PDA

View Full Version : Who does Hollywood hate the most..British or Germans?

MB_Avro_UK
06-24-2006, 03:47 PM
hi all,

Just a thought...

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

SkyChimp
06-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Conservative Americans.

Crash_Moses
06-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Republicans!

ploughman
06-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Without reference and purely out of memory a Hollywood producer director type was asked "why are the bad guys Brits?" or something like that and he replied, "Cos' the Brits are the only ones who don't care being cast as the bad guys anymore."

Which ain't true but sort has a resonance with Dr. H. Kissinger's quote about us Brits which sort of went along the lines of "the British are the only people left who enjoy a good war."

Or something like that.

So in answer to your question, the Brits.

SkyChimp
06-24-2006, 03:59 PM
When were the Brits ever cast as bad guys? The only time I can remember is the movie "The Patriot," and in that case it was historically correct.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ploughman
06-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Talk to the producer, I was just failing to remember a quote accurately. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Rjel
06-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by SkyChimp:
When were the Brits ever cast as bad guys? The only time I can remember is the movie "The Patriot," and in that case it was historically correct.

Braveheart, for another. Spice World starring the Spice Girls..... wait you said bad guys, not bad actors. My mistake. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ploughman
06-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Not to change the subject but I finished watching the first season of Deadwood tonight and I really have to hand it to HBO, that is one incredible piece of TV, pure Shakespeare. If the bard was alive today he'd've written that final episode. Wonderful stuff. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Ian McShane, aka Al was also in the 1969 Battle of Britain film, which is just about the only connection I can make to aviation at this time.

SkyChimp
06-24-2006, 04:31 PM
I love Deadwood. It's a fantastic series.

Sopranos is fantastic as well, and ROME was awesome. I hope that one comes back for another season.

MB_Avro_UK
06-24-2006, 04:40 PM

Noooo...the Brits did not burn alive Americans...the film was a typical Mel Gibson product. He is Australian and for some reason or other hates Brits.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

MEGILE
06-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:

Noooo...the Brits did not burn alive Americans...

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Indeed, you can thank the nazis for that one

Major_V
06-24-2006, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:

Noooo...the Brits did not burn alive Americans.

QUOTE]

Well, maybe not. But they did burn down the White House in 1812 (poor Dolly Madison had to save several important paintings from the fire), and that ain't nice. Then, the British army was hit by a tornado (I kid you not). Divine retribution? Who knows.

But there is no doubt that Germans are Hollywood's favorite target (aside from George W. Bush). Anyone see Schindler's List? Every Hollywood war movie ever made makes the Germans look completely inept--the Allies never miss and the Germans can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn. (U.S. kill ratio in "The Dirty Dozen"--about 50 to 1, and they were all criminally insane.) If only it had been that easy in reality!

(BTW, I am not German.)

Major V

Airmail109
06-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Us brits are cool tho, I mean the British accent makes such a good bad guy accent. Most others dont....

MEGILE
06-24-2006, 05:04 PM
Ironically Brits make the best Germans.. ala Hans and Simon Gruber.

LStarosta
06-24-2006, 05:05 PM
You have royal family interbreeding to thank for that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

MEGILE
06-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Also, the British family are all half German http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

slipBall
06-24-2006, 05:06 PM
They hate the bootlegers the most, especially Brit bootlegers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

x6BL_Brando
06-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Also, the British family are all half German

Actually, I think the Danes may not really thank you for that crack http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Phil the Greek's dad being one.

MB_Avro_UK
06-24-2006, 05:40 PM
anyway...

Hollywood hates Brits and Germans..but in my opinion based upon experience..Brits and Germans get on together ok..what a Crazy World..!!

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

GBrutus
06-24-2006, 06:12 PM
We English also tend to forget that we have quite strong Germanic roots anyway. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

berg417448
06-24-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure that even Hollywood would touch this one:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/06/24/goat.demoted.ap/index.html

huggy87
06-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Forget demotion. I would sentence him to death on a gyro spit.

Rjel
06-24-2006, 06:41 PM

Noooo...the Brits did not burn alive Americans...the film was a typical Mel Gibson product. He is Australian and for some reason or other hates Brits.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

I think Gibson was born in the state of New York. His family migrated to Australia.

huggy87
06-24-2006, 06:50 PM
The burning of the church scene in the patriot was over the top. It was, none the less, a bloodier war than people imagine. Tarleton was every bit as nasty as portrayed in the film. His men did indeed execute american prisoners, and the americans responded in kind by not accepting british surrenders - Tarleton's quarter. Only in real life, Tarleton was hailed as a hero in england and lived a long life.

leitmotiv
06-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Your question put me on the floor laughing, MB_Avro_UK. You have mastered the art of great questions! I would say there is a lot of history to this. In the 1930's Hollywood's view of the British Empire was that it was that it was a world force for civilization, classical liberalism, and the greatest sporting club on the planet with all the imposssible "natives" to govern with grand chaps like David Niven and Cary Grant. There was also the Dickens factor. Charles Dickens was a formidable force on the American imagination at that time (even was when I was in high school 40 yrs ago), and, next to GONE WITH THE WIND, Hollywood reserved (here I really mean MGM, the premium studio with the most literary pretensions) its best treatments for Dickens. The Blitz transformed the British into a heroic race in the American imagination and films like MRS. MINIVER reflected this. Look at members of our later ruling elite who were young during the war like Caspar Weinberger and R. Reagan, they were unrepentent Anglophiles and cheerfully accepted peerages when, until they did this, it was considered un-American to become an English toff. This did not change for thirty years. Even films very critical of British attitudes and belief systems like THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI largely did not shake the exalted heroic status of the British in American popular imagination. A stiff upper lip film like SINK THE BISMARCK could still be a big hit in the U.S. in 1960. A documentary on Churchill's history of the Second World War with Richard Burton speaking Churchill's words ran on network TV. When Churchill was buried, all of the spectacle was carried live on American TV. To be considered literate you had to have read at least one volume of Churchill's WWII history. JFK made Churchill an honorary U.S. citizen. British war films were popular on American TV.

What broke this? One word: PATTON. Coppola, the screenwriter, apparently took every Brit to be a variation on Terry Thomas's sneering, unpleasant, distasteful, arrogant British s---s. The advisor for the film was American General Omar Bradley who did not have a happy life with Bernard Law Montgomery and, obviously, his view of Monty pervaded the film. Add to that, the hero of the piece, Patton probably thought polo was the only thing of value about the British. This film's lampooning suddenly reduced the heroic Brits to comic butts for Americans with huge clanking b-----ks. A lot of Americans profoundly disliked the British, and these included our political class (except JFK who knew the British well, quoted Byron fluently, and harbored a Romantic fascination with aristocratic British politicians of the 19th century) who profoundly distrusted British politicians and wished to take down the British Empire. In this club were FDR and Ike, and many ex-servicemen who couldn't stand British weather, beer, food, attitudes, and just about everything associated with them. Thus, there was a glamor to the British in the popular imagination at the same time there were a lot of surly Yanks waiting for a popular synthesis of their distaste to be presented. This was achieved with the Monty and the other British in PATTON.

Their women are either emaciated spinsters or fat. They have bad teeth. They condescend. They sneer. They are b----y incompetent at everything except self-promotion. They can't win battles without Americans bailing them out. They are perverted (remember the bedroom with the ceiling mirror?). This film was the anti-MINIVER. It blew the heroic image to pieces and left an enduring image of the WWII British as basically jerks (but we still love 'em kinda). To this day there are now few Americans who know who Churchill was but they'll recognize the guy who did the comic turn as Monty in a flash. When Hamilton published his multi-volume biography of Montgomery, it was greeted with derision on this side of the pond.

As for the Germans, what can you say? In WWI and after, Erich von Stroheim was the distilled Hollywood image of German decadence and brutality ("von Stroheim" was not an aristocrat, he was an Austrian Jew). ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT softened the image of the Germans, but by the late '30's they were heavies again. In the war years they were either young, impressionable fanatics brainwashed by the Nazis or strutting, vicious bastards. In the 50's there was THE ENEMY BELOW which humanized the German enemy and presented him as a worthy opponent. Even the all-American hero, John Wayne, played a German merchant raider captain. This was the period of reconciliation. In the '60's the image got more complicated with Sartre's THE CONDEMNED OF ALTONA and similar films which depicted the Germans as tortured by their historical destiny. The dominant Germans in PATTON, Rommel and the General Staff officer who traces Patton's career are good men fighting for an evil cause. They make interesting contrast with the film's Monty.

The present day? The British are seen as just fellow consumers of American culture who like a weird kind of football. The Germans don't even exist. The last German film which had a powerful impact on the American imagination was DAS BOOT 25 years ago. DOWNFALL caused hardly a stir. Americans are currently obsessed with themselves, as is the whole world.

Oh yes, to answer your question---it depended, like everything in this world, on the times whom Hollywood hated the most. Hollywood hated the Germans for a long time. The Germans are still on the Hollywood "s--t list." As for the British, Hollywood never hated the British---for one thing, there were too many of them in Hollywood all the time for them to be hated---they are part of the scenery. Just look at all the British names for streets in L.A.! The Brits had a good run with Hollywood as heroes of the age, but all good things come to an end.

SeaFireLIV
06-24-2006, 07:54 PM
It`s all very well that Hollywood picked on the Brits because the Brits didn`t mind being made villains, but after a while it started to wear down on you. At one time, late 80`s, early `90s it felt like there was a concerted effort to demonise the English.

I liked Braveheart and Edward`s Villainous character -which was somewhat entertaining. It was kinda shocking and funny when he threw the effeminate fop of his son out the window and when he ordered archers to fire on Braveheart`s men and one of his Lietenant`s said, "We`ll hit our own men." And he replies, "Yes, but we`ll hit some of theirs too!" With that somewhat `I couldn`t give a toss` look on his face.

But the Patriot wanted me to puke as it was directly appealing to just one section of society to the point of unhistorically demonising Britain. I dunno why Mel just didn`t put Swastikas on every Englishman`s forhead! He must hate the Brits.

Last Action Hero.
Diehard.
Impossible Mission 2
Lara Croft(can`t remember movie name).
Anything where the US could sneer at the uppity British for a while.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Germans only really get it if the theme is WWII.

Oh well, it`s not so bad these days...

leitmotiv
06-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I'm an American and I disliked BRAVEHEART and I recognized immediately that Gibson stole that unforgetable atrocity scene in THE PATRIOT, the burning of the church with the people in it, from the American TV film HOLOCAUST from 1978. This made me furious because it was an outright lie. No denying the Brits played hardball in the Revolution (paying "Indians" to attack rebel settlements and paid them for scalps. etc.), but this kind of thing didn't happen, and, if it had, the British would have been considered animals in world opinion at the time (which then, as now, mattered). Personally I think this is more an intermural thing between Australian-raised (but American) Gibson and the home country. Both had a definite anti-British agenda. They were great get out the locals to burn a crate of Hugh Grant films---for the Scots and for the Yanks. People are so historically brain dead in the U.S. the blow hit thin air. Nobody had the slightest idea who the redcoats were. If Gibson hoped to make Amercans mad at the British, he'd be better off trying to prove there was a horrible British conspiracy to rig "American Idol"---that would really get blood in our eye. Granted, BRAVEHEART went right for the jugular, and even the dumbest Yank could see Gibson was drawing this virile Scots hero opposition to the backstabbing, poofta, Brit bastards with their army of degenerate, brutish animals. Made you wonder how the creeps managed to put the cosh on the Scots up through Culloden? Again, to the vast American dufus audience it was just another good head bashing film. Gibson's agenda hit thin air here. What really mattered here was that they made tons of money.

leitmotiv
06-24-2006, 09:32 PM
As for who Hollywood really hates, SkyChimp and Crash_Moses are absolutely correct: conservative Americans and Republicans. I could write a book on the subject. To the average film industry worker, unless he happens to be one of a handful of non-fanatical Left-wingers, the above are worse than Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot combined. Furthermore, they ardently believe all evil in the universe stems from the U.S. Except for the fact that they believe themselves too perfect to die they would love for al-Qaeda to blow up L.A. just to teach the U.S. a lesson---Peoria or Kansas City are more "appropriate." These people kill me---more certitude and self-righteousness than any group of people I've ever seen.

Rjel
06-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
As for who Hollywood really hates, SkyChimp and Crash_Moses are absolutely correct: conservative Americans and Republicans. I could write a book on the subject. To the average film industry worker, unless he happens to be one of a handful of non-fanatical Left-wingers, the above are worse tham Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot combined. Furthermore, they ardently believe all evil in the universe stems from the U.S. Except for the fact that they believe themselves too perfect to die they would love for al-Qaeda to blow up L.A. just to teach the U.S. a lesson---Peoria or Kansas City are more "appropriate." These people kill me---more certitude and self-righteousness than any group of people I've ever seen.

You should write that book. With the views you just stated in your post, it should be a complete 180 from liberal Hollywood.... and just as biased.

Gold_Monkey
06-24-2006, 09:53 PM

Sopranos is fantastic as well, and ROME was awesome. I hope that one comes back for another season.

I agree Chimp, excellent programs.

leitmotiv
06-24-2006, 10:05 PM
These people are my friends and colleagues---they would be proud of my description of their beliefs because its all true. They hate the U.S. with a passion and hope we are punished severely (but, preferably not them because they are paragons). Between them and the religous right, which looks forward to Armageddon, we have two extremes rooting for our annihilation. Nice.

Jungmann
06-24-2006, 11:23 PM
"They believe themselves too perfect to die they would love for al-Qaeda to blow up L.A. just to teach the U.S. a lesson---Peoria or Kansas City are more "appropriate."

Leitmotiv

I don't think I've ever seen postings on this forum that are more pneumatically stuffed and seriouly reeking with ka-ka than the series of yours I've just read.

You insult me and the men and women I work with. I AM an average film industry worker. There are around 30,000 of us. We think our own thoughts, we speak our own minds, and every one of us is different and distinctive. Don't ever reduce us to your bumper-sticker slogans. Don't ever accuse any of us--not one of us--of wanting to murder Americans.

leitmotiv
06-24-2006, 11:46 PM
I apologize for accusing all in one lump. Of course this isn't true, but the only conservative I met in the film industry is Ray Stevenson of ROME fame (I don't think he is being "outed" here, he made no secret of his politics when I worked with him on a script in London in '95). Come on. You hear that kind of stuff about punishing the U.S. all the time. I used to get half a dozen emails a day from friends howling about how evil the U.S. is and how we deserve to be hammered. The Left, and I am a member having voted for George McGovern in '72, Carter, and Clinton in '92, has gone off the deep end. Do you pay attention to the statements of Howard Dean? What I wrote was true for Californians I know north and south who really loathe the U.S. and if you think they are not a sizable group, you are kidding yourself. I suppose you would deny as fervently the cracked Right doesn't have its own weird millenarian agenda? I recall well a London dinner party with many "Armani Labourites" and one far Left New Yorker who all thought it was hilarious a "stupid" American chopper pilot blew up an English APC in Gulf War '91. This was in 1994---this kind of thinking is not new. I have a friend who is a documentary director. He made the huge error of conjectoring that perhaps Bush was not a lying, evil, reckless cowboy two years ago and all the people at the dinner he was attending tore into him all night. He is another old Lefty, like me, and he was nauseated by the vitriol of the people around him. Professionally, he realized he had nearly committed suicide, and changed his public position.

One final thing, you would have to be Pollyanna to not see there is a very ugly strain of fanaticism in the land. I went off to college in 1970 and I well remember the extremism of those days. I was at UC Berkeley and I was in the Haiphong mining riots in May '72. I saw the closets of M16s and heard the boasts about "come the revolution." Well, I think there is a huge potential for it getting even uglier now, and I do not like it, nor will I pretend it is not happening.

Kurfurst__
06-25-2006, 05:34 AM

Rome 2 season comes 2007, Chimp. It's simply awesome, agreed.
HBO is the only series maker even I can watch - and man I hate television otherwise.

Kernow
06-25-2006, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
They can't win battles without Americans bailing them out.

Yep, as Homer Simpson said when he came to London, 'Just remember we saved your a$$ in Vietnam.'

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Aaron_GT
06-25-2006, 07:30 AM
The film was a typical Mel Gibson product. He is Australian and for some reason or other hates Brits.

He was born in New York state to American parents. By my reckoning that makes him American!

Chuck_Older
06-25-2006, 09:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When were the Brits ever cast as bad guys? The only time I can remember is the movie "The Patriot," and in that case it was historically correct.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Atrocities are commited in every war. many people both in the US and abroad feel that their country never did anything 'wrong' or unjust in war. I have no doubt that the Colonists and the British both commited horrible acts during the American Revolution (I grew up and live in Boston, growing up within an hour's drive of most of the key locales of the Revolution in Massachusetts)

The Movie "The Patriot" was a film that was not meant as a documentary, obviously. But Brits and Colonists undoubrably did some not nice things

However, all that was settled quite some time ago.

Personally I would say that "Hollywood" isn't smart enough to hate anyone because they pander to the inspidily dense, and if the only thing left to get upset about is how some movie production house gets facts wrong, then we're living charmed lives

heywooood
06-25-2006, 10:03 AM
simmer down - Hollywood hates REALITY - the rest of you just get in the way. duh.

They fear that no one would watch a film unless the stupid audience could point to one faction or person in it and say 'thats the bad guy' so thats what they do - they pick one, and they embellish the evil f@#k out him or them...and we get pulp instead quality.

djetz
06-25-2006, 10:30 AM
At this point I'd have to say "muslims"

jensenpark
06-25-2006, 11:41 AM

Yea, Skychimp, you c*%$&$*($)#r, Deadwood is fantastic. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
I describe it to friends as half Shakespeare and half swearing. Extremely well researched and written.

Only thing else I can stomach from TV is the Dennis Leary series, Rescue Me and The Shield.

RCAF_Irish_403
06-25-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by djetz:

beat me to it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Personally I would say that "Hollywood" isn't smart enough to hate anyone because they pander to the inspidily dense, and if the only thing left to get upset about is how some movie production house gets facts wrong, then we're living charmed lives

hear-hear!

JSG72
06-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by djetz:

WHY?

Depending on your viewpoint. Surely many films that are made are either Pure Fantasy or educational. In that they try to stir an emotion amongst audiences.
Some Folks take them "AS Read" Others with perhaps a questioning attiude will either accept the subject as being The Best/ As near
to the truth as we're going to get. Or just something that will be ignored by the general audience as nothing more than "Unpatriotic" Hogwash.
If there was a Descent education system that didn't rely on "Soundbite" History. perhaps a more rational view would be held?
It would appear that a few of the posters here. Confuse Brits with predominantly English.

Rjel
06-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by JSG72:

If there was a Descent education system that didn't rely on "Soundbite" History. perhaps a more rational view would be held?
It would appear that a few of the posters here. Confuse Brits with predominantly English.

You mean Decent??? Or the descending quality of the education system that causes incomplete sentences?

JSG72
06-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Rjel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSG72:

You mean Decent??? Or the descending quality of the education system that causes incomplete sentences? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. Darn it! That confusing British language.

Rjel
06-25-2006, 12:47 PM

LOL. Darn it! That confusing British language.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

ploughman
06-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Oddly enough, everyone's picked up on Mel Gibson's Anglophobic contribution to recent cinema. I saw an interview with him, Jonathan Ross or some such other fellow, and he openly stated that he actually was a royalist when it came to the question of Australian republicanism. He thought that Australia was the country it was on account of the path it had travelled and, pretty much, if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

I agree with Sky Chimp. Deadwood rulz.

fordfan25
06-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Megile:
Ironically Brits make the best Germans.. ala Hans and Simon Gruber. LOL yaw zay did.

MEGILE
06-25-2006, 03:00 PM
yippe kay ay, mazza fak

LStarosta
06-25-2006, 03:46 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:wYzD8Ecoj13JKM:img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/KingOfPolarBears/southpark804-PassionoftheJew-MARCH312004_0001.jpg
"Mel Gibson? The Patriot sucked. We want our 18 dollars back."

strewth
06-25-2006, 07:27 PM
I think I remember that Mel, once established in the great Hollyweird world, denied being an Australian. He said something about coming over from kiwiland with his American parents and only lived here and built up his career http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif
Seems that he is happy being the patriotic American. But darn, no matter how hard we try, we cannot seem to shake that bleedin Russel Crowe twit. Anybody want him? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif
Come to think of it, I think Russel made a similar claim around the same time, but has still never left. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

LEXX_Luthor
06-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Canadians -- hollywood hates them more, I guess because Canada made LEXX and hollywood could never think of something like that; a fit of jealousy perhaps? But then, Germany had a hand in making the first season...

...with some additional funding from Britain's Channel 5.

~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexx

Okay, Brits too.

partic_10
06-26-2006, 01:22 AM
This statement - "He was born in New York state to American parents. By my reckoning that makes him American!" - makes me happy. I'm 'Strayan (that's how we Ossies {that's how North Americans pronounce it} say "Australian")
Er, anyway, Gibson is the most conceited **** who ever opened his ignorant mouth. They say Australians are afflicted by tall poppy syndrome, i.e. that we try to cut successful people down size out of envy. What poop! Gibson is a classic example of the sort of "successful" person we despise - a modestly talented self-promoter who believes the fact that they made millions out of the light entertainment industry makes them superior people and imbues their every arrogant statement with significance. I respect him less than some piles of dog€s filth I have met.
But at least he's not a pom. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

whiteladder
06-26-2006, 02:37 AM
I think it sometimes feels like hollywood hates the Brits because the of the way they cast films. If the film is about a subject that you would obviously cast the British as the villians(the Patriot for example) then naturally it doesn`t show Brits in a great light. It just seems they hate Brits more because if the film is about any other nation they will cast a Brit to play that role.

As a Brit I`m not bothered by this quite the opposite I think it just shows that British character actors are some of the best in the world. Also the opposite can happen, a good proportion of the American soldiers in " Band of Brothers" are Brit actors.

What I do find slightly annoying is the tendency sometimes to skew the history and put an American slant on things(U571 anyone!). I don`t feel personaly agrieved by this, but I think it does insult the memory of the real hero`s, and Britain has plenty of those!

WTE_Googly
06-26-2006, 03:51 AM
Russell Crowe has already been punished enough, after what happened to the rabbitohs on the weekend http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif (66-0 anyone http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif )

(He is part owner of the Rugby League club the Rabbitohs if you didn't know http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif )

Oh wait... what about next week...

panther3485
06-26-2006, 04:17 AM
"It would appear that a few of the posters here. Confuse Brits with predominantly English."

I know there are many who wouldn't care or bother, but to me this is an important distinction.

In 'Braveheart', the English were portrayed as the 'bad guys' by telling a story based on their acts of oppression against the Scottish, who would later join the Welsh and the English to become the British .

It was these British who, as a relatively newly formed nation themselves, set about their attempted repression of American aspirations for independence, as portrayed in the movie, 'The Patriot'.

Best regards,
panther3485

Blutarski2004
06-26-2006, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by Gold_Monkey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SkyChimp:

I agree Chimp, excellent programs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... Never could get into "Deadwood", but agree wholeheartedly with respect to the "Sopranos" - which IMO = "I Claudius" set in North NJ.

Blutarski2004
06-26-2006, 05:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JSG72:

You mean Decent??? Or the descending quality of the education system that causes incomplete sentences? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... It is a bit ironic to see a criticism of one party's use of an incomplete sentence presented by another within the framework of his own incomplete sentence.

Must we call out the grammar police?

Blutarski2004
06-26-2006, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by strewth:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
I think I remember that Mel, once established in the great Hollyweird world, denied being an Australian. He said something about coming over from kiwiland with his American parents and only lived here and built up his career http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif
Seems that he is happy being the patriotic American. But darn, no matter how hard we try, we cannot seem to shake that bleedin Russel Crowe twit. Anybody want him? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif
Come to think of it, I think Russel made a similar claim around the same time, but has still never left. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... We'll take Mel and Russell, if you will take Tom Cruise off our hands. PLEEEZE.

Nick_Toznost
06-26-2006, 06:07 AM
Any of you seen the film: "Churchill- The Hollywood years"?

It deals with these sort of issues, how Hollywood represents the world. It follows the story of how Winston Churchill was in fact an American G.I. who single handedly saves the world.

It was a flop in the UK, so I seriously doubt anyone's heard of it in the US.

Not a brilliant film, but some fuuny moments.

IKG26Redcoat
06-26-2006, 06:20 AM
Not to harp on about The Patriot, but I really hate everything about that movie. Aussie or yank wannabe, Mel has a serious grudge against the English.
The Revolutionary War turned into a nasty war. No doubt, but that goes for both sides. Every example of a British atrocity can be countered with an equally nasty American one. Thats fact. But the way all British are portrayed as mindless zombies, or as evil sadistic nutters really pisses me off.
How the hell did the British attain the Empire it did with walking automatons and mindless cruelty? Or stop the french domination of Europe, North America, India and the Middle East countless times? To beat every superpower of the age, and have the most powerful navy in the world for 300 years, from an island the same size as Oregon, was not the work of muppets, Ming the Merciless or Dr Evil, depite what Mel thinks.
And the real pisstake at the end of that film is the way that his surviving men, and his slaves, all proudly band together to start work on building Mel a new house, while sniffing away tears! If thats not a class thing I dunno what is!
Theres only two words for this film, and Mel.... complete bollocks.

bazzaah2
06-26-2006, 06:37 AM
what Redcoat said. Can't stand Mel Gibson for that. It would be completely unacceptable for him to make such slanted prejudiced tosh against pretty much anyone else and I wonder why it is acceptable for him to make such anti-English propaganda.

WOLFMondo
06-26-2006, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by IKG26Redcoat:

How the hell did the British attain the Empire it did with walking automatons and mindless cruelty? Or stop the french domination of Europe, North America, India and the Middle East countless times? To beat every superpower of the age, and have the most powerful navy in the world for 300 years, from an island the same size as Oregon, was not the work of muppets, Ming the Merciless or Dr Evil, depite what Mel thinks.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

We did actually buy India though.

Nick_Toznost
06-26-2006, 07:55 AM
The Patriot.

I watched that film in a cinema in rural Kentucky. I'm English and needless to say I kept my mouth shut. I thought I was going to get lynched and strung up or something. Everyone in the audience cheered whenever anyone in a red uniform died.

On the way out of the foyer I couldn't help but overhear people saying stuff like "We sure wooped them, huh huh"

I hate it when history gets altered, just for the sake of stirring a nation's pride.

I bloody hate that film.

Another example of a really anti British film has to be Titanic. Awful film as it is with or without historical inaccuracies.

In Titanic, I recall a character called Mr Lightholler, an English crewman who is portrayed as a bungling idiot, going mad and shooting an Irishman or something. I wouldn't want to watch the film again so I can't be sure.

All I remember is the long running lawsuit that Lighholler's angry family, who live near me, filed against Hollywood. It was in the local paper for some time.

The family lost I think.

In reality Mr Lightholler was a true hero, saving people by launching the unused collapsable lifeboats and chucking flotsam overboard for people to grab onto.

He survived the Titanic and went on to save British troops at the evacuation of Dunkirk in 1940.

Imagine having a relative, especially with such an unusual name, who you knew to be a hero being defaced in this way.

In the 1950s film "a night to remember" he is portrayed by Kenneth Moore in a more accurate light.

James Cameron seemed to put historical accuracy way behind a selling storyline. He got so much wrong. Especially that vomit inducing love story that could never have happened.

I bloody hate that film too.

Flying_Nutcase
06-26-2006, 08:02 AM

Star Wars: Who gets the Brit accent? None other than the leader of the evil Empire. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

Tut tut.

IKG26Redcoat
06-26-2006, 08:29 AM
Yeah, but if youre talking about the Admiral in Star Wars, that was Peter Cushing, the original Van Helsing, whos stabbed killed and maimed more vampires than Buffy, so he couldnt be evil if he tried, LOL

Xiolablu3
06-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Mel Gibson is a ****.

See 'The Patriot' and see how he blames the Jews for the killing of CHrist. The truth is that there isnt a lot in the bible about the actual crucifixion. 'The Passion' is actually a performance piece which was done in the middle ages to insight people against the Jews.

See South Park, 804 'The Passion Of the Jew' for what Mel Gibson is really like.

http://mrtwig.net

I love South Park, one of the best things on TV at the moment. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

joeap
06-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Mel Gibson is a ****.

See 'The Patriot' and see how he blames the Jews for the killing of CHrist. The truth is that there isnt a lot in the bible about the actual crucifixion. 'The Passion' is actually a performance piece which was done in the middle ages to insight people against the Jews.

See South Park, 804 'The Passion Of the Jew' for what Mel Gibson is really like.

http://mrtwig.net

I love South Park, one of the best things on TV at the moment. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Agree 100% about Gibson and South Park.

Xiolablu3
06-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Sorry I meant 'The Passion', not 'The Patriot' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

StellarRat
06-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Mel Gibson is a ****.

Well, I actually read the Bible and it basically says the Pharises (Jewish sect) asked the Romans to arrest him because they didn't like what he was teaching. There is no evidence that Romans had any desire to do anything to him up to that point. In fact they were a bit perplexed about why they should arrest him at all. So, what is inaccurate about this?

Xiolablu3
06-26-2006, 01:18 PM
The point is in the WAY that the film is delivered.

Most of the rabbis are snarling, dog in the manger sadists in this movie.

Look at how horribly savage Jews are made to look in this film, yet from so little information in the bible, he has created such a perfect picture of Jewish religious leaders portrayed as sadistic idiots.

If you want an explanation, look no further than Gibson's father, a man who has on tape denied the Holocaust. Gibson Senior feels that Hitler and his ****tard goons didn't kill six million Jews out of sheer hatred; rather, Mr Gibson feels that the Jews just got up and left!

StellarRat
06-26-2006, 01:24 PM
OK, well, now you are more clear. Also, you are wrong to assume that the son believes as the father.

On a lighter note I know that George Lucas also hates the British:

Governor Tarkin: You don't know how hard I found it, signing the order to terminate your life.

Princess Leia: I'm surprised that you had the courage to take the responsibility yourself.

Governor Tarkin: Princess Leia, before your execution, you will join me at a ceremony that will make this battle station operational. No star system will dare oppose the Emperor now.

Princess Leia: The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.

Pig_Mac
06-26-2006, 02:28 PM
I'd say Sweden! There are not bombs enough to take revenge of all the blond braindead 'inga's and 'lisa's over the years.

And the recent failure with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_bay

MB_Avro_UK
06-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by IKG26Redcoat:
Not to harp on about The Patriot, but I really hate everything about that movie. Aussie or yank wannabe, Mel has a serious grudge against the English.
The Revolutionary War turned into a nasty war. No doubt, but that goes for both sides. Every example of a British atrocity can be countered with an equally nasty American one. Thats fact. But the way all British are portrayed as mindless zombies, or as evil sadistic nutters really pisses me off.
And the real pisstake at the end of that film is the way that his surviving men, and his slaves, all proudly band together to start work on building Mel a new house, while sniffing away tears! If thats not a class thing I dunno what is!
Theres only two words for this film, and Mel.... complete bollocks.

I agree and a great post http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Hollywood is a powerfull medium and has a great influence upon the world.When they are accurate,that is fine.

But my country (Britain) again and again has been portayed by Hollywood as moronic, incompetent sadists and to tell the truth,I am getting somewhat angry.

The 'Braveheart' film (Mel Gibson again) twisted Scottish/English history in favour of the Scotts.Scottish and English historians agree that the film was a typical Hollywood film that played to the prejudices of Mel Gibson. The Scotts were heroes and of course the Brits were upper class snobs. The history of this conflict is very,very complex.Thanks to Hollywood for showing the world that Mel Gibson is right http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Warrington_Wolf
06-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Gotta agree, mel doesn't like the English for some reason or another.
I didn't like the patriot that much but I did like Braveheart (Gotta love that main theme score) . It wasn't accurate but Ive seen movies that have been worse (Pearl harbour, Bennifer taking on the whole IJN in has "pimped up" P-40).

I think we should get Mel Gibson and Michael Bay together to make a movie where Bennifer wins the BoB for the germans, flying his P-40 and getting revenge on the "little tommies" for whatever bullcrap atrocity they commited. I even have a title, Lethal mad max flies air america, A patriot's story. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

MB_Avro_UK
06-26-2006, 05:31 PM
hi all,

Talking about Mel Gibson....anyone remember the film Gallipoli set in WW1? Again,the Brits were portrayed as evil bast**** who sent heroic Aussies to their doom. This did NOT happen.

More Brits died at Gallipoli than Aussies.The ANZAC contribution is well recognised here in Britain but Mel Gibson of course again stirred it up amongst the British survivors.

What will be his next film?

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

berg417448
06-26-2006, 05:36 PM
hi all,

Talking about Mel Gibson....anyone remember the film Gallipoli set in WW1? Again,the Brits were portrayed as evil bast**** who sent heroic Aussies to their doom. This did NOT happen.

More Brits died at Gallipoli than Aussies.The ANZAC contribution is well recognised here in Britain but Mel Gibson of course again stirred it up amongst the British survivors.

What will be his next film?

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

I don't think that you can blame that particular story line on him. Back then he was just an actor and not a well known one. Someone else wrote the script and directed the movie. Peter Weir wasn't it?

EiZ0N
06-26-2006, 05:39 PM
This topic has made me very very angry.

I hope Mel Gibson has something horrible happen to him.

MB_Avro_UK
06-26-2006, 05:51 PM
hi all,

I'm going to Australia next month (darn women http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif) and maybe I will have a chance to chat with Mel Gibson??

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

WWSensei
06-26-2006, 06:25 PM
What I do find slightly annoying is the tendency sometimes to skew the history and put an American slant on things(U571 anyone!).

Whoa! Now what a doggone minute. Grnated U571 had many a non-historical US pandering, but it had one redeeming factor that pretty much makes up for it.

They arranged to have Bon Jovi get his head knocked off. That HAS to count for something...

:-)

strewth
06-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Blutarski2004:
..... We'll take Mel and Russell, if you will take Tom Cruise off our hands. PLEEEZE.
Ummm......errrrrr.......arrrrrrrr.......Isn't that kind of like chopping off your right leg to save your left leg? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

Yeah well.....Good ol' Tom. Where in the blazes did you find that bloke http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gif He is certainly ummmm.....errrr....unique http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

Avro old mate, I think you may find Mel doesn't live here anymore. But you can drop in and have a few ales with old Rusty. Just don't sit near any phones though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Personally for good storylines, I find some of the movies out of Europe and Asia to be more satisfying and on smaller budgets. I did say some, not all. But those "some" leave the usual Hollyweird poop for dead. (and I'm not talking about the ones from amsterdam) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/crackwhip.gif

Jetbuff
06-26-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
I liked Braveheart and Edward`s Villainous character -which was somewhat entertaining. It was kinda shocking and funny when he threw the effeminate fop of his son out the window and when he ordered archers to fire on Braveheart`s men and one of his Lietenant`s said, "We`ll hit our own men." And he replies, "Yes, but we`ll hit some of theirs too!" With that somewhat `I couldn`t give a toss` look on his face.
And don't forget the puzzled clarification, "we have reserves." One of the best "bad guys" ever, no doubt about it. Treacherous, shrewd, vindictive, murderous and incestuous - villain par excellence.

Udidtoo
06-26-2006, 09:59 PM
I wonder if there is a forum in a parallel universe called "I hate tons of stuff and want to b!atch a lot" and the mods really have to watch it or every other thread degenerates into the discussion of airplanes? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

strewth
06-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Udidtoo:
I wonder if there is a forum in a parallel universe called "I hate tons of stuff and want to b!atch a lot" and the mods really have to watch it or every other thread degenerates into the discussion of airplanes? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
Aw c'mon no teasin' now http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif You know there is and your just upset, because if I remember right, you got banned for constantly dragging our *****ing sessions into those airplane discussions http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif You wer warned and warned, but did you take heed? No. You had to just keep on doing it until they permantly banned you http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif Now I had found it in my heart to forgive you but the others such as B!TCHIN BETTY, HEARTACHE HELGA, WHINEING WILLY and a stack of others still hold the grudge and say you will never be forgiven for your pacifist actions. Mate, I think you done your dash there http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

BoCfuss
06-26-2006, 11:31 PM
The Patriot was the ****. The bad guy in it plays Lucious Malfoy in Harry Potter, matter of fact all the bad guys in Harry Potter are English. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

He plays a good guy in Blackhawk Down, but he plays an American, so, well that proves it Englishmen are the devil.

BFawlty
06-27-2006, 12:09 AM
What do you expect when this kind of stuff is going on!!??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/06/24/goat.demoted.ap/index.html Good find berg417448 LOL!!

I gave up letting Holloywood bother me a long time ago. Their views sure don't represent the vast majority of the USA, including this conspiracy to drag England down! By the way congrats to you for your World Cup win, great finish.

BF

panther3485
06-27-2006, 04:18 AM
"....anyone remember the film Gallipoli set in WW1? Again,the Brits were portrayed as evil bast**** who sent heroic Aussies to their doom. This did NOT happen.
More Brits died at Gallipoli than Aussies...."

Indeed, more British troops were lost there than Australians and New Zealanders combined (the 'ANZACS').

This little snippet of fact is, however, lost on many Australians, who seem to believe that the British just 'sat back drinking tea', while sending the ANZACS to their deaths.

This was established as a widespread belief in Australia long before the film 'Gallipoli' was ever released but to be sure, that movie did nothing to dispel the misinformation. It is beliefs like this that help to encourage anti-British sentiments in this country.
[$hit, there were enough things the British really did wrong or f***ed up, without adding fictional extras!]

Best regards,
panther3485 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ploughman
06-27-2006, 04:42 AM
Quite right Panther. Us Brits have a and long and glorious history of perfidity, incompetence, backstabbing, bigotry and hypocrisy that folk really don't need to make stuff up about us. Somewhere in the history books you'll generally find if there is a sordid act in history, we did it, had a hand in it, stood back and let it happen, or were outraged by it whilst being guilty of the self same crime at some earlier time.

We're a work in progress is all I can say. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

whiteladder
06-27-2006, 05:27 AM
They arranged to have Bon Jovi get his head knocked off. That HAS to count for something...

:-)

True but I also believe it was responsible for making him realise what a truely rubbish actor he is and return to singing...

Now tell me that film doesn`t have something to answer for http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

Blutarski2004
06-27-2006, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by strewth:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blutarski2004:
Ummm......errrrrr.......arrrrrrrr.......Isn't that kind of like chopping off your right leg to save your left leg? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

Yeah well.....Good ol' Tom. Where in the blazes did you find that bloke http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gif He is certainly ummmm.....errrr....unique http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

..... Are you kidding? As far as I'm concerned, it would be the deal of the century.

EiZ0N
06-27-2006, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Ploughman:
Quite right Panther. Us Brits have a and long and glorious history of perfidity, incompetence, backstabbing, bigotry and hypocrisy that folk really don't need to make stuff up about us. Somewhere in the history books you'll generally find if there is a sordid act in history, we did it, had a hand in it, stood back and let it happen, or were outraged by it whilst being guilty of the self same crime at some earlier time.

We're a work in progress is all I can say. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
I think these things are true of every nation to be honest, just on various scales.

panther3485
06-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by EiZ0N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ploughman:

I think these things are true of every nation to be honest, just on various scales. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, 'various scales' is dead right!

The bigger your empire, and the longer it lasts, the more poor unfortunate bastards you've got to work on!

Best regards,
panther3485

"Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

WTE_Ibis
06-27-2006, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by panther3485:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
"....anyone remember the film Gallipoli set in WW1? Again,the Brits were portrayed as evil bast**** who sent heroic Aussies to their doom. This did NOT happen.
More Brits died at Gallipoli than Aussies...."

Indeed, more British troops were lost there than Australians and New Zealanders combined (the 'ANZACS').

This little snippet of fact is, however, lost on many Australians, who seem to believe that the British just 'sat back drinking tea', while sending the ANZACS to their deaths.

This was established as a widespread belief in Australia long before the film 'Gallipoli' was ever released but to be sure, that movie did nothing to dispel the misinformation. It is beliefs like this that help to encourage anti-British sentiments in this country.
[$hit, there were enough things the British really did wrong or f***ed up, without adding fictional extras!]

Best regards,
panther3485 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
-----------------------------------------------

Now c'mon panther3485, we lost that battle all by ourselves fair & square you pommies had nuthen to do with it.Probably off watchen Faulty Towers or sumpthen.
Just by the way, hats off to the Turks, gentleman on this issue.
Attaturk (forgive the spelling) said "to the mothers of the Australians don't weep for your dead sons as we treat them as our own" or something similar and to this day they look after our dead (their invaders).
A big thank you from downunder.

panther3485
06-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Ibis:
"Now c'mon panther3485, we lost that battle all by ourselves fair & square you pommies had nuthen to do with it.Probably off watchen Faulty Towers or sumpthen.
Just by the way, hats off to the Turks, gentleman on this issue.
Attaturk (forgive the spelling) said "to the mothers of the Australians don't weep for your dead sons as we treat them as our own" or something similar and to this day they look after our dead (their invaders).
A big thank you from downunder.

For a start, you can cut out the 'you pommies' $hit with me, mate! As far as I'm concerned I'm as Australian as anyone that was born here.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

That said, I am of predominantly British parentage (bit of coloured South African thrown into the mix) and thus do have some sentiment for 'the mother country', as you might call it.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

And yes, the Turks have shown great chivalry, unlike some of their European counterparts.

Best regards,

Bearcat99
06-27-2006, 10:13 AM

Rob Roy...... BraveHeart.....

LStarosta
06-27-2006, 10:25 AM
He plays a good guy in Blackhawk Down, but he plays an American, so, well that proves it Englishmen are the devil.

Ouch.

You, dear Sir, are a disreputable blighter.

whiteladder
06-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Rob Roy...... BraveHeart.....

It might be a good point to mention that when talking about negative portrails of Brits in historic films what we actually have is a negative portrail of the English. Our Celtic cousins (Welsh, Irish and Scots) are almost always the heroic, idealistic freedom fighters.
While this makes great cinema it does simplify Britains complex history. As some have already pointed out few nations history is spotless. Britains involvement in Ireland is a good example, which many see as an English oppression of a neighbour, re-enforced by popular culture. Of cause British rule in Ireland would have been impossible without the large number of Scottish Protestants setting up plantations there in the 1600`s.
There is a danger when you simplify history that you demonise one ethnic group, when actually all of Britain should take collective responsiblity.

Aaron_GT
06-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Grnated U571 had many a non-historical US pandering, but it had one redeeming factor that pretty much makes up for it.

It was historically inaccurate, but I enjoyed it in the same vein as the likes of The Guns of Navarone.

Cossack13
06-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Actually, Hollywood has chosen the Serbs to play the ultimate villans these days. You know those guys have to be evil 'cuase Clinton dropped bombs on them on Easter morning (as did Hitler, by the by, but that's neither here nor there).

And they won't say anything bad about the Muslims, either. When they made Tom Clancy's The Sum of Their Fears into a movie, the Muslim terrorists where transformed into right-wing neo-Nazis (who probably listen to Limbaugh and vote for Bush).

Blutarski2004
06-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Cossack13:
Actually, Hollywood has chosen the Serbs to play the ultimate villans these days. You know those guys have to be evil 'cuase Clinton dropped bombs on them on Easter morning (as did Hitler, by the by, but that's neither here nor there).

And they won't say anything bad about the Muslims, either. When they made Tom Clancy's The Sum of Their Fears into a movie, the Muslim terrorists where transformed into right-wing neo-Nazis (who probably listen to Limbaugh and vote for Bush).

..... IUUC, that is the reason why "The Sum of All Fears" was the last Clancy book taken to film by Hollywood. When Clancy discovered the story alteration, he went ballistic and informed the studio that no further Clancy properties would be available unless he enjoyed full authority and approval rights over the final script.

Hollywood has refused to accept his terms. Clancy, who is sitting atop a very generously proportioned mountain of money already, could not care less about Hollywood's refusal.

Da_Godfatha
06-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Pffft.... I LIKED Pearl Harbor, Braveheart and the Patriot.

Dudes, Hollywood is ENTERTAIMENT.... can you say that? If you want facts and history.... watch a documentary.
For all you twits who talk about the American education system...it ranked higher in the PISA study than most European countries. Man, India ranked higher than most European countries !

So take a chill pill, and don't worry about who is the Villian.....today it is the Americans. When some world leader farts... it is the Americans fault.
BTW, the last really good European movie I saw was Dark Blue World. Der Untergang (for me at least) tried to make Uncle Adolph look Human, and everyone knows that Austrian (NOT German) smaktard was anything but a human.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Lucius_Esox
06-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Patsy Kensit who did a nude scene (cant remember the name,,, Lethal weapon?) with Mel Gibson said he had a small d**k...

There we go,,, explained http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Capt.England
06-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Anyway, back to Mel `Gibbon` Gibson's next film.

I have heard that he is to make a film about the 1966 World Cup. As we all know, the English cheated when we bribed the ref in giving a goal that did not go over the line. Mel also will show that we faked WW1 and WW2, burnt races that we didn't like and blamed it on the nice Nazis (who were peace loving, BTW) and invented the plague in the middle ages to get rid of Johnny Foreigner and so the English could rule the world!

This is all true, be sure! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

MB_Avro_UK
06-27-2006, 04:38 PM
hi all,

Sooo...Hollywood hates the British more than the Germans....correct??

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

MrMojok
06-27-2006, 04:47 PM
They are still collating the data.

Try back in another week m8.

panther3485
06-28-2006, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Grnated U571 had many a non-historical US pandering, but it had one redeeming factor that pretty much makes up for it.

It was historically inaccurate, but I enjoyed it in the same vein as the likes of The Guns of Navarone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think I could ever do that.

MB_Avro_UK
06-28-2006, 04:46 PM
hi all,

Hollywood is a strong medium.

As mentioned earlier in this thread,an English guy was in a US Cinema during the 'Patriot' movie.The anti-English reaction in the cinema audience was very strong because of the FABRICATED scenes regarding the burning alive of Americans in a church by the British.

If the British equivalent of Hollywood had made a film about the American War of Independence that included scenes of Americans burning alive British troops in a church,what would the reaction have been in the US?

All historians agree that this NEVER happened.The War of Independence was very complex but would not make a simplified script.

Hollywood has a responsibility to tell the truth and NOT fabricate in order to gee-up the masses.

Throughout many places in the world,Hollywood is seen as the 'truth'. As a Brit/English/Welshman....it worries me.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

F6_Ace
06-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Since when didn't Hollywood demonise people in order to fill a few seats. No need to get things right, either - see Pearl Harbor or SPR.

I suspect the real reason why the baddies are English is because they speak English natively and Americans don't like to read subtitles. For proof of that, ask yourself why perfectly good foreign films are ruined in Hollywood remakes.

Talking of baddies, check out the top notch English baddy accent performed by the Ging in 'Tango and Cash' - classic Hollywood output. 'Pass orf you wonker,' I think he said. But, I'm obviously not a Londoner so I might have been mistaken.

danjama
06-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Udidtoo:

danjama
06-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Da_Godfatha:

Dudes, Hollywood is ENTERTAIMENT.... can you say that? If you want facts and history.... watch a documentary.
For all you twits who talk about the American education system...it ranked higher in the PISA study than most European countries. Man, India ranked higher than most European countries !

So take a chill pill, and don't worry about who is the Villian.....today it is the Americans. When some world leader farts... it is the Americans fault.
BTW, the last really good European movie I saw was Dark Blue World. Der Untergang (for me at least) tried to make Uncle Adolph look Human, and everyone knows that Austrian (NOT German) smaktard was anything but a human.

Just my 2 cents worth.

me disagree

RCAF_Irish_403
06-28-2006, 07:15 PM
i think the Nihilists in "the Big Lewbowski" were German

Rjel
06-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Since when is Hollywood the only film capital guilty of re-writing history? Didn't the British film "Breaking the Sound Barrier" do the same thing? Made in 1952, approximately five years after Chuck Yeager performed the feat, the movie portrayed the British accomplishing it by "reversing the controls". So convincing was this film, that Chuck Yeager himself has said that he had people congratulate him on flying faster than sound, it was too bad the British beat him to it.

panther3485
06-29-2006, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by F6_Ace:
"For proof of that, ask yourself why perfectly good foreign films are ruined in Hollywood remakes."

To be fair to Hollywood, their 'remakes' of foreign films are not always failures, especially when they get given the 'good ol' Western twist'.

'The Magnificent Seven' comes to mind; a smash hit in its day, and one that helped to 'make' one or two Stars. It is still a popular and fondly remembered classic. This was a re-cast of the Japanese 'Seven Samurai', I believe.

Best regards,

panther3485
06-29-2006, 05:33 AM
Hi there, Rjel:

Since when is Hollywood the only film capital guilty of re-writing history? Didn't the British film "Breaking the Sound Barrier" do the same thing? Made in 1952, approximately five years after Chuck Yeager performed the feat, the movie portrayed the British accomplishing it by "reversing the controls". So convincing was this film, that Chuck Yeager himself has said that he had people congratulate him on flying faster than sound, it was too bad the British beat him to it.

Well, as I remember the film (long time ago), that happened in a dive, whereas Chuck Yeager's record-breaking effort was a genuine 'level flight' jobbie.

Whatever the case (and I can't remember very clearly so I'm not sure), if the movie misrepresented this and 'made false claims', then it was just as wrong as the Hollywood films that do this.

I think the main difference with Hollywood is its sheer ability to not just entertain, but also to influence impressionable minds in tens and hundreds of millions, all around the World. This is enormous power; Goebbels would have been extremely jealous!

With great power, comes great responsibility.
[Hmmmm... seem to remember hearing that in another Hollywood movie recently.....Oh yeah! Spiderman!]

Best regards,

ploughman
06-29-2006, 05:37 AM
Here's a link (http://www.jonathanforeman.com/movies/casting.html) to an essay on conventions in Hollywood casting that includes what might be called Anglophobia that you might find interesting.

Lots of films get made here in Blighty and our actors benefit from this, Band of Brothers featured many English actors playing Americans, but occassionally casting results in unintended (hopefully) Anglophobia. Take the first 4 Star Wars films where much of the studio work was done in the UK and, as such, many of the actors were recruited locally which resulted in lots of Imperial commander types with English accents. On the face of it that bas@rdo Lucas was painting Poms in a negative light, but maybe he was just recruiting locally. After all, it's not as if Silence of the Lambs was an anti-Welsh film.

Xiolablu3
06-29-2006, 07:20 AM
I think its actually most to do with the accent.

A posh talking stern English accent can sound so evviill. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif
Emperor Palpatine?

Lord Vader,ariiiiiissse....

Aaron_GT
06-29-2006, 03:32 PM
For proof of that, ask yourself why perfectly good foreign films are ruined in Hollywood remakes.

Hollywood is easily capable of making pointless remakes of domestic US films - e.g. Cape Fear, Manchurian Candidate, Dial M for Murder. The list is long!

Aaron_GT
06-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Breaking the Sound Barrier

At least it featured Denholm Elliot who was in Bomber Command in WW2 and was shot down. I think he was a tail gunner in a Lancaster is memory serves.

MB_Avro_UK
06-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Here's a link (http://www.jonathanforeman.com/movies/casting.html) to an essay on conventions in Hollywood casting that includes what might be called Anglophobia that you might find interesting.

Lots of films get made here in Blighty and our actors benefit from this, Band of Brothers featured many English actors playing Americans, but occassionally casting results in unintended (hopefully) Anglophobia. Take the first 4 Star Wars films where much of the studio work was done in the UK and, as such, many of the actors were recruited locally which resulted in lots of Imperial commander types with English accents. On the face of it that bas@rdo Lucas was painting Poms in a negative light, but maybe he was just recruiting locally. After all, it's not as if Silence of the Lambs was an anti-Welsh film.

Great post Ploughman http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

And an excellent link. Hollywood is in danger of becoming a Directors Propoganda Medium.

I am English and of course have an English accent.If I was to visit the US next week would I be regarded as a Colonial barsteward who according to Hollywood tortured Americans,Australians,Scottish and Irish??

As this thread runs...it appears that Hollywood hates the British more than the Germans.... c'est la vie as the French say...

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

BoCfuss
06-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Great post Ploughman http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

And an excellent link. Hollywood is in danger of becoming a Directors Propoganda Medium.

I am English and of course have an English accent.If I was to visit the US next week would I be regarded as a Colonial barsteward who according to Hollywood tortured Americans,Australians,Scottish and Irish??

As this thread runs...it appears that Hollywood hates the British more than the Germans.... c'est la vie as the French say...

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Please don't get hollywood confused with the rest of us. Yes, we think you are a barsteward, but its not because your English. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

HerrGraf
06-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Personally I think you are all wrong. Because of its very leftist leanings, modern Hollywood hates the U.S. more than anyone else. I do not go to see any Hollyweed movies anymore because they are sooo full of excrement- no matter which political view they have!
The whole point of the industry is to make huge amounts of money. Reality and history have nothing to do with the story line. What ever suckers people into paying to watch a flick is all that counts.
Personally, I would like all politicans and media types to take manditory drug testing so that we can see what is influencing thier thought processes.

WTE_Galway
06-29-2006, 10:52 PM
British film version of BOB

Group of very professional and dedicated young men work hard against the odds as a team to achieve the almost impossible through great teamwork and perserverance.

Hollywood film version of BOB

Very sexy american proceeds to impress numerous British girls before improving the inefficient British aircraft with good old american knowhow and chewing gum and single handedly defeats the luftwaffe in a couple of quick missions where he almost dies because the evil but stupid german ace cheats but in the end wins out because he is American after all.

Top_Gun_1_0_1
06-29-2006, 10:59 PM
the germs should h8 hollywood coz of d ww2 films..they always loooose http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

Abbuzze
06-30-2006, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Top_Gun_1_0_1:
the germs should h8 hollywood coz of d ww2 films..they always loooose http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

No, we "h8" them for idiotic stories http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ever saw Bulletproof Monk?

A Wehrmacht unit attacks a tibet monastery. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

A chinese unit would make sense but MGM feard the chinese government I think...

Blutarski2004
06-30-2006, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
British film version of BOB

Group of very professional and dedicated young men work hard against the odds as a team to achieve the almost impossible through great teamwork and perserverance.

Very sexy american proceeds to impress numerous British girls before improving the inefficient British aircraft with good old american knowhow and chewing gum and single handedly defeats the luftwaffe in a couple of quick missions where he almost dies because the evil but stupid german ace cheats but in the end wins out because he is American after all.

..... That about sums up the abilities of Hollywood.

ploughman
06-30-2006, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Breaking the Sound Barrier

At least it featured Denholm Elliot who was in Bomber Command in WW2 and was shot down. I think he was a tail gunner in a Lancaster is memory serves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At the risk of sailing a bit close to the wind you've got to enjoy the irony of Denholm Elliot being a rear gunner in the RAF.

Kernow
06-30-2006, 06:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aaron_GT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Breaking the Sound Barrier

At least it featured Denholm Elliot who was in Bomber Command in WW2 and was shot down. I think he was a tail gunner in a Lancaster is memory serves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At the risk of sailing a bit close to the wind you've got to enjoy the irony of Denholm Elliot being a rear gunner in the RAF. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But actually he was a sgt wireless op / air gunner on a Halifax sqn, so would have been the mid-upper gunner.

Shot down after descending below cloud to bomb U-boat pens at Flensburg, Elliott and 2 other crewmembers survived the ditching into the North Sea and became POWs. It was during his time in a POW camp that he got into amateur dramatics, apparently.

Cossack13
06-30-2006, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Blutarski2004:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WTE_Galway:

..... That about sums up the abilities of Hollywood. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Except with modern-day Hollywood, the guy would be gay and the film would end with him and his "life-partner" marching on Berlin and talking the Nazis into peaceful surrender.

ploughman
06-30-2006, 07:18 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/mctomney/roehm.jpg

Top_Gun_1_0_1
07-01-2006, 01:45 AM
sahara is a good movie though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

MO_JOJO
07-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Top_Gun_1_0_1:
the germs should h8 hollywood coz of d ww2 films..they always loooose

They shouldn't hate H.Wood as much as the Native Americans (aka. Indians) should or do. You want to talk about a group that always loses...in the "Indian's" case it was probably more true-to-life, sadly. I'm just glad that they have made some more-realistic movies in recent decades, like Dances with Wolves, where you see more of the Natives' culture and they are the good guys.

SeaFireLIV
07-01-2006, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Da_Godfatha:

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ok, step back and rethink these movies you mention, but this time make all the villains in the movies American.

Now replay the films in your mind.

Not quite so nice now is it?

I know how the Americans feel about being portrayed in a bad light - but how would you feel if you saw a film in a cinema where Americans were shown unhistorically and untruthfully burning British civilians alive in a British movie with Brits getting mad around you? You wouldn`t like it if films were made portraying Americans as badly as the Patriot portrayed the British, especially when it`s historically inaccurate.

Y`know I don`t even think we would make a film so unhistorically murderous against the Americans as Mel`s Patriot is against the British... It`s just not like us.

huggy87
07-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Da_Godfatha:

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ok, step back and rethink these movies you mention, but this time make all the villains in the movies American.

Now replay the films in your mind.

Not quite so nice now is it?

I know how the Americans feel about being portrayed in a bad light - but how would you feel if you saw a film in a cinema where Americans were shown unhistorically and untruthfully burning British civilians alive in a British movie with Brits getting mad around you? You wouldn`t like it if films were made portraying Americans as badly as the Patriot portrayed the British, especially when it`s historically inaccurate.

Y`know I don`t even think we would make a film so unhistorically murderous against the Americans as Mel`s Patriot is against the British... It`s just not like us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brits make americans the villain too. Ever seen Billy Bob Thornton as the president in love actually. That was more painful than the patriot's church burning scene.

huggy87
07-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by MO_JOJO:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Top_Gun_1_0_1:
the germs should h8 hollywood coz of d ww2 films..they always loooose

They shouldn't hate H.Wood as much as the Native Americans (aka. Indians) should or do. You want to talk about a group that always loses...in the "Indian's" case it was probably more true-to-life, sadly. I'm just glad that they have made some more-realistic movies in recent decades, like Dances with Wolves, where you see more of the Natives' culture and they are the good guys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"...they {the native americans} are the good guys."

That is as incorrect and broadbrush a statement as saying that the Germans and British are the bad guys. The indians certainly had a great many injustices done to them by my forefathers, but to assume they were always the good guys is misguided. Left to their own devices, they were just as cruel and inhumane to each other as any culture in the world. The tribe with which I am the most familiar, the modocs, from my little corner of northern california, were quite fierce, both to whites and local indian tribes. They would routinely raid other tribes, especially the pit river and klamath, killing any men around, and carrying off any women for slavery or trade. In 1846, they massacred their first wagon train. They killed everyone except two women they took as hostage. They later murdered these two as well. I could go on and on about the modocs and the war they later fought with the US. It's a fascinating story that flies in the face of every misconception that a 1950's western or guilt ridden 1990's movie would have you believe. Suffice it to say, the natives were just as flawed and heroic as any other culture. Does that excuse what happened to them in the end, NO. But being indigenous does not automatically make you the good guy.

CornbreadPattie
07-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Conservative Americans.

No, they're just a bunch of sobbing whiners.