PDA

View Full Version : Computer problem!

Hurricane_320
01-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi. I have a brand new computer (~3 weeks) which i have slowly been installing. Yesterday i however FINALLY installed IL2:FB/AEP/PF. Here the problem started. Whenever I do things that actually need lots of power and memory, for example play games with high graphics as IL2:FB/AEP/PF my computer automatically shuts down to stand-by mode after a period of about five minutes of gaming. After that it does it regularly every third minute or so. Could this be an overheating problem? I have no other than the default fans, which seem to work fine. Thanks for your help!

~S~

Hurricane_320

Hurricane_320
01-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi. I have a brand new computer (~3 weeks) which i have slowly been installing. Yesterday i however FINALLY installed IL2:FB/AEP/PF. Here the problem started. Whenever I do things that actually need lots of power and memory, for example play games with high graphics as IL2:FB/AEP/PF my computer automatically shuts down to stand-by mode after a period of about five minutes of gaming. After that it does it regularly every third minute or so. Could this be an overheating problem? I have no other than the default fans, which seem to work fine. Thanks for your help!

~S~

Hurricane_320

LuftWulf190
01-24-2006, 10:17 PM
what are your system specs, and spicificaly what is your PSU? What Temperatures are you getting for your CPU and GPU?

jarink
01-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Yes, my initial read would be a het problem. Games typically will max out the CPU and graphics card, generating more heat than you see in 'normal' operation. I'd recommend making sure there are several inches of open space in front of and behind your PC for better air flow. Try to move cables (especially ribbon cables) to one side so they don't block airflow inside the case as well. Adding case fans can help cool things down, but I'd figure out what's going on here first before throwing any money at it.

Troll2k
01-25-2006, 12:22 AM
If you built the machine yourself the thermal paste bond(between cpu and heat sink) may not be good enough.The fan will work but you will not get a good heat transfer.

Hurricane_320
01-25-2006, 06:04 AM
Nah, the machine is bought as it is.

Acer Aspire A300:

AMD Athlon64 3200+

2 x 512mb RAM

200gb Hard Drive

A reading/writing DVD-R/RW/CD/CD-R/RW

ATI X700 SE, TVO - PCIE Video card

Realtek ALC655 Sound Card

Windows XP Home FIN

CD_kp84yb
01-25-2006, 08:09 AM
Heya,

Hmmmm AMD, well the stockcooler suck big times, but that isnt the fatal one here,
Open your case and convince yourself if all the fans are working correct, and doublecheck if the CPUfan revs up if the CPU is under load, just start IL2 and play the blackdeath track, let it loop.
Now you must be able to feel what is getting to hot, and i realy hope you have a class A powersuply, like Aopen or whatever, and not some El Cheapo.
If the PC runs the BDtrack for 45 minutes when the case is open then the airflow sux.Put some fans in the back that suck out the hot air If not , goto to the bios and look by what temp the PC should shut down or goto sleep, it could be that this setting is to low.

Load MB5 or speedfan or pcwizzard to monitor the temps.

Regards

A big PS here, IF YOU STILL HAVE WARANTY dont fidle yourself, let the guys who build and testes it check.
tell them the probs and they must fix it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

leadbaloon
01-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Sounds like heat to me too.

Try downloading motherboard monitor from here http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ After you've installed it, run your game for a few minutes then exit, run MBM and it should give you an idea of whether or not you're overheating (CPU temp over 55C isn't too clever).

BTW, If you look at the General Discussion main page, in the top left corner there's a link to the Community Help Forum (Technical Support). If you post your computer problems in there you'll find people who really know their stuff who can offer better advice than you'll find in here as a rule.

Jumoschwanz
01-25-2006, 08:19 AM
I run an AMD with a stock heatsink and fan, no problems at all. I do have a big case though with lots of room inside and an extra fan on top sucking air in the sides and out the top.

On ready made and bought computers, often the only ventilation for the case is the power supply fan, and this is not enough for high-performance software running where the cpu and graphics card is working hard.

Send me your computer and a few hundred bucks and I will transplant it into a Lian-li aluminum case with enough fans to ventilate a coal-mine. Or better yet, do it yourself, learn something and save money.

Jumoschwanz