6800 GT is a solid performer, decently priced, and MANY of them can be easily oc'd to match the performance of the 6800 Ultra. Speed wise, when the 6800 GT is compared to it's ATI rival the X800 Pro, the 6800 GT beats it in just about every single test. In addition, the GT series on up has support for PS3.0 (which can greatly enhance programming ease, so I'm told", not to mention opening up support for enhanced fog and specular computations, etc..).

However, Nvidia isn't without it's bad sides. IMO, Nvidia driver support is somewhat lacking, not to mention confusing at times. There driver revisions seem to be named more like beta copies of software instead of full-on releases, e.g., 66.93, 71.25, etc.., etc... Also, the newer Nvidia cards have a few issues with some of the older games like Silent Hunter II for instance. For some reaosn there is a conflict with drivers in the 6x.xx category and these older games. The 5x.xx drivers work fine but unfortunately the GT series on up didn't gain support until driver version 6x.xx. If this isn't an issue for you because you don't play any older games the disregard this portion.

Nivida also lacks in one major area. The ultra high end market. There is the 6800 Ultra but to be honest it doesn't compare to ATI's X800 XT/PE. I have a 6800GT that I oc'd to Ultra specs and it doesn't really compare to my X800XT PE at all. The oc'd to ultra spec. 6800GT is a little faster then the 6800GT stock but it honestly isn't anything I have EVER noticed in a game. So there it is..

The Nvidia 6800 GT is a SOLID performer, suppports PS3.0, and the cost is fairly reasonable. In addition, it beats its ATI rival in the same category (the ATI X800 Pro). Since they are priced the same there really is NO reason to get the X800 Pro.

ATI:

I'm not going to compare the 6800GT tot he X800 Pro because I already did, lol. But I can give you a sort of run-down on ATI's other cards, both above and below the 6800GT.

ATI makes great cards, but the speed and whatnot depends a lot on your budget. If you want something similar to a 6800GT...well, buy a 6800GT, lol. As stated above, the competition from ATI in this category is weak. One of the strong points about ATI really began with their 9700 Pro and its ability to run FSAA with not too much loss of FPS. At the onset of the 9700 Pro, ATI was beating Nvidia in the IQ and speed department.

If the 6800GT price range is a little much and you still want to go with ATI then the ATI 9800 Pro is still a pretty good and viable option. It isn't as fast as some of the newer cards but it certainly isn't a slacker. These can be had for "relatively" cheap online depending where you go to buy. They are only 128mb of video ram though so keep that in mind. AT had a 9800 Pro 256 (256mb card) it released a while back in limited quantities but heed my warning and stay away from this card. ATI was testing out DDR2 memory and unfortunately the PCB cooling solution sucks pond water. The card has quite a few cooling issues. If you see one online for cheap use common sense. There is a reason it is cheap and there is a reason it can only be found at Bill's Video Card Barn. Don't buy it.

However, if money is not a factor then I would buy an X800XT PE in a heartbeat. It is fast, I have had NO heat issues, you can crank FSAA and AF up and not see mcuh of a loss of FPS (depending on the game of course), and it is quiet. BUT, it is EXPENSIVE. It retails at Best Buy right now for $499. A major factor going against the ATI X800XT at first was its availability in retail outlets. ATI seems to be starting to ship these out now after seeing the demand, and the demand is righfully placed. it is a fantastic card.

With regards to divers, I began to become more of an ATI fan then Nvidia at the release of the 9700 Pro. The Catalyst team releases pretty regular driver updates and can be counted on to do so. They are also easy to remember. 4.7, 4.8, 4.9, etc.., etc.. In addition, I have pretty good performance with most of them and have yet to have any stability issues no matter which driver I am using. Nvidia seems pretty hit and miss in the driver department.

In closing, the decision is up to you. Cost vs return. Only you can decide what you are willing to drop out of your wallet to accomplish you performance goals.

If you don't mind waiting to purchase till after the SHIII release I will be doing a test between the 6800GT and the X800XT PE. Although the X800XT PE may be faster, the use of PS3.0 on the 6800GT may tip the scales since SHIII takes advantage of it, we will just have to wait and see.

I aksed a few days ago if I should "ditch" my X800XT PE in favor of the 6800GT for this game, but in retrospect I decided to test both before making any final decision (as mentioned above). Whatever I find out I will be sure to share here with everybody.

Hope this helps a little. If you have any other questions about video cards, processors, ram, etc..please feel free to ask.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, I read that review my self but I cant remember were it was at.

U-2323
03-02-2005, 09:44 PM
*Supported Cards at Time of Release
NVIDIAā® GeForceā"ž¢ 3/4/FX series with the exception of MX series cards ATIā® Radeonā"ž¢ 8500/9000 family cards or newer
These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game. Additional chipsets may be supported after release.

U-2323
03-02-2005, 09:45 PM
NVIDIAā® GeForceā"ž¢ 3/4/FX series with the exception of MX series cards ATIā® Radeonā"ž¢ 8500/9000 family cards or newer
These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game. Additional chipsets may be supported after release. WOULD THE nvidia 6800 GTO meet or exceed those requirements? will it work in order to run the game??... that has me a little worried...

BobV_07
03-02-2005, 10:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by U-2323:
These chipsets are the only ones that will run this game. Additional chipsets may be supported after release. WOULD THE nvidia 6800 GTO meet or exceed those requirements? will it work in order to run the game??... that has me a little worried... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry, what is it your worried about? The 6800 GTO will do the job nicely with that new system you are getting. Dont worry, SH3 will run wonderfuly with that card. I have got a GeForce FX 5900 XT and I'm not worried at all. Your good. Your question is like a guy in a 911 twin turbo Porche asking if he can beat a Geo Metro. Hehehe!

SDG73
03-02-2005, 10:18 PM
just for a lil reassurance...if it helps ya,I got a XPS gen4 3.4ghz with a 6800gto and it works absolutely beautiful! you'll be able to play pretty much any game out on maxed settings.Make sure you get a comparable cpu cause these cards are powerful...your comp is only as good as your weakest component.Just like any card though,your game settings will have to determine your poison : good fps(performance)or crazy eyecandy,youll have to tweek of course to your likings.hope that helps,im sure you wont be disappointed.I can run Pacific Fighters with 4x AA 2x Ansio on with perfect settings and i can still maintain 40-50fps....simply amazing. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

U-2323
03-03-2005, 04:03 AM
wow, that is impressive. i didn't realize it was such a powerful card. thanks again Bob and SDG73, you have put my mind at ease. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

JG27_Arklight
03-03-2005, 04:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>you'll be able to play pretty much any game out on maxed settings <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except for LOMAC and SC:CT.

As far as PF on "perfect", that isn't with PS3.0 enabled nessacarily. You can run "perfect" settings and still not be at the top of the graphics chart in PF. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

PF with PS3.0 enabled would take a faster system then that (why, I have no idea).

Sure every game will function, but at playable frame rates? Not nessacarily.

Either way it is still a great system, just don't try to upgrade it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif